How to prepare for A-level Maths as a B grade GCSE student?

Watch
zofia3
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
All throughout year 10 and 11 I was in set 2 Maths and our teacher would only teach us B grade topics (I live in Wales and did Intermiediete Tier). Now I decided to take Maths for A-level and I don't want to get a grade any lower than an A, but at the same time I'm worried I'm going to be behind with the material due to doing Intermiediete Tier at GCSE. As a result, I decided it'd be best for me to start preparing over the summer. Could anyone tell me what topics I should learn before September, so that I can provide myself with a solid start for A-level?
ShonenLights
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Find out your exam board from your college, then you could probably find the textbook online or you could buy it, then work on it and watch some videos, you don't have to master it just try to understand it enough to get a headstart on everyone
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Do A/A* grade topics then. You can use this time to catch up on that material. Strengthen your hcse knowledge as best as you can and that will give you a solid start for a level
killak434
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Completing the square, quadratic inequalities, converting to index form....familiarise yourself with all of sampling in statistics and ven diagrams....This all depends on you exam board. This would be my advice for EDEXCEL.... What I would say is use mathsgenie and complete all grade 7, 8 and 9 topics as in a level you build on this knowledge. If I was you I wouldn’t worry; I wish I relaxed in my summer holiday; I only got a grade 7 in maths whereas everyone else in my class got 9’s. I’m currently at the end of year 12 and I’m predicted an A star in maths. I’d advice working hard by doing all questions your teacher sets and also asking for extra work when your lessons do start. That’s how I’m achieving my grades.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You must have taken GCSE a long time ago if you did Intermediate Tier (it was abolished at least 10 years ago) so current students will have studied a different specification with some different stuff in it. I recommend working through the Higher Tier content for the current specification with the exam board you're going to study at A level.
zofia3
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Compost)
You must have taken GCSE a long time ago if you did Intermediate Tier (it was abolished at least 10 years ago) so current students will have studied a different specification with some different stuff in it. I recommend working through the Higher Tier content for the current specification with the exam board you're going to study at A level.
No, I'm in year 11 at the moment and would be doing my GCSEs right now if it wasn't for the coronavirus. As I've mentioned, I live in Wales and here Intermiediete Tier for maths has naver been abolished
englishlitgal03
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I think, seeing as we're in lockdown anyway it might be a shout to learn some of the top-grade content. Truthfully, it'll be more for your own peace of mind than anything else! I wouldn't fuss about things like circle theorems or really any geometry, you want to be looking at the algebra style stuff- because as an A level student- that is the focus. If you know what exam board you study for A level, you could look at the spec and see what sort of things it covers. I do Edexcel and it needed a bit of grounding in:
- index laws
- expanding brackets
- factorizing
-negative and fractional indices
- surds
- rationalizing the denominator
- sin and cosine rules

Depending on your school you might do this at the start of A level as a recap, in which case you'll be totally fine! Mine wanted to skip that early topic and go onto new stuff, seeing as it is a bit of a GCSE repeat.

The main message though, if it'll give you peace of mind (or something to do!), have a look at these, but if you can't I'm sure you'll be fine and you'll probably be able to ask a nice teacher next year if you're stuck (provided school is on!!!!).
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Firstly, well done for taking the initiative to prepare for your studies.

I propose a structure based on the following steps

1. Bullet point the topics covered
2. Develop a study plan
3. Develop a topic confidence scale I.e. 1-10
4. Prioritise weak areas
5. Study the topics to improve confidence scale rating
6. Assess confidence by mock/past exam papers etc
7. Revise point 3 and repeat
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zofia3)
No, I'm in year 11 at the moment and would be doing my GCSEs right now if it wasn't for the coronavirus. As I've mentioned, I live in Wales and here Intermiediete Tier for maths has naver been abolished
I stand corrected. I'd had a quick look at WJEC and could only see Higher and Foundation but now I've looked at the spec I see you're quite right - my apologies. The spec https://www.wjec.co.uk/media/u3rbzz1...m-2015-r-e.pdf is quite clear where the difference ares, so concentrate on the bits in Higher you've not done. Algebra tends to be something you need a good grasp of for A level so make sure you understand that well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads