UCLA lecturer G.Klein suspended after refusing lenient marking for black students

Watch
Poll: What should happen?
He should be allowed to return to work after 3 weeks (15)
10.34%
He should receive an official apology off UCLA's Dean (69)
47.59%
He should receive an official apology off UCLA's Dean and the students should be sanctioned (53)
36.55%
He should loose his Job (8)
5.52%
This discussion is closed.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Rude, Racist OR Victim
Students wrote to accountancy professor Gordon Klein, requesting that black students final exams are marked with leniency in light of the recent killing.
He responded:
Spoiler:
Show
Thanks for your suggestion in your email below that I give black students special treatment, given the tragedy in Minnesota. Do you know the names of the classmates that are black? How can I identify them since we've been having online classes only? Are there any students that may be of mixed parentage, such as half black-half Asian? What do you suggest I do with respect to them? A full concession or just half? Also, do you have any idea if any students are from Minneapolis? I assume that they probably are especially devastated as well. I am thinking that a white student from there might be possibly even more devastated by this, especially because some might think that they're racist even if they are not. My TA is from Minneapolis, so if you don't know, I can probably ask her. Can you guide me on how you think I should achieve a "no-harm" outcome since our sole course grade is from a final exam only? One last thing strikes me: Remember that MLK famously said that people should not be evaluated based on the "color of their skin." Do you think that your request would run afoul of MLK's admonition? Thanks, G. Klein'

This has lead to a 3 week suspension. Petitions calling for him to be sacked have been set up. Did he actually do/ say anything wrong? Has the world gone mad OR is he quote 'insensitive, dismissive, and woefully racist'.
Last edited by glassalice; 3 weeks ago
Pinkisk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If this isn't fake news and this is all there is to the story, then no! Definitely, no! No to affirmative action. No to racism in all its forms. There is no such thing as positive racism. Racism is destructive in all its forms. People should not receive favourable treatment based on the colour of their skin.
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m going to wait and see if anyone on TSR thinks he’s done something wrong, because I’m finding it very, very hard.

And to call for him to be sacked?!

WTF?!
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Spoiler:
Show
We ask for your support in having Professor Klein’s professorship terminated for his extremely insensitive, dismissive, and woefully racist response to his students’ request for empathy and compassion during a time of civil unrest.
Professor Klein’s blatant lack of empathy and unwillingness to accommodate his students during a time of protests speaks to his apathetic stance on the matter. His suggestion that a student with one black and one asian parent should only be accommodated half as much as a black student is a preposterously racist notion. Furthermore, his claim that a white student from Minneapolis "might possibly be even more devastated […] because some might think that they're racist" puts into perspective his ignorance, his bias, and his gross inability to comprehend the gravity of the systematic violence, discrimination, and fear experienced by Black people in this country.
Given his background in ethics and liability, one would expect Professor Klein to hold himself to a higher social standard, especially given his position as a steward within higher education. However, his response to students was inappropriate, tone-deaf, and highly insensitive. The killing of George Floyd displayed a brutality that was so casual and so cruel, it reflected an utter dehumanization of Black life. It is understandable, then, that students nationwide - especially Black students - are struggling to focus on their educations when there is massive sociopolitical unrest that concerns both them and the future of their plight in this country.
His behavior is not reflective of the equity, respect, and justice that UCLA stands for as an institution. As Professor Klein so emphatically states on his profile page on the Anderson School of Management website: “Learning accounting or any quantitative discipline, without a concomitant emphasis on ethical behavior, is not a true education”. We ask for your support now in holding Professor Klein to the same ethical standards he claims to be essential to a holistic and inclusive educational experience, which is what he owes to his students as an educational leader. We, the students, refuse to support Gordon Klein any further and demand to see his employment terminated as soon as possible. Please consider signing this petition, sharing it, and providing any feedback possible.

^This is the long explanation about why Gordon Klein must be sacked, from the petition.
Last edited by glassalice; 4 weeks ago
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So by their logic everyone should get full marks whenever some random person gets killed?
For a supposed top tier university it is full of dumb ****ers.
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think he really did anything wrong but the email itself was kind of insensitive especially if it was sent to the students themselves.
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All the email does is provoke some critical thinking about the stupidity of the suggestion, albeit not in as friendly a tone as they could.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
He came across as a ****, but he's not particularly wrong.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Diplomatic)
All the email does is provoke some critical thinking about the stupidity of the suggestion, albeit not in as friendly a tone as they could.
I agree, he could have written it more professionally/kindly but there’s still nothing ‘racist’ about it.

Maybe it’s time these students actually speak directly with the professor? Doubt they would want to though.
Last edited by Occitanie; 4 weeks ago
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
He came across as a ****, but he's not particularly wrong.
This.
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When you ask a dumb question you deserve to be shot down. If something like this was allowed, then anyone from any race could request leniency if someone from their same race was killed in similar circumstances. It's just ludicrous.

It's getting to the point where black people are like "if you don't give me this you're racist".
z-hog
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Has the world gone mad OR is he quote 'insensitive, dismissive, and woefully racist'.
The world is 'going mad' but not but accident or misfortune, the worst thing everyone sane can do is ignore what is causing it. By now, it's systemic.
lukeviolin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Surely you can't give better grades based on grades
Legomenon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's really low that they would try to profit from the killing and protests like this. Really low.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Legomenon)
That's really low that they would try to profit from the killing and protests like this. Really low.
Worst is that they can’t even begin to realise the damage it’s doing...
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
The world is 'going mad' but not but accident or misfortune, the worst thing everyone sane can do is ignore what is causing it. By now, it's systemic.
It sadly is. Lecturers in far more senior roles have lost their jobs for far less. In 2005, Professor Lawrence Summers, then president of Harvard, was forced to resign his job at the university after incurring the wrath of feminists in academia by simply suggesting the idea that the wage gap might be caused by innate differences between the two genders. This problem is not limited to academia. It's widespread. James Damore is testament to this.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 4 weeks ago
Legomenon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Diplomatic)
Yeah he definitely could've been more professional about it. Of course he's right, but this is not the way a professor should be speaking to students.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The world has gone mad, unfortunately.
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
I agree, he could have written it more professionally/kindly but there’s still nothing ‘racist’ about it.

Maybe it’s time these students actually speak directly with the professor? Doubt they would want to though.
I'd say it was spot on. These students need to be told under no uncertain terms that they are absolute morons. They are treating black people as if they are special needs children and it's really quite grotesque,
z-hog
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
It sadly is. Lecturers in far more senior roles have lost their jobs for far less. In 2005, Professor Lawrence Summers, then president of Harvard, was forced to resign his job at the university after incurring the wrath of feminists in academia by simply suggesting the idea that the wage gap might be caused by innate differences between the two genders. This problem is not limited to academia. It's widespread. James Damore is testament to this.
The world of academia is like the pressure cooker for all this, disseminated through a network of strategically funded media outlets and NGOs. It is being turned into a network of training camps, the whole thing. Serious stuff, actually.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (39)
8.07%
Confident (65)
13.46%
Indifferent (68)
14.08%
Unsure (120)
24.84%
Worried (191)
39.54%

Watched Threads