The Student Room Group

A level - choosing the right subjects help

i have no idea what career i want therefore i want to choose subjects that are open minded and broad ? that will be needed for anything and are respected to get into a good university- oxford? what are the best broad options to choose ?
Hi, there is a list of 'facilitating subjects' which includes maths, further maths, the sciences, english, history, languages, and geography. I'm pretty sure that the recommendation is to take two or more of these subjects, this will keep doors open for you. Why not make a list of all of your subjects in order of preference and do the same thing for ability. The top subjects on each should be really good options. Taking subjects you really enjoy and are good at will mean that the doors open to you will be great for you. I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by JessD3333
Hi, there is a list of 'facilitating subjects' which includes maths, further maths, the sciences, english, history, languages, and geography. I'm pretty sure that the recommendation is to take two or more of these subjects, this will keep doors open for you. Why not make a list of all of your subjects in order of preference and do the same thing for ability. The top subjects on each should be really good options. Taking subjects you really enjoy and are good at will mean that the doors open to you will be great for you. I hope this helps :smile:

Definitely. WHAt you do enjoy and what you want to learn rather than parents or teachers,
Original post by JessD3333

Facilitating subjects doesnt matter anymore even in Oxford; it's only relevant in one college at Cambridge. I do agree with your advice though
What kind of person: are you a STEM person or an essay person? What did you like at gcse? What A levels are you considering rn? All are respected so don't worry (however I would be cautious of subject that overlap as they will be regarded as 1 A level e.g. P.E and biology or economics and business). Do you have my courses in mind?

Quick Reply

Latest