Laptop spec advice needed

Watch
Abdo.
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there guys and girls... I have recently bought a new laptop which I very like...but I feel I have made a big mistake not focusing on one thing which is my cpu... these are my spec
core i7 8750H (12 CPUs) 2.20GHz > 2.2 GHz
GTX 1060 6GB
1TB HDD+256 SSD
16GB RAM
this laptop is kinda powerful and really good for gaming in my opinion but I am not sure about my cpu I feel like it's so low in numbers... I have been using my laptop all day and did not lag or anything but my concern is about this cpu is it worth to return it bcs of that? Or it's an alright cpu? what you guys think? I really can use an advice.
Thanks in advance <3
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
That is a hyper-threaded hexa-core processor that can boost up to 4.10Ghz, it is overkill.
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Abdo.)
Hi there guys and girls... I have recently bought a new laptop which I very like...but I feel I have made a big mistake not focusing on one thing which is my cpu... these are my spec
core i7 8750H (12 CPUs) 2.20GHz > 2.2 GHz
GTX 1060 6GB
1TB HDD+256 SSD
16GB RAM
this laptop is kinda powerful and really good for gaming in my opinion but I am not sure about my cpu I feel like it's so low in numbers... I have been using my laptop all day and did not lag or anything but my concern is about this cpu is it worth to return it bcs of that? Or it's an alright cpu? what you guys think? I really can use an advice.
Thanks in advance <3
That's a good CPU although it's not 12 CPUs as you're stating. It's 12 threads with 2 threads per core which is where I think you're getting confused. It's a 6 core/processor CPU

TBH the entire specs of the laptop is overkill, not many people have a laptop that powerful so it was a good buy

What are you planning on using the laptop for?
Abdo.
Rep:
(Original post by MedicWil)
That's a good CPU although it's not 12 CPUs as you're stating. It's 12 threads with 2 threads per core which is where I think you're getting confused. It's a 6 core/processor CPU

TBH the entire specs of the laptop is overkill, not many people have a laptop that powerful so it was a good buy

What are you planning on using the laptop for?
I use it for gaming/study/work but tbh I am obsessed bout laptops so I kinda want the best
You’re right I might got that part wrong and yes 12 threads there is
My previous laptop had 7300HQ 2.5 ghz minimum and the current one has less ghz so that’s why I am worried tbh.
Abdo.
Rep:
It does not say that tho 2.2ghz is the maximum it appears where did you get this info from?
Abdo.
Rep:
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
That is a hyper-threaded hexa-core processor that can boost up to 4.10Ghz, it is overkill.
It does not say that it can boost up to 4.10ghz Where did you get this info?
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Abdo.)
I use it for gaming/study/work but tbh I am obsessed bout laptops so I kinda want the best
You’re right I might got that part wrong and yes 12 threads there is
My previous laptop had 7300HQ 2.5 ghz minimum and the current one has less ghz so that’s why I am worried tbh.
Yeah, they say 12 threads for marketing purposes as it sounds better than saying 6 cores

Also the new processor is still more powerful if you work out the total GHz
i5-7300HQ 4 x 2.5 = 10GHz
i7-8750H. 6 x 2.2 = 13.2GHZ
It's also got 4 more threads so it can carry out more concurrent tasks
(Original post by Abdo.)
It does not say that it can boost up to 4.10ghz Where did you get this info?
He probably got it from https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-10-ghz.html
It says on there under max turbo frequency
Last edited by MedicWil; 1 year ago
Abdo.
Rep:
(Original post by MedicWil)
Yeah, they say 12 threads for marketing purposes as it sounds better than saying 6 cores

Also the new processor is still more powerful if you work out the total GHz
i5-7300HQ 4 x 2.5 = 10GHz
i7-8750H. 6 x 2.2 = 13.2GHZ
It's also got 4 more threads so it can carry out more concurrent tasks

He probably got it from https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-10-ghz.html
It says on there under max turbo frequency
Ahhh I see how this math works now! Thanks for that I really thought that my cpu is garbage...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.8%
Note taking apps (7)
1.87%
Flashcards (86)
22.93%
Revision guides (19)
5.07%
Past papers (171)
45.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (14)
3.73%

Watched Threads