The Student Room Group

Effective hayfever nasal spray?!?!

So I am a massive sufferer of hayfever & while online shopping today I saw an adult nasal spray said to be really effective & relieves symptoms. My doctor has prescribed me this awful spray that just makes my symptoms worse plus it has a really awful smell (reminds me of aqueous cream) it really hasn't been agreeing with me. I'm fed up of going to my doctor who prescribes me useless stuff so I wanted to know if anyone has used it before/if it's any good ? It's called Pirinase hayfever relief for adults, fluticasone propionate it costs £6, apparently it's the UK number one brand for allergy care. I hope this is the answer to my hayfever problems. It also says that it's for adults 18 & over, I am 17 years old so is it a problem if i take it ?
Original post by Anonymous
So I am a massive sufferer of hayfever & while online shopping today I saw an adult nasal spray said to be really effective & relieves symptoms. My doctor has prescribed me this awful spray that just makes my symptoms worse plus it has a really awful smell (reminds me of aqueous cream) it really hasn't been agreeing with me. I'm fed up of going to my doctor who prescribes me useless stuff so I wanted to know if anyone has used it before/if it's any good ? It's called Pirinase hayfever relief for adults, fluticasone propionate it costs £6, apparently it's the UK number one brand for allergy care. I hope this is the answer to my hayfever problems. It also says that it's for adults 18 & over, I am 17 years old so is it a problem if i take it ?

What is the name of the spray that your GP prescribes? It may well be the same spray. Personally, I find antihistamine tablets work better for me than the sprays.
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
What is the name of the spray that your GP prescribes? It may well be the same spray. Personally, I find antihistamine tablets work better for me than the sprays.

My GP prescribed me Beconase Aqueous nasal spray, I really think it doesn't work for me. How bad are your symptoms & what brand of antihistamines do you use? Does it relieve symptoms quickly ?
My GP prescribed me Beconase Aqueous nasal spray, I really think it doesn't work for me. How bad are your symptoms & what brand of antihistamines do you use? Does it relieve symptoms quickly ?

The sprays have different steroids as the active ingredient. It might be worth trying the Pirinase but probably best to check with a pharmacist if it's OK for you to use it if you are under 18 (I think the steroid in it is stronger).

My symptoms are not too bad but there are days when I really struggle to breath and have really itchy eyes. I've used various antihistamines and they all work relatively well, usually within an hour or two. The last ones I had were loratadine.
Reply 4
The sprays have different steroids as the active ingredient. It might be worth trying the Pirinase but probably best to check with a pharmacist if it's OK for you to use it if you are under 18 (I think the steroid in it is stronger).

My symptoms are not too bad but there are days when I really struggle to breath and have really itchy eyes. I've used various antihistamines and they all work relatively well, usually within an hour or two. The last ones I had were loratadine.

I've also seen fexofenadine nasal spray, it's not for adults so maybe that's a better option for me. Any experiences ?
I've also seen fexofenadine nasal spray, it's not for adults so maybe that's a better option for me. Any experiences ?

Fexofenadine is an antihistamine rather than a steroid but again, I'm not sure if it would be OK for you or not. I haven't used it myself. Have you tried asking your GP about getting a different spray?
Reply 6
I'd go back to your GP and explain that it's not working/it's making it worse. There's a lot of anti histimaines you can try.
Reply 7
Fexofenadine is an antihistamine rather than a steroid but again, I'm not sure if it would be OK for you or not. I haven't used it myself. Have you tried asking your GP about getting a different spray?

Yeah, I was thinking about asking again but every spray they seem to give me are ineffective so I've just been browsing the internet looking for some sprays myself then asking people about their experiences lol
Reply 8
Original post by Pathway
I'd go back to your GP and explain that it's not working/it's making it worse. There's a lot of anti histimaines you can try.

Yeah I feel as if I may have to resort to going back to my GP, are you a hayfever sufferer ?
Reply 9
Yeah I feel as if I may have to resort to going back to my GP, are you a hayfever sufferer ?

I have something called mast cell activation syndrome which does cause hayfever type stuff (amongst a bunch of other issues, like hives, angioedema, vomitting, etc.) so I take a cocktail of antihistamines and other medications to control it.

It sucks but sometimes you have to trial different things to see what works.

Quick Reply

Latest