The Student Room Group

Dental H&T or Biomed to get into dentistry?

Incase I cannot get into dentistry, should I choose dental hygiene and therapy as backup or choose biomed? I would probably choose to get into dentistry after

Thank you
Original post by katie.lauxoxo
Incase I cannot get into dentistry, should I choose dental hygiene and therapy as backup or choose biomed? I would probably choose to get into dentistry after

Thank you

Hello,

It really depends on you. Personally, I would say if you 100% know you want to go into dentistry, then go ahead with dental hygiene and therapy because you'll gain insight and exposure into dentistry as a whole. You'll be able to gain basic knowledge with regards to the anatomy of head and neck. Additionally, dental hygiene therapists are able to do more or less the same things as dentists, just not to full capacity. You'll benefit from understanding how the dental team work together, as well as various placement opportunities in the real world. You're exposed to the clinical settings very early on in the course and start to see patients.
However if you're still unsure or want to see how it is first, then by all means you can do Bio-med and if you change your mind, you can use the Bio-med to explore what other professions you can go into and take it from there. Then again, if you do dental hygiene and therapy, you will have 3 years to see if you like it or not and take it from there. Hope that helps :smile:.

Glad to hear you're interested in Dentistry/Dental Hygiene and Therapy. Good luck

Rebecca x
Original post by Becca_1998
Hello,

It really depends on you. Personally, I would say if you 100% know you want to go into dentistry, then go ahead with dental hygiene and therapy because you'll gain insight and exposure into dentistry as a whole. You'll be able to gain basic knowledge with regards to the anatomy of head and neck. Additionally, dental hygiene therapists are able to do more or less the same things as dentists, just not to full capacity. You'll benefit from understanding how the dental team work together, as well as various placement opportunities in the real world. You're exposed to the clinical settings very early on in the course and start to see patients.
However if you're still unsure or want to see how it is first, then by all means you can do Bio-med and if you change your mind, you can use the Bio-med to explore what other professions you can go into and take it from there. Then again, if you do dental hygiene and therapy, you will have 3 years to see if you like it or not and take it from there. Hope that helps :smile:.

Glad to hear you're interested in Dentistry/Dental Hygiene and Therapy. Good luck

Rebecca x

Thank you for your response :smile:!

And yes, I most likely will be going into dentistry. I acc did terrible on the ucat last year and got a band 4 and low average score, so i decided to drop it and go into architecture but since corona, ive been thinking that i should give dentistry another chance

Katie x
Hey, that's fine .
Wow, completely different path lol. Definitely do some research and try open days, and look for anything online with regards to courses/things available for you to get some insight/experience into the dentistry profession. There are loads of accounts for student dental hygiene and therapist that give their experience on what they did to get into uni etc. I'm an applicant for dental hygiene and therapy and I know Plymouth university are doing a support system for applicants, like interview tips, application tips, including UCAT etc and they're giving advice. You'll be matched with a current student through this mentoring scheme, so maybe look into that.
Definitely look into more before making a decision. Let me know if I can be of anymore help ☺️.

Rebecca x
Hey, that's fine .
Wow, completely different path lol. Definitely do some research and try open days, and look for anything online with regards to courses/things available for you to get some insight/experience into the dentistry profession. There are loads of accounts for student dental hygiene and therapist that give their experience on what they did to get into uni etc. I'm an applicant for dental hygiene and therapy and I know Plymouth university are doing a support system for applicants, like interview tips, application tips, including UCAT etc and they're giving advice. You'll be matched with a current student through this mentoring scheme, so maybe look into that.
Definitely look into more before making a decision. Let me know if I can be of anymore help ☺️.

Rebecca x

Hi,
Well before UCAT happened, I did go around focused on dentistry when going to open days last year. I seriously dk why I ONLY JUST searched this up, but I was I just read what a dental therapists does, and realised its acc very similar to that of an actual dentist. May I ask, what got you to do dental therapy rather than dentistry?

Katie x
Reply 5
Hello,

Rebecca x

Do you do dental hygiene and therapy ?
If so what a levels did you do
I was planning on doing dentistry but I don’t think I will be able to cope with both bio and chem . Also what is the career prospect and is it hard to get a job in dental hygiene and therapy ?
Hello,No, I study dental hygiene alone currently, and may be doing a top up year for dental therapy. I did biology A Level (received a grade E) and then also got a distinction in dental nursing as a foundation degree. I also did religious studies and a AS Level Business studies. The career prospects as a dental hygiene therapist is good, although you may find that you don't use the therapy side as much, from what I've heard from people. It's definitely a good career aspect though, especially thinking into her future, because I do think they'll be making more use of dental therapists in the near future. Why not dream big, but just have a good mindset, cos it'll be a lot of work, but if you're passionate about it, then you'll get through

Quick Reply

Latest