Opinions on the current state of Team Fortress 2?

Watch
username5170274
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It's no secret that TF2 has been struggling as of late with zero content updates since Jungle Inferno in 2017 and the rise of cheating bots. These factors have caused people to claim TF2 is "dying" or a "dead game". Personally I'm still playing it because it's a fun team based game that's not completely imbalanced like Overwatch is. So if any people who still play TF2 are on this site, what are your opinions on the game, have you considered leaving the game, and do you think Valve will ever made another major update?
Last edited by username5170274; 1 year ago
Fale
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't play TF2 that often but it's a lot of fun when I do play it, however with no updates I quickly get bored and move on to the next game. Games need updates to thrive & keep the game fresh, I don't think the game is dead by any means but it's way past the peak.
JoelBigSmokeTea
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Still fun after 7+ years of playing, but now its infested with hackers. Literal every ****ing game some script kiddy joins and floods the chat with all sorts of nonsense+racisim. Most of the time they're kicked within moments, but there's times that they might copy your name and you get kicked in the process by accident.
Seriously when is valve ever going to implement a proper anti cheat.
DR.DOOM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh boy. So I've been playing the game for almost a decade now since 2011. The game back then was fantastic, always full of people and a load of fun. It was so good I once had a 3 hour game on CTF_Turbine because of how good the game was. Fast forward to now and the game is completely done for. I properly believe that matchmaking and Competitive play are the key reasons why the game was ruined. Valve wanted TF2 to be like CS GO with the success of Overwatch but it doesn't work. TF2 was never meant to be played as a 5 vs 5 it just doesn't work and never will. So now, "casual" (I can't even call it that because it was never known as casual, it was the right ****ing way to play the game) is full of complete idiots.

In every game I will find non-serious players and this ranges to the worst of the worst. You'll have people who want to "be friendly" and if you kill them (they are likely to be a heavy) that person and their friends will try and vote kick you off the server. There are also times when you have a teammate on your team who "tries to be friendly" with the other team and does nothing but talk **** in the chat and piss off your team. Then there are other times when all teams are taunting and no one is playing the ****ing game. Interrupt them in any way by trying to play the game and you'll get kicked. I can understand this stuff being on Trade servers like those Minecraft ones but why the **** are these ***** on casual?

Then you have the bots and glitchers and now is where it just gets worse. Bots are always going to be on a server as sniper, headshotting for 5 mins until they get Vacc'd or kicked (because valve doesn't give a **** about TF2). You may also get a heavy bot who has infinite crits on their minigun and kills everyone and gets vacc'd in 5 mins. Then there are glitchers who do the "civillian glitch" which still hasn't been patched and do the same bs as the "friendlies".

I just don't find the game fun anymore because of this and its just a pain in the ass to deal with all of this bull****. This year Tyler Mckvicker (who is a massive manchild) and his circlejerk friends played a role in leaking a source code for the game. TF2 is dying because of its **** community and the fact that valve doesn't care about it anymore and its sad. I honestly hate Tyler and the people that are killing the game
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I played it once a few years ago but it didn't grab me. The Garry's Mod and SFM stuff are more entertaining. My girlfriend played the original Team Fortress 1 though.
DR.DOOM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Freezeonaut)
Don't get me started on those friendlies lmao. What is the point in playing a PvP game only to be friendly? It's really stupid imo. As for casual matchmaking etc, yeah, I agree. The Meet Your Match update is often attributed as the reason why TF2 kinda fell from grace. Casual is full of the same people who circlejerk about crits, W+M1 Pyros etc etc. It's very tiring. The casual matchmaking system also caused a lot of community servers to lose players, with only a few servers having active playerbases. I don't think TF2 will truly die though. It's got a very loyal fanbase that have stood by it for many years.
Of course the game won't die but no one is actually playing the game properly whenever you join a "casual match". I think they just need to get rid of competitive and matchmaking so they turn back to how the game was originally meant to be played. Community servers still seem to be fine from what I have seen but I don't bother joining them anyway, maybe there is a good server out there though that may accomodate for how the game was meant to be played back in the day.
Ben878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't play anymore, but I wouldn't be surprised if valve shifted on a while ago

A benefit to the community servers I was involved with years ago was we could ban all the hackers quite efficiently (this was pre matchmaking though)

although, while writing this I looked up patch/update history, and this came up yesterday:
-Restricted certain new accounts from using chat in official matchmaking modes
-Work is ongoing to mitigate the use of new and free accounts for abusive purposes
which sounds like they are conscious of the bot problem I heard of, but that still sounds like delayed, provisional/minimal updates to me
ThatNameWasTaken
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I still love the game but it's no secret that valve either lost interest in working on the game or it just wasn't financially worth it (which we all know is bs). I doubt the game will receive a major update for a long while and if it does it will likely be a community driven one, such as from the creators.tf page. I would recommend trying the TF2 balance mod servers, which is the same game with some interesting balance changes to most of the weapons.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (334)
83.71%
No (65)
16.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed