Official Playstation 5 Thread

Watch
quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone,

On Thursday 11th June at 9pm GMT, Sony will finally unveil the PS5 after months of teasing. The console is expected to go on sale later on this year.

Feel free to post, speculate etc about the new console. Just remember, no discrimination
Last edited by quasa; 4 weeks ago
quasa
Rep:
?
in terms of specs, the console is pretty much a custom machine. It uses variable frequency CPU and GPUs, both of which are AMD (the CPU is a 3rd generation Ryzen Zen 2 processor with 8 cores at 3.5Ghz variable, the GPU is a custom RDNA2 chip with 2.23Ghz variable frequency, ray tracing and 16GB GDDR6 RAM at 448GB/s).

The biggest tech however were the audio tech and the custom SSD.

The PS5 uses 3D audio support, which allows players to experience different sounds as they move in different directions using different audio sources such as basic headphones to loudspeakers after launch. Considering Sony is telling everyone to watch the conference and trailers with headphones instead of loudspeakers to me suggests it must be a decent feature.

The new controller, the dualsense, looks a bit like an XBOX controller with the PS4 controller layout. The controller does have adaptive haptic feedback for the L2 and R2 buttons and has a built in microphone. the share button is replaced by a "create" button which suggests that players would have greater options for editing videos and sharing online. In contrast, the fastest M.2 SSDs on the market can manage just above 3.2GB/s.

the star of the show however is the new SSD, which uses a 4th Gen M.2 SSD. Whilst the XBOX series X has a 2.4GB/S (RAW) and 4.8GB/S (compressed) I/O throughput, the PS5's custom SSD has a 5.5GB/s Raw Bandwith (so minimum), increased to about 8-9GB/S compressed. The SSD has been touted as being so fast that games developers are having to rethink how they design games.

the console can support 4k at 120fps games and can view 8K movies, however most 3rd games at launch are probably going to be the old 4k 60fps malarky. Kazanouri Yamauchi, the creator of Gran Turismo, has hinted however that 4k 120fps would be the target (considering gran turismo tends to run at max specs on previous generation consoles, could this be a possibility for the new gran turismo game)
Last edited by quasa; 4 weeks ago
--Student
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It will be interesting to see if it can actually suport 4k 120fps, considering the current desktop hardware cannot.

Currently the 2080ti is the best gpu on desktop, it can support 4k gaming up to around 80-90fps depending on the game and can be purchased for around £1,100.

If a console that includes a mobo, cpu, gpu, ram, m.2 ssd and psu is able to attain 120fps at 4k whilst costing £500... then I'll be seriously surprised.
Last edited by --Student; 4 weeks ago
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by --Student)
It will be interesting to see if it can actually suport 4k 120fps, considering the current desktop hardware cannot.
will indeed be interesting. xboxsx is in a similar boat and has a gpu rated at 12tflops (ps5s is 10.28 variable but has faster ram). the xbox series X would technically have the 2nd fastest stock graphics card on the market after the nvidia RTX 2080ti founders edition (which has 14.2tflops) but would be faster than the rtx2080 super(11.1tflops). the PS5s GPU is faster than the standard RTX2080 (10.28 vs 10.1), which would technically would be the 4th fastest stock GPU on the market.

when I say stock, i mean one which hasnt been overclocked.
--Student
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
will indeed be interesting. xboxsx is in a similar boat and has a gpu rated at 12tflops (ps5s is 10.28 variable but has faster ram). the xbox series X would technically have the 2nd fastest stock graphics card on the market after the nvidia RTX 2080ti founders edition (which has 14.2tflops) but would be faster than the rtx2080 super(11.1tflops). the PS5s GPU is faster than the standard RTX2080 (10.28 vs 10.1), which would technically would be the 4th fastest stock GPU on the market.

when I say stock, i mean one which hasnt been overclocked.
Either way I hope it's true, it will benefit not only the console community but the desktop community in the future.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by --Student)
It will support 4K 120fps in the sense that the console will output those settings if the game asks it to, I just doubt many (if any) games will. While it's undoubtedly going to be very powerful hardware, as you've mentioned those are numbers most high end PCs will struggle to attain, although just like when the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro first gained 4K support some games would cheat their way into offering 4K/60fps by dropping the graphical fidelity of some elements compared to what could be achieved at 1080p. However I think the more important factor is that the overwhelming majority of people buying consoles will be playing them on a television in the living room, and 99.99999% of TVs don't exceed 60Hz. And the people who own 120-144Hz compatible monitors? They're already playing on PCs. The Playstation has a better chance of PC gamers buying one as a supplementary console than the Xbox does now that most Xbox exclusive titles are becoming available on PC moving forwards while the PS4 still has some, but I would wager that the market for 120fps PS5 games will be sufficiently small that no developer puts more than a token amount of effort in, probably just optimising for 4K/60 and including an option to turn the frame cap turned off rather than actually aiming for a consistent 120fps in gameplay.
Last edited by Gofre; 4 weeks ago
quasa
Rep:
?
ps5 supports 4k 120hz screens it seems. Curious to know if it means freesync
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm so hyped for the event tmo!! :woo:
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arthur_Morgan)
I'm so hyped for the event tmo!! :woo:
I'm guessing your a rdr2 fan?
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
I'm guessing your a rdr2 fan?
Yeah great game :yep:

I find Arthur an inspiration hence my name
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Buzzzinnnnngggggg for the reveal :nutcase:
quasa
Rep:
?
here's a link for the official livestream (it is age restricted as there are a few mature games expected to make an appearance).

quasa
Rep:
?
what features do you wish to see for the new PS5 (likely or unlikely).

Mine would be:

backwards compatability for PS3 and PS2 games (in addition to the confirmed PS4 compatability)
much longer batterly life for controllers with fast charging
ability to upload gameplay videos without being blocked
PS now included as a part of PS plus membership (happy to pay netflix prices / slightly less for this)
ability to play on multiple screens
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
backwards compatability for PS3 and PS2 games (in addition to the confirmed PS4 compatability)
This won't happen for the same reason the PS4 didn't have it- the architecture of the older consoles is so radically different that it would essentially require the development of a full emulation solution, which is both time consuming and enormously resource intensive on the hardware. Now that we've had a full console generation's worth of time for the most popular games of yesteryear to be ported over to the current generation of consoles, there's very little reason for Sony to have invested time into developing that functionality.
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
This won't happen for the same reason the PS4 didn't have it- the architecture of the older consoles is so radically different that it would essentially require the development of a full emulation solution, which is both time consuming and enormously resource intensive on the hardware. Now that we've had a full console generation's worth of time for the most popular games of yesteryear to be ported over to the current generation of consoles, there's very little reason for Sony to have invested time into developing that functionality.
its also the reason it will be able to play ps4 games , the architechture is essentially an upgrade to that found in ps4 pro.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
its also the reason it will be able to play ps4 games , the architechture is essentially an upgrade to that found in ps4 pro.
Correct, the PS4 and Xbox One models are all on relatively similar x86 architecture so both backwards and forwards compatibility will be much more achievable moving forwards.
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Correct, the PS4 and Xbox One models are all on relatively similar x86 architecture so both backwards and forwards compatibility will be much more achievable moving forwards.
what's interesting to note is that the ps5's audio is based on the cell processor (ie the PS3's processor / the reasn why game devs back then hated coding for it).

its sad to see however that xbox series x will have full backwards compatability up till the original generation xbox, whereas sony hasnt confirmed anything except for PS4.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
what's interesting to note is that the ps5's audio is based on the cell processor (ie the PS3's processor / the reasn why game devs back then hated coding for it).

its sad to see however that xbox series x will have full backwards compatability up till the original generation xbox, whereas sony hasnt confirmed anything except for PS4.
It's not technically full backwards compatibility, it's just under 600 Xbox 360 titles (about 25% of the catalogue) and about 40 original Xbox titles, but yeah microsoft put a lot more work into porting and incentivising ports from third party devs, which has set them up well in comparison to Sony.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
ps5 supports 4k 120hz screens it seems. Curious to know if it means freesync
Although we must always remember that supporting it doesn't necessarily mean much, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X supported 4k 60fps output but could only really be used for videos and 4k BluRays given the hardware couldn't really handle it in games.

What I'm really interested in is whether the £600 price tag on amazon was a placeholder or the actual price, because if it's the actual it is going to crash and burn like the original PS3 did
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
What I'm really interested in is whether the £600 price tag on amazon was a placeholder or the actual price, because if it's the actual it is going to crash and burn like the original PS3 did
I wouldn't be surprised to be honest, or at least that it was the intended RRP originally buy has been brought down since. Production costs along have long been thought to have been in the region of $450 and as much as consoles operate as loss leaders traditionally, I don't think Sony will want to take a literal loss on unit sales in this climate. We're living in a world where dropping £1000 on a smartphone most people replace every couple of years has become normalised behaviour, so I'm not sure whether a £600 price tag would be an immediate bullet to the head.

If I was a betting man, I'd stake a guess at a £550 reveal price and $599 US.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (40)
8.13%
Confident (65)
13.21%
Indifferent (72)
14.63%
Unsure (122)
24.8%
Worried (193)
39.23%

Watched Threads

Latest