Want more information about this university?
hoolahoopp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey, I have chosen Lancaster as my firm choice on UCAS, and I'm currently thinking about the accommodation I would like. I am torn between a superior ensuite or a townhouse - I do have anxiety, so the sound of having my own toilet and shower sounds good, however I also think a townhouse would be a great way to make friends and get out of my comfort zone a bit. I just don't know what to do at the moment,as idk how I would feel living in a house with 12 others, so if there is anyone who has been in a similar situation to me, please let me know
Emily2001x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah I was also struggling with what accommodation I wanted at Lancaster too and I realised that I wanted my own toilet and shower too. I'm hopefully going to apply for a superior ensuite at Cartmel and you are flats of 8 people I think and that is still a lot of people to get to know
Have you been looking at colleges too? I believe county and grizedale only offer townhouses but all colleges offer superior ensuite.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I'm going to Lancaster this year too

I'm going for Bowland Basic Standard simply because it's the cheapest option and there'll be a lot of people to meet since it's arranged in clusters of around 15 people. I think getting out of your comfort zone to begin with would be a good idea since it's a fresh start but if you don't feel comfortable with it, you can meet plenty of people with common interests in societies
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m going into second year and regret staying where I did, in a flat in county with only 4 people. Still had a great time though and made some great friends. Don’t hesitate too much about which accommodation you choose, wherever you go you’ll be around others who you will likely become close with.
Ghostlady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Townhouses, my daughter is applying for this year. We ended up clicking from one you tube suggestion to another (as you do lol) and there was a you tuber called watchdevante. Its about 5 years old, but dont let that put you off. it shows Devante coming from canada for a term abroad and he stayed in County townhouse. 1 video watched ended up turning into 75 videos lol. The friendships and laughs all 12 had and they all got filmed, looked like great fun. It also showed, sugar bus, sugar, county bar, lectures, sultans challenge, sports hall, subway. It was these videos which persuaded my daughter to choose the townhouse. Ok you have to share a bathroom with another, but its only 2 between a floor of 4 people, so chances are high of 1 being free when you need it.
hoolahoopp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily2001x)
Yeah I was also struggling with what accommodation I wanted at Lancaster too and I realised that I wanted my own toilet and shower too. I'm hopefully going to apply for a superior ensuite at Cartmel and you are flats of 8 people I think and that is still a lot of people to get to know
Have you been looking at colleges too? I believe county and grizedale only offer townhouses but all colleges offer superior ensuite.
Thanks for the reply yeah I've been looking at the colleges and I am thinking of choosing Grizedale, so I am able to choose either of the accommodation types I am thinking of. Being in a flat with 8 people sounds good too, although I think the fact that the townhouses have more of a communal living space is making me consider them. I'll just have to try and think about how I might feel in the long term, which I am struggling with atm! I hope you enjoy Lancaster, it's great that you know what college/accommodation you want!
hoolahoopp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ghostlady)
Townhouses, my daughter is applying for this year. We ended up clicking from one you tube suggestion to another (as you do lol) and there was a you tuber called watchdevante. Its about 5 years old, but dont let that put you off. it shows Devante coming from canada for a term abroad and he stayed in County townhouse. 1 video watched ended up turning into 75 videos lol. The friendships and laughs all 12 had and they all got filmed, looked like great fun. It also showed, sugar bus, sugar, county bar, lectures, sultans challenge, sports hall, subway. It was these videos which persuaded my daughter to choose the townhouse. Ok you have to share a bathroom with another, but its only 2 between a floor of 4 people, so chances are high of 1 being free when you need it.
Thank you so much, those videos look great, I will spend a good amount of time watching them tomorrow! I hope your daughter ends up enjoying her time at Lancaster
hoolahoopp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m going into second year and regret staying where I did, in a flat in county with only 4 people. Still had a great time though and made some great friends. Don’t hesitate too much about which accommodation you choose, wherever you go you’ll be around others who you will likely become close with.
Thanks for the reply, it helps a lot I hope you continue to enjoy Lancaster!
Ghostlady
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hoolahoopp)
Thank you so much, those videos look great, I will spend a good amount of time watching them tomorrow! I hope your daughter ends up enjoying her time at Lancaster
Thanks i've let her know Shes also choosing Grizedale over County, but doesnt mind if shes in either. as shes putting the accommodation type choice first over college choice. We had a walk round in feb before the lockdown for another walk round and a nosy at some areas we had not visited and Grizedale she liked the most.
Last edited by Ghostlady; 3 weeks ago
hoolahoopp
Rep:
?
Hey, I'm going to Lancaster this year too

I'm going for Bowland Basic Standard simply because it's the cheapest option and there'll be a lot of people to meet since it's arranged in clusters of around 15 people. I think getting out of your comfort zone to begin with would be a good idea since it's a fresh start but if you don't feel comfortable with it, you can meet plenty of people with common interests in societies
Thanks a lot for the reply, your accommodation choice sounds good! And yeah you make a good point, I think I'm stressing too much about accommodation, as everyone will be joining loads of societies to meet new people anyway
hoolahoopp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ghostlady)
Thanks i've let her know Shes also choosing Grizedale over County, but doesnt mind if shes in either. as shes putting the accommodation type choice first over college choice. We had a walk round in feb before the lockdown for another walk round and a nosy at some areas we had not visited and Grizedale she liked the most.
Yeah I liked the look of the Grizedale area the most as well, so I will be choosing that as my college too. From what I've read on the website it looks like a really nice college!
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hoolahoopp)
Hey, I have chosen Lancaster as my firm choice on UCAS, and I'm currently thinking about the accommodation I would like. I am torn between a superior ensuite or a townhouse - I do have anxiety, so the sound of having my own toilet and shower sounds good, however I also think a townhouse would be a great way to make friends and get out of my comfort zone a bit. I just don't know what to do at the moment,as idk how I would feel living in a house with 12 others, so if there is anyone who has been in a similar situation to me, please let me know
Hi hoolahoopp,
In general, townhouses are the most social accommodation because of the way they're set out. They tend to be the more 'party' accommodation (although not necessarily true). You only share the toilet and shower with one person and it's fixed so you'll get used to sharing with just one person. I was very nervous about coming to university and so opted for ensuite. This was fine because I still met a lot of friends but going to university really made me come out of my shell and I wish I'd opted for a townhouse to save some money and to have had a more social experience in my first year (although looking back it might have been a bit much for the first few weeks, I'm sure I'd have adapted and enjoyed it by the end). Ensuite tend to be quieter (although there's tonnes of exceptions), and although having your own toilet seems great, after moving into town for second and third year and sharing a bathroom with others, it seems a bit pointless anyway!
Hope this was useful and let me know if there's anything I can help you with.
Blan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What was it about County that you didn't like? WHich part of County was you in?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Blan1)
What was it about County that you didn't like? WHich part of County was you in?
There’s nothing wrong with county, it’s the best college

The issue is that I would’ve preferred to have more flat mates, which I didn’t because of the accommodation that I chose. My room was huge though so that was nice
LRob365
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi all, does anyone know how hard it is to get into a townhouse? Guessing they're quite popular. Don't know whether to get my hopes up!
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LRob365)
Hi all, does anyone know how hard it is to get into a townhouse? Guessing they're quite popular. Don't know whether to get my hopes up!
There’s a front and a back door so they’re not very hard to get into, although you will need a key
LRob365
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There’s a front and a back door so they’re not very hard to get into, although you will need a key
no haha like the response but I mean being awarded townhouse accommodation. thanks though!!
Ghostlady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
no haha like the response but I mean being awarded townhouse accommodation. thanks though!!
My daughters applying for a townhouse for 2020, and shes part of a social media group of about 45 people studying her subject; and so far she knows 2-3 people whose going to apply. A lot in her group are going for other accommodation, mainly Bowland with it being on the doorstep, Furness for the same reason, or Cartmel with people feel like its a 'home away from work'. Townhouses are popular ive heard too and thats the reason why she is going for that with 12 in 1 flat.
Last edited by Ghostlady; 2 weeks ago
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi LRob365,
Townhouses are popular so make sure you put it as your first choice and select County and Grizedale college as your college preference. Also state that the accommodation type is what's most important to you. You'll have a good chance of getting them if you have firmed/got an unconditional for Lancaster as you'll be applying when the accommodation portal opens (versus someone who gets a place through clearing).
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.38%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.54%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (60)
18.46%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (68)
20.92%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.85%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.85%

Watched Threads