richard10012
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
What does the term White privilege mean? That every white person does not have to work hard and they will be giving a house and given a good job.
Tom Woodrough
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is that a question or a statement?
becausethenight
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege
Flooffyk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s easily googleable.
Max1989
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's just the idea that white people will never have anything bad happen to them because they are white (but obviously can have bad things otherwise).
Mustafa0605
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To be honest there’s some sort of privilege for the most common race/tribe in every country.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
To be honest there’s some sort of privilege for the most common race/tribe in every country.
Truly shocking right :rolleyes:
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by intellectual998)
The fact that you even ask that questions reveals your huge cis privilege. Stop being so transhphobic loser.
So many meaningless words.
Woody102
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
It is more complicated than that. Like Churchill...
Attachment 913510
long live our glorious empire!
PizzaMan2989
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by richard10012)
What does the term White privilege mean? That every white person does not have to work hard and they will be giving a house and given a good job.
Imo it’s an idea that yes everyone will find things hard in life, but the colour of their skin isn’t one of the factors making it that much harder than it already is
ColinDent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It is more complicated than that. Like Churchill...
Attachment 913510
May I ask what your opinion of Mahatma Gandhi is? Hero or racist??
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
May I ask what your opinion of Mahatma Gandhi is? Hero or racist??
Hero. At least he wasn't responsible for any deaths.
ColinDent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hero. At least he wasn't responsible for any deaths.
I don't disagree, but he did also have some very questionable views.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-34265882
How far exactly do you wish to take things, should any statue's or memorials to him be torn down or was his racism acceptable?
ThatGuy89
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by richard10012)
White privilege is a total myth. There is only rich people privilege.
Benjerrys11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Max1989)
It's just the idea that white people will never have anything bad happen to them because they are white (but obviously can have bad things otherwise).
No, Max you're misinformed. White privilege illustrates the society that had been shaped to disadvantage people of colour. It doesn't mean white individuals won't have anything 'bad happen to them'. They do have bad things happen to them, however, it means their skin colour doesn't have to be part of those problems.

Studies conducted all over the world from world-leading research universities have confirmed society's bias towards white individuals over an individual of colour. One of the professors from Oxford University found that Black, Asian, and Minority ethnic have to apply 60% more times than a white person of similar qualifications and experience to have a successful response to an interview. The professor concluded the job market had not changed since the 1960s.

Other studies conducted by Harvard have shown Black people are 8 times more likely to be stopped by Police than a white person. When they compared deaths caused by Police, they found that armed white males had the same amount of deaths as unarmed black males.
Other studies show that Black and White people drug use in the US to be equal, however, Police are again 8x more likely to arrest Black people for it.

These are just a few examples of white privilege. Others include sentencing, being racially profiled etc etc
Benjerrys11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
Having travelled around Africa, Middle-east, Latin America and around Europe, it was quite common that locals were more welcoming towards white individuals than they were to my BAME friends. Even law enforcements in African countries were really friendly towards me but expressing their megalomania towards the locals.
It's even worse in the Middle-East, especially Saudi Arabia where they treat BAME like garbage but as soon as someone mentions they're an EU citizen, Canadian, American, Australian etc law enforcements shrivel up and apologise.

I'm lucky to have travelled around the world because it has really opened my eyes.
Max1989
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Benjerrys11)
No, Max you're misinformed. White privilege illustrates the society that had been shaped to disadvantage people of colour. It doesn't mean white individuals won't have anything 'bad happen to them'. They do have bad things happen to them, however, it means their skin colour doesn't have to be part of those problems.

Studies conducted all over the world from world-leading research universities have confirmed society's bias towards white individuals over an individual of colour. One of the professors from Oxford University found that Black, Asian, and Minority ethnic have to apply 60% more times than a white person of similar qualifications and experience to have a successful response to an interview. The professor concluded the job market had not changed since the 1960s.

Other studies conducted by Harvard have shown Black people are 8 times more likely to be stopped by Police than a white person. When they compared deaths caused by Police, they found that armed white males had the same amount of deaths as unarmed black males.
Other studies show that Black and White people drug use in the US to be equal, however, Police are again 8x more likely to arrest Black people for it.

These are just a few examples of white privilege. Others include sentencing, being racially profiled etc etc
That's exactly what I said...Basically your race/skin colour doesn't play a part in your misfortunes...I didn't dispute how races are treated.
saskiax
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's like if a white well-dressed girl leaves a shop and the alarm goes off, then maybe the security waive her though and blame it on the alarm or politely ask if they can look in her bag. But if it's a black guy with a hoodie on, then it's a different story...as we have seen recently in the news. Authority treat black men very differently, very badly.
Moonbow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Flooffyk)
It’s easily googleable.
“Googleable”
Nice.
I like that.
I like that very much.
Raptor Jesus
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Moonbow)
“Googleable”
Nice.
I like that.
I like that very much.
what about Bingeable?

poor Bing :cry2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads