VR61 – MR from DEFRA – Trial reintroduction and protection of the Eurasian Lynx

Watch
Poll: Do You Agree with the contents of this Ministerial Report?
As many as are of the opinion, aye. (35)
68.63%
Of the contrary, no. (8)
15.69%
Abstain. (8)
15.69%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
R61 – Ministerial Report from the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Secretary – Trial reintroduction and protection of the Eurasian Lynx

Ministerial Report: Department for Environment,
Food and Rural Affairs

Secretary of State: The Rt. Hon. Theloniouss MP

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Variation of Schedules) Order 2020

The Secretary of State –
(1) on recommendation of the Nature Conservancy Council;
(2) being of the opinion that the animal referred to in section 2 will be in danger of extinction upon the commencement of the reintroduction trials mentioned below;
In exercise of the powers conferred on him by section 22(3) of the Act, hereby makes the following Order:

Citation and Commencement
1. This Order may be cited as The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Variation of Schedules) Order 2020 and shall come into force immediately.

Variation of Schedule 5
2. The following animals are hereby added to Schedule 5 of the Act:
Common Name (Scientific Name)
Eurasian Lynx (Lynx lynx)

Lynx Reintroduction Trials

Aims:
The aim of this project is to carry out various studies on the effect of Lynx populations on British wildlife and ecosystems, with a view to eventually carry out full reintroductions where viable populations can be supported.

Steps:
1. Ecological Impact Assessments will be carried out in Kielder and Thetford forests, followed by a Habitats Regulations Assessments and assessments of impacts on Sites of Special Scientific Interest and protected species.

2. On the Assumption that these assessments do not return any serious issues, there will be liaisons with existing environmental initiatives in these areas to ensure these efforts do not interfere with one another. Local landowners and farmers will also be consulted.

3. Should all of this go as expected, Lynx UK will be granted a licence under section 16(4) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 in order to begin trial reintroductions, on the condition that the project will be overseen by DEFRA.

Funding
The project will initially be funded by the Government, who will provide the £240,000 capture and exit fund (unless this fund can be obtained through private means). Should the project later obtain sufficient funding through private means, which it is expected to,1 this funding will be repaid to the treasury with interest and the remainder of the project will be funded privately. The project is expected to cost not more than £2 million.1

In order to alleviate concerns about predation on sheep, which is unlikely,1 farmers will be compensated for killed sheep at £200 per sheep. Should a farmer feel their sheep was worth more than £200, the system used in the Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (England) Regulations 20184 will be used.

Public Safety:
There are no recorded unprovoked attacks on humans by wild Lynx across Europe, however they are a potentially dangerous predator.2 In order to mitigate the risk of attacks on humans, Lynx will be constantly monitored via GPS. Should they stray into nearby population centres, appropriate steps will be taken to return them to the forest.

Exit Plan:
Should this trial reintroduction become dangerous or ecologically or economically unfeasible, the Lynx will be recaptured and returned to Scandinavia.

Notes

The Wildlife and Countryside act 1981: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69/contents

Currently, British ecosystems are out of balance – there is no top predator for large animals and as a result, deer overpopulation is causing problems. It would be useful to determine if reinstituting natural predator-prey relationships would prove a better solution than hunting. It is also our moral imperative to restore ecosystems our predecessors destroyed.

The majority of the public support the reintroduction of Lynx.3

The reintroduction of Lynx is likely to be of significant economic benefit as a result of tourism and reduced deer and fox populations.1

Changes for division

-Farmers can now appeal the £200 per sheep price.
Theloniouss
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Aye, obviously.
KingPenguin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Nay. I don't think this is necessary.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This intends to reintroduce an animal using powers granted to a minister in section 22(3) of the Wildlife and Country Side Act 1981. This sections allows a minister to add and remove any animals to schedules 5 and 8. Schedule 5 controls animals that can be sold, skilled, possessed and disturbed. Schedule 8 lists protected plant species. If the minister wished to use a power under a different section to add and remove animals to the schedules would not allow for the reintroduction of an animal.

Moreover, section 14 includes "Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person releases or allows to escape into the wild any animal which

(a) is of a kind which is not ordinarily resident in and is not a regular visitor to Great Britain in a wild state is guilt of an offence."

Which section grants the power to introduce a new animal and counter section 14?

thelonious
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
This intends to reintroduce an animal using powers granted to a minister in section 22(3) of the Wildlife and Country Side Act 1981. This sections allows a minister to add and remove any animals to schedules 5 and 8. Schedule 5 controls animals that can be sold, skilled, possessed and disturbed. Schedule 8 lists protected plant species. If the minister wished to use a power under a different section to add and remove animals to the schedules would not allow for the reintroduction of an animal.

Moreover, section 14 includes "Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person releases or allows to escape into the wild any animal which

(a) is of a kind which is not ordinarily resident in and is not a regular visitor to Great Britain in a wild state is guilt of an offence."

Which section grants the power to introduce a new animal and counter section 14?

thelonious

The licence to reintroduce the Lynx (as per step 3 under "Lynx Reintroduction Trials") is being granted under section 16(4), which states:
(Original post by Section 16(4) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981;undefined)
(4)The following provisions, namely—
(a)section 6(1) and (2);
(b)sections 9(5) and 13(2); and
(c)sections 14 and 14ZA, do not apply to anything done under and in accordance with the terms of a licence granted by the appropriate authority.
It is section 9(5) which protects the animals in schedule 5.

I thank the Hon. member for raising her concerns only once she thought they could not be rectified.
I would also note that you have misspelled my username.
Last edited by Theloniouss; 3 months ago
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Aye of course.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
The licence to reintroduce the Lynx (as per step 3 under "Lynx Reintroduction Trials") is being granted under section 16(4), which states:

It is section 9(5) which protects the animals in schedule 5.

I thank the Hon. member for raising her concerns only once she thought they could not be rectified.

I would also note that my username is not spelled like that.
Why were we misled about the correct section?

What are the terms attached the licence? Why is there no mention of a licence made in the report if a licence is the legal way of doing it?
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Why were we misled about the correct section?

What are the terms attached the licence? Why is there no mention of a licence made in the report if a licence is the legal way of doing it?
When were you misled?

The licence is mentioned in the report. As I stated, it's in step 3 under "Lynx Reintroduction Trials".
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
When were you misled?

The licence is mentioned in the report. As I stated, it's in step 3 under "Lynx Reintroduction Trials".
22(3) is a red herring.

What are the restrictions of the licence?
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
22(3) is a red herring.

What are the restrictions of the licence?
How is 22(3) a red herring?

The restrictions will be decided when the licence is issued, after the various assessments, liaisons and consultations mentioned in steps 1 and 2 of "Lynx Reintroduction Trials", as the results of these will determine the necessary restrictions.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Once again, I think it's very refreshing to see items on issues like this, and I think the spirited debate on this in the chamber was a positive thing for the house.

I am happy to support this Ministerial Report.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Aye, it sounds like a most worthy attempt at repairing some the ecological damage suffered in this country
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I of course gave this Ministerial Report an emphatic Aye.
Cabin19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Aye lets rewild Britain
Andrew97
Rep:
?
The following votes have been removed

No for KingPengiun (Not an MP)
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Order, Order!

The Ayes to the right: 35
The Noes to the left: 7
Abstains: 8

The Ayes have it, The Ayes have it. Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads