MrD10
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Can someone explain what the higgs boson is and it’s discovery, I literally don’t know anything about it and cant seem to understand
Kenn Scott
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by MrD10)
Can someone explain what the higgs boson is and it’s discovery, I literally don’t know anything about it and cant seem to understand
Higgs boson is an elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is produced by particles with mass.
15Characters...
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
QFT/particle physics isn't really my field, but I'll add what I know and hopefully someone else can fill any gaps/mistakes. Also I'm not entirely sure what level of technical detail you want, so I won't assume any knowledge of quantum field theory.

In physics, we model particles and their interactions with quantum fields. Our best current description of particle physics is called the Standard Model, and one quantum field in the standard model is called the Higgs Field. There is a phenomenon called the Higgs mechanism which means that certain particles gain mass as a result of the Higgs field. So far I have spoken in terms of the Higgs field. Particles are "oscillations" or "excitations" in a quantum field, and the Higgs boson is an oscillation in the Higgs field. It is an elementary particle (it is not made up of smaller particles, compared to say a proton which can be broken down into quarks) and it is what we call a scalar boson - a particle with 0 spin.

In the early 1960s several scientists (including Peter Higgs from whom the particle derives its name) independently arrived at a theoretical model that could explain why particles in nature have mass. To do this they realised that a new field, now known as the Higgs field, could cause particles to have mass via an effect called spontaneous symmetry breaking. The scientific community subsequently expected that the Higgs field (and hence Higgs boson) should exist. At this stage however the Higgs boson was just a theoretical conjecture - a nice mathematical trick which explained why particles have mass. To find out whether or not the Higgs actually existed, we needed to do experiments.

Creating a Higgs boson requires you to collide particles at high energy in a particle collider. When such a high energy collision takes place, a Higgs boson may be produced and this may be deduced by an appropriate detector. Producing Higgs particles (and producing them in sufficiently large numbers to make detection likely) required particles to be collided with incredibly high energies and so detailed experiments were not immediately possible with 1960s/70s technology. Serious searches took place from the 90s onwards, and ultimately the Higgs boson would be found in 2013 by the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Switzerland.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (153)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (460)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (350)
11.21%
Lack of purpose or motivation (435)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (147)
4.71%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (188)
6.02%
Loneliness (269)
8.61%
Financial worries (113)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (125)
4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (141)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (170)
5.44%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (278)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (294)
9.41%

Watched Threads