The Student Room Group

Alcohol

I have a drinking problem and it's starting to affect my life and my eyes and memory. I think it is the right time to quit, but I have nothing else to replace it with.

I don't drink everyday, but most weeks. I usually knock back at least ten pints, then blackout. I wake up the next morning with a splitting headache and feel sick. I have made so many mistakes due to alcohol, but now I think the time has come to find a bit of willpower. But, what could I replace it with?

Alcohol has me in its clutches and is holding me tight, I want to escape, but the force is too strong. How could I break free?
Have you tried getting in contact with local alcohol support services?
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
Have you tried getting in contact with local alcohol support services?

I thought they'd be closed due to lockdown? If not, I'll give them a call or perhaps email.
Original post by Carrot Head
I thought they'd be closed due to lockdown? If not, I'll give them a call or perhaps email.

They should still be offering telephone support and advice. Definitely worth giving them a call.
Reply 4
They should still be offering telephone support and advice. Definitely worth giving them a call.

Thanks, but what could I replace alcohol with?
Reply 5

Replace it? as in you want to blackout and get a hangover from something different?

Exercise, or a hobby of some kind. And when the lockdown is over, you can meet up with friends.
Reply 7
Original post by Sinnoh
Replace it? as in you want to blackout and get a hangover from something different?

No, that is most definitely not what I meant. In order to successfully quit an addiction, it needs to be replaced with something else to occupy the mind.
Reply 8
Exercise, or a hobby of some kind. And when the lockdown is over, you can meet up with friends.

My only true passion is writing fiction, perhaps I will try to write a screenplay. But I appreciate your help.
What’s your life like in general? You could make small changes to your diet and focus on looking after yourself. There should be support services available as other users have said. Well done for admitting you have a problem. I know things probably seem grim now, but you can take control of your life and do whatever you want from here on in.
My only true passion is writing fiction, perhaps I will try to write a screenplay. But I appreciate your help.

Sounds like a great hobby. When I used to write, I would get so engrossed in it that I would lose track of everything else, so maybe it will work as a distraction for you too. Good luck.
Original post by YaliaV
What’s your life like in general? You could make small changes to your diet and focus on looking after yourself. There should be support services available as other users have said. Well done for admitting you have a problem. I know things probably seem grim now, but you can take control of your life and do whatever you want from here on in.

Here is what my life is like. Imagine standing against a brick wall, the past is behind but still visible, everyone else is moving forward, yet I can't seem to demolish this wall. Basically, I feel stuck in life and can't seem to move on like everyone else. The reason is drink is to drown my surrows, I don't really enjoy it anymore.
Sounds like a great hobby. When I used to write, I would get so engrossed in it that I would lose track of everything else, so maybe it will work as a distraction for you too. Good luck.

I understand that completely, the most hardest part isn't the planning, it's the writing. Perhaps, one day I shall become famous, lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending