Can I change one of my a levels after year 12?

Watch
Mr.greenleaf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I am currently in year 12 studying A Levels in English Literature, History and Politics (predicted A* in all) with the hopes of applying to Oxbridge after a gap year to study English. However, I absolutely detest Politics and find it really dry and want to swap it for French, which I would pick up in year 13 and finish in a gap year. Would Oxbridge look down on/judge me harshly for this decision?
robertgallacher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unfortunately, it is quite likely that they would judge you negatively for it. It would probably be okay if you were to do any of the following:
> AS Politics (or the whole A-Level) and A-Level French in Year 13
> A-Level Politics in Year 13 and A-Level French in your gap year

But realistically, that would mean that you would have only done two A-Levels in the time many people do three, and since the reforms, two As is not considered the same as one A-Level.

It is more possible than you'd imagine to do an A-Level in one year, speaking as an A-Level French student
Mr.greenleaf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by robertgallacher)
Unfortunately, it is quite likely that they would judge you negatively for it. It would probably be okay if you were to do any of the following:
> AS Politics (or the whole A-Level) and A-Level French in Year 13
> A-Level Politics in Year 13 and A-Level French in your gap year

But realistically, that would mean that you would have only done two A-Levels in the time many people do three, and since the reforms, two As is not considered the same as one A-Level.

It is more possible than you'd imagine to do an A-Level in one year, speaking as an A-Level French student
Hi, thanks for the advice. I haven't started a level French yet but would have hoped to start it in year 13 and finish it in a gap year and drop politics completely (I know it's a waste but really don't enjoy studying it, whereas I find French culture and language fascinating). Would it be more acceptable if I were to take an as level in French along with an epq over the course of the next year before continuing the French in the gap year or would that also be a bad idea? Thanks a lot.
robertgallacher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mr.greenleaf)
Hi, thanks for the advice. I haven't started a level French yet but would have hoped to start it in year 13 and finish it in a gap year and drop politics completely (I know it's a waste but really don't enjoy studying it, whereas I find French culture and language fascinating). Would it be more acceptable if I were to take an as level in French along with an epq over the course of the next year before continuing the French in the gap year or would that also be a bad idea? Thanks a lot.
I think Oxbridge are quite picky over the 'three A-Level in two years' requirement, unless there are significant extenuating circumstances, which wouldn't include just not liking your subject. I know someone who was applying for History, had a great application in every regard and with similar subjects to you but was rejected pre-interview because of his retaking a year, which they explicitly stated was the reason.

If you are able to do French A-Level in one year in Year 13, which is entirely possible, that may be okay (I'm not sure how your predicted grades would be affected) but I think it's much safer to get three A-Levels in two years, whether the third is Politics or French. There are programs that would allow you to do French A-Level in one year, the buzzword is often 'Fast-Track A-Level' so if that is possible, that may be worth researching. But I would ensure that you at least get three by the time you leave Year 13.
username4347578
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There’s some alevels u can do in a year like sociology or classical civilisation in my college? Perhaps you can choose one of them? You’ll have plenty of times to study french Fluently later
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads