The Student Room Group

Postgrad Deferral to 2021

Hi everyone. I am an international student originally planning to start my Masters in the UK in Sept 2020. However, due to the pandemic, I wish to defer my study until next year.

Does anybody plan to do the same?

The flight from my home country to the UK takes at least 20 hours normally and there is at least one transit at one of the popular hubs (e.g., Doha, Dubai). I am scared of any mishap on such a long journey and the potential risks to myself and the UK.

Also, has anyone deferred your offer before?

Please help a lost soul here.
Original post by Emily96bk
Hi everyone. I am an international student originally planning to start my Masters in the UK in Sept 2020. However, due to the pandemic, I wish to defer my study until next year.

The flight from my home country to the UK takes at least 20 hours normally and there is at least one transit at one of the popular hubs (e.g., Doha, Dubai). I am scared of any mishap on such a long journey and the potential risks to myself and the UK.

I've never deferred a course but I can completely understand why many students - especially international students - are considering it given the current situation. Most universities are being sympathetic to deferral requests at the moment so I'd recommend talking to the admissions team at your university about the process.

Your university may also have plans for continuing the year via remote/online learning so it is worth looking into that also. At Keele, for example, we've outlined our plans online to allow our applicants to make an informed choice about their course (https://www.keele.ac.uk/coronavirus/applicants/) and we very much hope to be able to welcome many new students for 2020/21, even though that welcome may look a little different to normal!

Amy :smile:
Original post by Emily96bk

The best thing to do is to talk to your university about this. Deferring isn't an automatic right, so knowing if that option is possible is the first step.
I decided to defer my course from UCL to the next year, the current political and economical and health situations are simply not good, I am scared to come so I prefer to wait and save my money to elude any bad surprise from these problems, and many of my friends will do so, we consider working as a volunteer to short period and this is what we think is more beneficial for our society and our personalities as well, then Next year I will see, and the referring process was so simple and it cost you only sending an e-mail to the admission office explaining to them the issues and I think they do not like it but they are highly understandable people so do not worry. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending