The Student Room Group

Oxbridge

Is it overrated?

Everyone i know who has gone hated it. They have told me there is no social life and everyone is there purely to study only.

Plus the grades and degrees can be gained from other russell groups with better student satisfaction so why does everyone want to go to oxbridge? Personally I am going for anywhere but oxbridge.

EDIT - JUST TO POINT OUT THIS IS NOT TO SAY EVERYONE WHO GOES TO OXBRIDGE IS STUCK UP OR ANYTHING. I SIMPLY WANTED TO DISCUSS WHETHER PEOPLE LIKED OR DISLIKED IT.

If you are going to be rude, please don’t comment.

AGAIN I AM VOICING MY OPINION AND ASKING FOR OTHER PEOPLE’S OPINIONS. COMMENT YOUR EXPERIENCE AND LEAVE IT AT THAT PLEASE. I AM NOT LOOKING TO DEBATE HOW GOOD OR BAD THE UNIS ARE.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I do think it is overrated my teachers and parents keep telling me I should apply but i'm not going to. I would rather be happy in a good Russell group uni than depressed at Oxbridge
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I do think it is overrated my teachers and parents keep telling me I should apply but i'm not going to. I would rather be happy in a good Russell group uni than depressed at Oxbridge

Exactly! That is what I think too! It just seems stuck up and a horrible place to be. People just go because it makes them sound good when they say they got into an Oxbridge.
Oxford has unique bits, their Oriental Institute is the only university course that teaches, for example, Japanese in Japanese. Other great Russell etc universities teach it in English.

A few of my friends went to Oxford, just a couple to Cambridge. I think if you feel it is worth you trying to get a compact 3 years of hard work, with some interesting professors, then apply.

My friend Tim, who invented/adapted a few protocols and demonstrated the principles, then standardised & defended his work from hostile interests to produce an open accessible multi-trillion dollar industry. He went to the Queen’s College on Oxford High Street, and they have now named a small café after him, whilst Finland offered him a million euros, as their first ever technology prize. So, some aspects might be a bit stuffy, but if you need to learn at that rate....
Reply 4
Original post by LuigiMario
Oxford has unique bits, their Oriental Institute is the only university course that teaches, for example, Japanese in Japanese. Other great Russell etc universities teach it in English.

A few of my friends went to Oxford, just a couple to Cambridge. I think if you feel it is worth you trying to get a compact 3 years of hard work, with some interesting professors, then apply.

My friend Tim, who invented/adapted a few protocols and demonstrated the principles, then standardised & defended his work from hostile interests to produce an open accessible multi-trillion dollar industry. He went to the Queen’s College on Oxford High Street, and they have now named a small café after him, whilst Finland offered him a million euros, as their first ever technology prize. So, some aspects might be a bit stuffy, but if you need to learn at that rate....

That’s amazing for him! I agree that for some people it is the best that they go to Oxbridge as they will thrive better. For me, I would hate it and those I know who have gone there hated it too. I’m glad some people find it enjoyable tho!
Original post by Sophie7703
Is it overrated?

Everyone i know who has gone hated it, there is no social life and everyone is there purely to study only.

Plus the grades and degrees can be gained from other russel groups with better student satisfaction so why does everyone want to go to oxbridge? Personally I am going for anywhere but oxbridge.

Everyone I know who went to Oxford or Cambridge loved it.

They also learned how to spell Russell. 😁
It just seems stuck up and a horrible place to be. People just go because it makes them sound good when they say they got into an Oxbridge.

Have you ever even visited?
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
Everyone I know who went to Oxford or Cambridge loved it.

They also learned how to spell Russell. 😁

Grammar police have arrived :frown:

The unis are suited for certain people I agree and some people thrive there, the post was simply to discuss whether people liked or disliked it. Sorry if missing one L out of Russell annoyed your great big academic brain :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by RogerOxon
Have you ever even visited?

I have, multiple times.
Original post by Anonymous

Why do you think that you'd be "depressed at Oxbridge"?

Make the right choice for yourself, but please do it based on fact, not the, all too common, uninformed prejudice.
I have, multiple times.

Where did you see "stuck up" and why is it (for you) a "horrible place to be"?
Grammar police have arrived :frown:

The unis are suited for certain people I agree and some people thrive there, the post was simply to discuss whether people liked or disliked it. Sorry if missing one L out of Russell annoyed your great big academic brain :smile:

We are both smiling about it! 😁

Though it does annoy the hell out of me, to be honest. There is virtually nothing and no-one called "Russel" in the world, yet it's the most common misspelling on TSR...
Reply 13
Where did you see "stuck up" and why is it (for you) a "horrible place to be"?

Personally, I wouldn’t fit in. Everyone I met gave me dirty looks and made jokes about my grades. They just came across as a bit self absorbed. I totally see that not everyone is that way and I’m sure Oxbridge unis are great for some people, however not for me. This is a simple post to discuss whether people liked or disliked their visits and time at the uni.
Reply 14
Original post by ageshallnot
We are both smiling about it! 😁

Though it does annoy the hell out of me, to be honest. There is virtually nothing and no-one called "Russel" in the world, yet it's the most common misspelling on TSR...

Hahah! My phone autocorrects it to Russel so I just went with it because it’s TSR and nobody overly cares about spelling haha.
Is it overrated?

Everyone i know who has gone hated it, there is no social life and everyone is there purely to study only.

Plus the grades and degrees can be gained from other russel groups with better student satisfaction so why does everyone want to go to oxbridge? Personally I am going for anywhere but oxbridge.

EDIT - JUST TO POINT OUT THIS IS NOT TO SAY EVERYONE WHO GOES TO OXBRIDGE IS STUCK UP OR ANYTHING. I SIMPLY WANTED TO DISCUSS WHETHER PEOPLE LIKED OR DISLIKED IT.

If you are going to be rude, please don’t comment.

Hi Sophie, I went to Oxford to read PPE and they were definitely some of the most enjoyable and interesting years of my life, I can say that without a shadow of pretence or hype. There is a lot of work, but it created an atmosphere of intense thought, debate and focus that was extremely helpful and also has enabled me to really learn the merits of hard work. It didn't prevent me from having a (sometimes too complicated!) social life and it didn't prevent me from having fun. Work is work, play is play. Of course, as with anything, there were times that could have been better but there were other times that could not be bettered.
Reply 16
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Hi Sophie, I went to Oxford to read PPE and they were definitely some of the most enjoyable and interesting years of my life, I can say that without a shadow of pretence or hype. There is a lot of work, but it created an atmosphere of intense thought, debate and focus that was extremely helpful and also has enabled me to really learn the merits of hard work. It didn't prevent me from having a (sometimes too complicated!) social life and it didn't prevent me from having fun. Work is work, play is play. Of course, as with anything, there were times that could have been better but there were other times that could not be bettered.

Thank you for your reply! It’s nice to see that some people enjoy it because yes Oxbridge are fantastic unis but I think there’s a certain person who fits right in them. It’s amazing that you got in and had a good time!
Why do you think that you'd be "depressed at Oxbridge"?

Make the right choice for yourself, but please do it based on fact, not the, all too common, uninformed prejudice.

Aren't you making exactly the same assumptions about the OP? Many people do look very carefully and go elsewhere ...
Personally, I wouldn’t fit in. Everyone I met gave me dirty looks and made jokes about my grades. They just came across as a bit self absorbed. I totally see that not everyone is that way and I’m sure Oxbridge unis are great for some people, however not for me. This is a simple post to discuss whether people liked or disliked their visits and time at the uni.

I spent four years studying at Oxford, and never saw that. Where, exactly, did you experience this? In what context were you talking about your grades? Was this discussion with current students?
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
Aren't you making exactly the same assumptions about the OP? Many people do look very carefully and go elsewhere ...

Thank you! Personally I know I won’t enjoy being in Oxbridge so I was just asking about other people’s opinions! I have looked into them very carefully but I don’t want to go to an Oxbridge ahha :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending