The Student Room Group

Why do GCSE's have 3 papers?

I did mine in 1999 so doesn't matter but I was listening to radio 1 and I started thinking...When you do a pilots exam...it's one paper not higher middle or lower...and the percentage tells you how good you are..

But why do gcse's have to be biased against you...If you do lower you can't get above a certain level...and if you're higher you can't go below c...that's just stupid...

I did foundation on a few and got an "e" for maths...Ok so they put a few questions in the higher that you learn in top set...but why not structure one paper in equal amounts and just have it like that...Other exams happen like this...just one paper...It doesn't become biased then...and I don't mean to favour foundation because it's not favouring foundation...that's what I mean...I did foundation and got f's I did 3 highers in science and got c's...the percentage system for the higher paper seems better and for foundation it seems worse...I'd rather have just one paper so it's fair...
In general, I think the tier system is fair as it allows a person to optomise their ability, however, when it becomes unfair is when a person is straddling the boarder line between a grade that is available at the top grade at foundation, and a grade that is only available at higher.
Reply 2
There's a massive variation in mathematical ability, which is why you have so many papers - it's best to be set a paper appropriate for your skill level, because it can guage how good you are more accurately.
True...I think my angst was that I was told to do a certain level of paper and to not be allowed to choose which I wanted to do...
spex
There's a massive variation in mathematical ability, which is why you have so many papers - it's best to be set a paper appropriate for your skill level, because it can guage how good you are more accurately.

ok but say I could think of this structure:

Current exam system: (Exagerated)

Higher: 50% = A
Multiplication
Subtraction
Division
Addition

Lower: 90% = F
Addition
Subtraction

Why not do this:

One Paper:

Multiplication Lower/Higher possibly get these correct
Subtraction Lower/Higher possibly get these correct
Division Lower Part only got these correct =50% = C
Addition Lower part only got these correct =50% = C

So if higher get's all correct they get A aswell as the lower people
And it's just like exam papers are in the real world...
noone even bothered :O
Reply 6
I agree OP...the tiers didn't half make me mad this year as my school entered me for the lower tier(F) meaning can only achieve a C..it's ****ed up. But I do understand why they have thm..as the F is easier for those not so academic but in y circumstance it made me :angry:

For my science I had to sit, 3 managed tho:biggrin:
Yes but no because...If it was re-structered...High questions 1, 2, 3 the high will answer their high qustions and lower and will get A*, the lower people will answer theirs and get upto "C" if they only answer theirs but can then answer the high questions to be in the running for an "A*"
I mean that's how IQ questions are set out...easy q's first and then it gets harder...

Latest

Trending

Trending