The Student Room Group

nottingham downwards trend on league table

I recently firmed nottingham for history although I am still not 100% sure. The new league tables recently came out and yet again nottingham dropped down a few places, it appears to be on a downwards trend especially considering it used to be a top 10 uni.

should this be a cause for concern?

The other unis I was stuck between were Birmingham and warwick

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Admera
I recently firmed nottingham for history although I am still not 100% sure. The new league tables recently came out and yet again nottingham dropped down a few places, it appears to be on a downwards trend especially considering it used to be a top 10 uni.

never mind the ranking, look at the criteria that matters to you and decide relative to other unis - you don't know how close the pack is
Original post by Admera

Warwick IMO is stronger for history but if you enjoy Nottingham, there should be no problem. Other factors are more important to consider
(edited 3 years ago)
Rankings really dont mean much. There is very little between the top 20 or so universities.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Rankings really dont mean much. There is very little between the top 20 or so universities.

I agree but I don't want it to go even further down to the point where it might devalue my degree to some extent
Reply 5
Original post by TheStarboy
Warwick IMO is stronger for history but if you enjoy Nottingham, there should be no problem. Other factors are more important to consider

How come you think its stronger? Okay I'll try and look past the league table thing, thanks for your response :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Admera
I agree but I don't want it to go even further down to the point where it might devalue my degree to some extent

it won't. They've had their reputation for decades, it's not going to disappear due to a couple less-amazing showings on some ranking
Reply 7
As others have said, I wouldn’t worry too much about rankings. I’ll give you one for example, University of Central Lancashire is currently ranked as 2nd for chemistry in the UK behind only Oxford. That’s higher than Imperial, UCL, York, Warwick etc... so they don’t always mean anything. Look at the metrics that mean something to you and decide from that. Nottingham is still a good uni and you will not be disadvantaged by going there. Hope this helps!
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh
it won't. They've had their reputation for decades, it's not going to disappear due to a couple less-amazing showings on some ranking

Yeah that's true, I don't know it's just disappointing
Reply 9
Original post by Tbofig7
As others have said, I wouldn’t worry too much about rankings. I’ll give you one for example, University of Central Lancashire is currently ranked as 2nd for chemistry in the UK behind only Oxford. That’s higher than Imperial, UCL, York, Warwick etc... so they don’t always mean anything. Look at the metrics that mean something to you and decide from that. Nottingham is still a good uni and you will not be disadvantaged by going there. Hope this helps!

Wow that's interesting, I will do thank you!
Original post by Admera
How come you think its stronger? Okay I'll try and look past the league table thing, thanks for your response :smile:

Warwick has one of the more experienced history departments on here. You're welcome. Good luck :smile: It's very popular and tends to be oversubscribed.
Reply 11
Original post by Admera
Yeah that's true, I don't know it's just disappointing

Actually, what tables were you looking at? There's no such trend on Complete University Guide
Reply 12
Original post by TheStarboy
Warwick has one of the more experienced history departments on here. You're welcome. Good luck :smile: It's very popular and tends to be oversubscribed.

Oh wow really? Makes me feel even worse about possibly turning it down then :/ Thank you!
Reply 13
Original post by Sinnoh
Actually, what tables were you looking at? There's no such trend on Complete University Guide

They used to be a solid top 10 uni many years back, and the uni has fallen consistently for the last 3 years (according to the CUG)
Nottingham has a world renowned medieval history research programme. Warwick is known for it's mathematics department and business school.

Pick your university based on what you are actually going to do there and evidence of that university's strength in that area, not in the hope that the lustre from its better departments may rub off on your course.
Reply 15
Original post by artful_lounger
Nottingham has a world renowned medieval history research programme. Warwick is known for it's mathematics department and business school.

Pick your university based on what you are actually going to do there and evidence of that university's strength in that area, not in the hope that the lustre from its better departments may rub off on your course.

That's a good point to be honest, would you chose nottingham then?
Notts does have it's advantages for employability though... And that's also very important.
I went there (just graduating now) and i can report all of my friends either have jobs or good master's places, though I'm in the business school. But yeah the rankings are slightly disappointing. But i don't think degree value is an issue at all. I even found a full-time job paying £23K working for home after one application...I just planned to do it over the summer....but couldn't because i didn't have a NI number like a dope, and couldn't get one due to covid-19 (I'm German).

Screenshot_20200617_190800_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
https://www.highfliers.co.uk ...PDF
Web results
The Graduate Market in 2020 - High Fliers Research
Original post by Admera
That's a good point to be honest, would you chose nottingham then?

I wouldn't reject my offer from Nottingham on the basis of league tables that nobody over the age of 19 pays any attention to...although that isn't to say I would've specifically chosen it. Then again, what I am looking for in a course and university are quite possibly not the same as what you are looking for.

Nottingham is a good university, and is particularly good for history (also law and English, among other subjects). If you like the structure of the course and the options available on it, then there is little reason to reject it for some other university that you believe may be more "ranked" better.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Notts does have it's advantages for employability though... And that's also very important.
I went there (just graduating now) and i can report all of my friends either have jobs or good master's places, though I'm in the business school. But yeah the rankings are slightly disappointing. But i don't think degree value is an issue at all. I even found a full-time job paying £23K working for home after one application...I just planned to do it over the summer....but couldn't because i didn't have a NI number like a dope, and couldn't get one due to covid-19 (I'm German).

Screenshot_20200617_190800_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
https://www.highfliers.co.uk ...PDF
Web results
The Graduate Market in 2020 - High Fliers Research

This table isnt a true reflection. Universities like LSE, Bath and Imperial do not cover the range of subjects in the way the likes of Manchester. Imperial concentrates on science and Engineering and doesnt offer humanities. So employers looking for graduates in those subjects wouldnt target Imperial. Also LSE mainly concentrates on humanities so employers looking looking for scientists or Engineers wouldnt look there. Bath concentrates on sciences, Engineering and social sciences so employers looking for students with medical or law graduates wouldnt target there. All 3 are outstanding in their fields but offer far fewer courses than places like Nottingham or Leeds.
Original post by swanseajack1
This table isnt a true reflection. Universities like LSE, Bath and Imperial do not cover the range of subjects in the way the likes of Manchester. Imperial concentrates on science and Engineering and doesnt offer humanities. So employers looking for graduates in those subjects wouldnt target Imperial. Also LSE mainly concentrates on humanities so employers looking looking for scientists or Engineers wouldnt look there. Bath concentrates on sciences, Engineering and social sciences so employers looking for students with medical or law graduates wouldnt target there. All 3 are outstanding in their fields but offer far fewer courses than places like Nottingham or Leeds.

Oh hey, it's mr. Anti Nottingham....can't you just be happy with your Swansea degree. 😂

Why are you bringing our personal vendetta into this, you know that you have zero intentions of helping OP, you haven't even addressed his situation.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending