The Student Room Group

Digital Thermometers

How is thermal energy transferred to the temperature sensor? I can't find a answer anywhere that satisfies me please help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by BillyBob121
How is thermal energy transferred to the temperature sensor? I can't find a answer anywhere that satisfies me please help :smile:

I am not the smartest cookie in the world but here is my best shot. very basic, not too in-depth, probably wrong, but here you go.
everything emits some form of radiation. we know this because of infrared cameras that detect high and low-frequency waves within that category. of course, heat in terms of the em spectrum isn't just confined to the infrared. this explains things which glow red hot, and white-hot (there is a reason they don't glow green hot but it is a little bit complicated and unnecessary). The thing to notice about this is that everything with heat can emit some form of energy (as far as I am concerned. again, not the smartest cookie). My theory is, the radiation is picked up through a detector. the way this detector works I am not sure, but you asked how is it transferred not detected soooo yeah, that's all I got 😅
I know how to ramble :biggrin:
Original post by BillyBob121

Convection, conduction and radiation.

The type of detector will tell you how that heat transfer is converted to a measurable signal and calibrated against a reference accordingly.

Quick Reply

Latest