The Student Room Group

Criminology

Hi I’m wondering if anyone took criminology wjec at alevel and now does a criminology degree. Is it similar to the degree? I’m currently taking criminology at a level and I’m really enjoying it and wondering how similar the degree is. Obviously it’s harder but is it just as enjoyable and do you cover some of the same content?
Original post by Izzy.kw
Hi I’m wondering if anyone took criminology wjec at alevel and now does a criminology degree. Is it similar to the degree? I’m currently taking criminology at a level and I’m really enjoying it and wondering how similar the degree is. Obviously it’s harder but is it just as enjoyable and do you cover some of the same content?

Hi! I finished WJEC Criminology in 2019 and I started a Criminology degree last September. The content is very similar, but it does definitely depend on the university you choose to go to. For example, I had a whole module about the Kray twins and the underworld at university but wasn't taught that at sixth form, but that totally depends on the modules your university has to offer. In terms of general content, I had already covered a lot of it at sixth form so my first year was spent revising a lot of that content (e.g. the basic principles of law and criminological theories). I'd say second year probably covers more content that you haven't learnt before as first year is more so getting everyone up to the same level. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Izzy.kw

Hi! I didn't do criminology at alevel as nowhere near me offered it but I took sociology, citizenship and psychology and I've just finished my BA HON Criminology and Sociology and I'll be starting my MRes in Social Science in september. As i didn't study criminology extensively before i wasn't sure what to expect but it's mostly theory and law. It's really interesting and my university had a lot of guest lectures during my time. It's definitely extremely difficult, I found the sociology side of my degree very VERY easy compared to the criminology side. If you enjoy it and have a genuine passion for the subject it will carry you through (like all subjects). Feel free to message me with any questions :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by anonymous__x
Hi! I finished WJEC Criminology in 2019 and I started a Criminology degree last September. The content is very similar, but it does definitely depend on the university you choose to go to. For example, I had a whole module about the Kray twins and the underworld at university but wasn't taught that at sixth form, but that totally depends on the modules your university has to offer. In terms of general content, I had already covered a lot of it at sixth form so my first year was spent revising a lot of that content (e.g. the basic principles of law and criminological theories). I'd say second year probably covers more content that you haven't learnt before as first year is more so getting everyone up to the same level. Hope this helps :smile:

Original post by anonymous__x

Thanks that’s very helpful! What uni do you go to if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 4
Hi,

I found that I had to go through all the modules on the university websites as they all offered something different. I think it all depends on what type of criminology you enjoy? I had to rule out some uni courses as they didn't suit me and the one I wanted has stopped the course next year!

I adore criminology and so have applied for 4 criminology and 1 criminal and justice course....
Original post by Izzy.kw
Thanks that’s very helpful! What uni do you go to if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m in second year at University of Westminster!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending