The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Can I get in??

Hii
I am a year 12 student studying Law,Politics and Sociology.
I have consistently got grades As from the start of y12. My predicted grades are most likely going to be A*A*A (A*AA) at least. I come from a deprived area and could get contextual offers. My GCSE’s are 765555CD*D*(at a low achieving state school) I’m form rep, prefect and an ESOL volunteer. With a good personal statement, lnat score and reference do I stand a chance getting a place for LLB at UCL,KCL,QMUL, ETC? Thanks so much :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What's your maths, english language and modern foreign language gcse grades?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Vg120803
Hii
I have consistently got grades As from the start of y12. My predicted grades are most likely going to be A*A*A (A*AA) at least. I come from a deprived area and could get contextual offers. My GCSE’s are 765555CD*D*(at a low achieving state school) I’m form rep, prefect and an ESOL volunteer. With a good personal statement, lnat score and reference do I stand a chance getting a place for LLB at UCL,KCL,QMUL, ETC? Thanks so much :smile:

What were your GCSE grades for core subjects and what course are you planning to do in uni?
Hii

Not to sound spiteful or anything but you must be fishing for complements here cause your possible alevel predication are amazingly good. GCSEs could have been a bit better but you can't change that now as long as you have over a 5 in maths and English you are good.
Original post by Stanza03
Not to sound spiteful or anything but you must be fishing for complements here cause your possible alevel predication are amazingly good. GCSEs could have been a bit better but you can't change that now as long as you have over a 5 in maths and English you are good.

No I think that is a genuine worry. They obviously aren’t bad gcses but they are worse than what most of the competition for offers will have.

I definitely think you have a good chance at all of those unis if everything else can make up for it however
Original post by JGoosey2002
No I think that is a genuine worry. They obviously aren’t bad gcses but they are worse than what most of the competition for offers will have.

I definitely think you have a good chance at all of those unis if everything else can make up for it however

Upon my research in KCL and UCL as I too wanted to do Law before but have changed my mind.

Kings straight up told me they don't look at GCSEs and alevels and other contributing factors are way more important.

However UCL did say they do care about GCSEs but they at least wanted a 5 in Maths and English. They said if the applicant is outstanding then it will be up to the department's discretion if they take you on or not.

Don't know about QMUL or ETC.
Upon my research in KCL and UCL as I too wanted to do Law before but have changed my mind.

Kings straight up told me they don't look at GCSEs and alevels and other contributing factors are way more important.

However UCL did say they do care about GCSEs but they at least wanted a 5 in Maths and English. They said if the applicant is outstanding then it will be up to the department's discretion if they take you on or not.

Don't know about QMUL or ETC.

Yeah but what I was saying was if they hadn’t called up KCL like you had, they wouldn’t have known that. I highly doubt someone would make a thread to flex on randoms on the Internet. You’re probably right OP will be fine but it’s understandable they’re concerned
Yeah but what I was saying was if they hadn’t called up KCL like you had, they wouldn’t have known that. I highly doubt someone would make a thread to flex on randoms on the Internet. You’re probably right OP will be fine but it’s understandable they’re concerned

Understandable to be concerned but if they had alevels like that what's the need for concern. It would be concerning if they were getting B's and C's.

I'm only a little annoyed cause last year when GCSE results came out loads of people were like 'i got 9 9's and 2 8's will I get into Cambridge' as if they had just sat their alevels it just kinda me feel **** about mine and I know others who felt the same.

it's like weird flex but okay.
Understandable to be concerned but if they had alevels like that what's the need for concern. It would be concerning if they were getting B's and C's.

I'm only a little annoyed cause last year when GCSE results came out loads of people were like 'i got 9 9's and 2 8's will I get into Cambridge' as if they had just sat their alevels it just kinda me feel **** about mine and I know others who felt the same.

Lmao. Don’t feel **** about ur grades :frown: Why did you switch from law?
Lmao. Don’t feel **** about ur grades :frown: Why did you switch from law?

Decided it wasn't the path for me in Alevel even though I was doing well in class assessments but in the mocks I got a D.

It was WAYY to much content for to actually retain, I felt like I wasn't actually learning but was memorising it all. I decided it was either Law or Classical Civ, I actually liked classics but didn't really like law at all so I dropped it for Media instead.

It's weird cause whenever I do those career quizzes I always end up getting solicitor or barrister.
Reply 10
Original post by PetitePanda
What's your maths, english language and modern foreign language gcse grades?

I have a 5 in both but I was actually 2 marks off a 6 in both too. My school weren’t able to send my remarks for some weird reason :frown: I think I can mention this in my reference. I was also 1 mark off a 7 in English lit. My school also didn’t have a language gcse to offer, I’ve seen that ucl don’t mind no language gcse but they’ll put you on a language course when you join
Reply 11
Original post by Twittwoooo
What were your GCSE grades for core subjects and what course are you planning to do in uni?

I was 2 mark off a 6 in both maths and English language. 1 mark off a 7 in English lit and I have a 55 in combined science as i was only allowed to do foundation science. I want to do law :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12

Haha not trying to show off was just giving an insight on what my application would look like :smile: a lot of hard work and constant revision though!
Reply 13

I was thinking the same, with my gcses but hopefully I have a chance ! :smile:
Reply 14

I was concerned because my gcses aren’t up to their usual standards and my actual a level subjects aren’t as strong as subjects such as sciences etc. :smile:
I have a 5 in both but I was actually 2 marks off a 6 in both too. My school weren’t able to send my remarks for some weird reason :frown: I think I can mention this in my reference. I was also 1 mark off a 7 in English lit. My school also didn’t have a language gcse to offer, I’ve seen that ucl don’t mind no language gcse but they’ll put you on a language course when you join

I think you can get it but it will be reliant on whether they will consider the marks off a 6 as your other gcses arent really competitive for law but in the context of a low achieving state school, it might be okay if you did better than the average performance. They are quite rigid on GCSEs @Euphoria101 any input on the weightings for UCL? If they are able to not mind gcses with the context of your circumstances, I think you have a chance with a good application and a good LNAT score but its just hard to know as you dont really have extenuating circumstances - maybe contact them about this? If you didnt have a language gcse, that would be fine if your school didnt offer it but I'm not sure how you would say this (maybe in the reference) but they do have alternatives like a language course
Reply 16
I think you can get it but it will be reliant on whether they will consider the marks off a 6 as your other gcses arent really competitive for law but in the context of a low achieving state school, it might be okay if you did better than the average performance. They are quite rigid on GCSEs @Euphoria101 any input on the weightings for UCL? If they are able to not mind gcses with the context of your circumstances, I think you have a chance with a good application and a good LNAT score but its just hard to know as you dont really have extenuating circumstances - maybe contact them about this? If you didnt have a language gcse, that would be fine if your school didnt offer it but I'm not sure how you would say this (maybe in the reference) but they do have alternatives like a language course

I emailed them about it and they said that they have waived the grade 6 requirement sometimes as they look at all applications differently. They also said the requirement for language is okay as I can take a lang course :smile:
I emailed them about it and they said that they have waived the grade 6 requirement sometimes as they look at all applications differently. They also said the requirement for language is okay as I can take a lang course :smile:

That's good then. It's worth applying if you think you have a chance + you still have 4 other options. Yeah I know I was just worried that they wouldnt know but that's good they know about it. Good luck btw :rave:
I was concerned because my gcses aren’t up to their usual standards and my actual a level subjects aren’t as strong as subjects such as sciences etc. :smile:

But your doing law so why would they need you to have some subjects like science. Law is an essay based course, all your subjects are essay writing Alevels. No need for science

Thanks for the tag!

OP: the issue is that no one really knows if they have ever or would be willing to waive GCSE requirements if there are extenuating circumstances.

I’m not sure if you’ve said you had extenuating circumstances/attended a low performing state school for GCSE, but if you have I definitely think it’s worth emailing UCL to explain your situation.

The second issue is that they may ask you to resit Maths and English Lang as part of a conditional offer if you get one. I don’t think I’ve ever heard this has happened, but I also don’t know anyone that has applied to UCL law without meeting the GCSE requirements. But my friend who applied a few years ago (I have absolutely no idea what course or uni: I think the course was some kind of engineering) had to resit English Lang as part of his conditional offer. Ofc this is anecdotal, so again you should see what the admissions team says first.

Basically, email and mention:
-Any contextual info or extenuating circumstances.
-Your school didn’t let you send in for remark
-Close to 6s
-But your grades now show an upward trajectory, so would they be willing to accept your GCSE grades as is provided your UCAS references mentions this all in your reference?

I’m on my break at work so if none of this makes sense and is waffly I apologise😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending