The Student Room Group

White privilege

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raptor Jesus
what about Bingeable?

poor Bing :cry2:

I’ll take that too :laugh:
White privilege is absolute nonsense, a term coined by people who have never worked a day in the gutters and back alleys of society, naive people. In the poorest of poor society (from where I come from) there is no discrimination, because we are all in the same boat, living hand to mouth in grubby flats. But the opportunities that are available to us are the same. That is until you hit the real discrimination barrier. I'm from Ireland, which is still under the boot heal of Britain, but I've never felt the need to kick off over it. My mother brought us over to London in search of a better life and we found ourselves back in abject poverty. My mum, when I was only little, was attacked 5 times by hooligans, blamed for IRA attacks just because she had an accent. We're not even from NI! She had her nose broken, her elbow broken, her arm fractured. So yes, white people have faced discrimination.

I applied 3 times to join the public services in a number of capacities, the first application expired because my 'security check' took so long whilst others I applied with progressed within a few weeks. The 2nd time I was told I didnt fit the criteria they were seeking because it was a BAME drive, even though the Irish are one of the smallest minorities in London. On the 3rd attempt after 2 years I finally got a job. White privilege is a myth and I have never experienced it.

For those who seem to have an obsession with going generations back in the past to find some historic hurt, the Irish were indentured, enslaved and shipped off before Africa was even fully discovered as a continent. We were also unable to use public toilets or bars or buses like black people. Its a load of rubbish to dwell on it and I'm glad the sensible section of the BAME community seem to be coming around to it.
Original post by ThatGuy89
White privilege is absolute nonsense, a term coined by people who have never worked a day in the gutters and back alleys of society, naive people. In the poorest of poor society (from where I come from) there is no discrimination, because we are all in the same boat, living hand to mouth in grubby flats. But the opportunities that are available to us are the same. That is until you hit the real discrimination barrier. I'm from Ireland, which is still under the boot heal of Britain, but I've never felt the need to kick off over it. My mother brought us over to London in search of a better life and we found ourselves back in abject poverty. My mum, when I was only little, was attacked 5 times by hooligans, blamed for IRA attacks just because she had an accent. We're not even from NI! She had her nose broken, her elbow broken, her arm fractured. So yes, white people have faced discrimination.

I applied 3 times to join the public services in a number of capacities, the first application expired because my 'security check' took so long whilst others I applied with progressed within a few weeks. The 2nd time I was told I didnt fit the criteria they were seeking because it was a BAME drive, even though the Irish are one of the smallest minorities in London. On the 3rd attempt after 2 years I finally got a job. White privilege is a myth and I have never experienced it.

For those who seem to have an obsession with going generations back in the past to find some historic hurt, the Irish were indentured, enslaved and shipped off before Africa was even fully discovered as a continent. We were also unable to use public toilets or bars or buses like black people. Its a load of rubbish to dwell on it and I'm glad the sensible section of the BAME community seem to be coming around to it.

Ah but to be fair,

https://youtu.be/_e9WDfg2idk

Say it loud my friend.
I was homeless for more than half a year when I started year 7, and my parents by no means had "good jobs".
Original post by ColinDent
Ah but to be fair,

https://youtu.be/_e9WDfg2idk

Say it loud my friend.

I'm Irish and I'm proud... also from North of North Dublin so not sure how black thats makes me... but I'm also dark brown haired and dark brown eyed so I'm of the black Irish, gosh so much black.
I'm Irish and I'm proud... also from North of North Dublin so not sure how black thats makes me... but I'm also dark brown haired and dark brown eyed so I'm of the black Irish, gosh so much black.

🤣🤣🤣 You knows it.
Reply 26
Original post by Benjerrys11
Having travelled around Africa, Middle-east, Latin America and around Europe, it was quite common that locals were more welcoming towards white individuals than they were to my BAME friends. Even law enforcements in African countries were really friendly towards me but expressing their megalomania towards the locals.
It's even worse in the Middle-East, especially Saudi Arabia where they treat BAME like garbage but as soon as someone mentions they're an EU citizen, Canadian, American, Australian etc law enforcements shrivel up and apologise.

I'm lucky to have travelled around the world because it has really opened my eyes.

1) One persons experience is statistically irrelevant
2) I'm rather doubting your claims in the ME and Africa where being white is more likely to get you fleeced and murdered by the locals (outside of the gulf that is).
At the end of the day, we were all born the colour we are and all deserve respect. I am white, some people are black. We all share the same amount of importance. We're all human, therefore, we are all human.
Original post by saskiax
It's like if a white well-dressed girl leaves a shop and the alarm goes off, then maybe the security waive her though and blame it on the alarm or politely ask if they can look in her bag. But if it's a black guy with a hoodie on, then it's a different story...as we have seen recently in the news. Authority treat black men very differently, very badly.

They would treat a white person with a hoodie on just the same way. If you dress like a chav then you are going to look more suspicious regardless of your race. Stop listening to NWA and 2pac and get a grip.
Original post by RedGiant
They would treat a white person with a hoodie on just the same way. If you dress like a chav then you are going to look more suspicious regardless of your race. Stop listening to NWA and 2pac and get a grip.

I am white and I think people like this should get a grip, not you @redgie321, but the original poster. Anyone who steals is guilty, race is irrelevant.
Original post by Tracey Stacey 3
At the end of the day, we were all born the colour we are and all deserve respect. I am white, some people are black. We all share the same amount of importance. We're all human, therefore, we are all human.

Precisely, I have the same problem with people declaring themselves to be fenenists.
Why do they need the self justification?
Personally I've always treated everyone the same regardless of sex, colour, religion etc. and there's no need for a label.
To me it simply means that a white person won't face the level of discrimination, though prejudice of skin colour, explicitly or implicitly, that a black man will. This is speaking in very general terms of course!

Original post by ColinDent
I don't disagree, but he did also have some very questionable views.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-34265882
How far exactly do you wish to take things, should any statue's or memorials to him be torn down or was his racism acceptable?

As did Churchill. But you'll find that nobody outside of the fringes of Twitter is seriously campaigning for Churchill's state to be torn down.

For what it's worth, just two years ago Ghandi's statue was torn down from the University of Ghana over claims he was a racist. Nobody seemed to kick up a fuss over this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-46552614
Original post by Burridge
To me it simply means that a white person won't face the level of discrimination, though prejudice of skin colour, explicitly or implicitly, that a black man will. This is speaking in very general terms of course!

As did Churchill. But you'll find that nobody outside of the fringes of Twitter is seriously campaigning for Churchill's state to be torn down.

For what it's worth, just two years ago Ghandi's statue was torn down from the University of Ghana over claims he was a racist. Nobody seemed to kick up a fuss over this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-46552614

Perhaps they will when it becomes popular to do so.
Perhaps they will when it becomes popular to do so.

Surely now would be the most popular time to campaign for that if you genuinely believed it? Yet I don’t see the idea gaining much traction at all.
Original post by Burridge
Surely now would be the most popular time to campaign for that if you genuinely believed it? Yet I don’t see the idea gaining much traction at all.

I don't think this mob is in the mood for campaigning, but removing statues one way or another definitely seems popular and safe right now, lawfully or no.
Having travelled around Africa, Middle-east, Latin America and around Europe, it was quite common that locals were more welcoming towards white individuals than they were to my BAME friends. Even law enforcements in African countries were really friendly towards me but expressing their megalomania towards the locals.
It's even worse in the Middle-East, especially Saudi Arabia where they treat BAME like garbage but as soon as someone mentions they're an EU citizen, Canadian, American, Australian etc law enforcements shrivel up and apologise.

I'm lucky to have travelled around the world because it has really opened my eyes.

Sure but if an Arab travels to Europe they’d be treated like a terrorist in airports and by many people especially all of East Europe and some of Central Europe. If a Latin American travels to many parts of the United States, they’d face a huge amount of racism. It’s true that in certain regions people from certain countries (not necessarily race) are more respected, but all in all, my initial statement still stands.
(edited 3 years ago)

Looking at the example of Saudi Arabia, it is true that they have a Iot of foreign workers on temporary visa from South Asia and these people are treated as second class people. But it’s not necessarily about skin colour. Saudi Arabia has a mostly dark skinned/ black population who are Arab and are Saudi Arabian nationals and live very well. The discrimination of foreign workers is more to do with wealth and education rather than any racism of skin colour.
(edited 3 years ago)
It's a fictional concept which is racist, logically incoherent, and dishonest. It assumes the lives of white people will never be difficult because of their race, which is wrong. Ever heard of affirmative action? Quotas? Anything else of the sort? Well, those discriminate against white people in favour of 'oppressed' groups.
Being on the receiving end of racism does not make someone who isn't on the receiving end privileged. Someone being unfortunate does not mean someone else is privileged.
Its just anti white *******s
Reply 39
Original post by indialily
I travelled to Africa on my own after uni, here is a post all about my experience: https://www.indialilyblogs.com/post/travelling-to-africa-alone-as-a-21-year-old

Shameless plug aye :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending