Chemistry question - ClO- ion!!

Watch this thread
Sidd1
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Question: ClO- ion is the bleaching agent. In sunlight, ClO- ions decompose, releasing chlorine gas. Construct an equation for this reaction.

The mark scheme, however, does not show Chlorine gas forming, but rather oxygen gas and 2cl- ions instead?? I don't get that why would oxygen gas form instead of chlorine gas as said in the question??

I would appreciate any help given on this, thanks!
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sidd1)
Question: ClO- ion is the bleaching agent. In sunlight, ClO- ions decompose, releasing chlorine gas. Construct an equation for this reaction.

The mark scheme, however, does not show Chlorine gas forming, but rather oxygen gas and 2cl- ions instead?? I don't get that why would oxygen gas form instead of chlorine gas as said in the question??

Chlorate(I) is formed from chlorine and water in a disproportionation reaction in which chloride ions are also formed. This question appears to be discussing the reverse reaction.

Cl2 + H2O --> HCl + HOCl

But with ambiguous information in the question it's difficult to say.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sidd1)

Perhaps you read the MS wrong?

Where is the Q from?

Can you post a copy of Q and MS?
Sidd1
Rep:
(Original post by Pigster)
Perhaps you read the MS wrong?

Where is the Q from?

Can you post a copy of Q and MS?
Firstly, very sorry for the late reply. Yes I will do.

The question is from the OCR A Chemistry textbook - Module 3 exam style questions.

*Q23 a(ii)*
Attached files
Last edited by Sidd1; 2 years ago
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sidd1)
Firstly, very sorry for the late reply. Yes I will do.

The question is from the OCR A Chemistry textbook - Module 3 exam style questions.

*Q23 a(ii)*
Faulty Q. It should have read oxygen, not chlorine. The MS is right.
Sidd1
Rep:
(Original post by Pigster)
Faulty Q. It should have read oxygen, not chlorine. The MS is right.
Oh I see so there's an error made in the question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.63%
As I expected (23)
30.26%
Harder (28)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.26%

Watched Threads