The Student Room Group

HELP! Last minute politics essay and I think I've gotten it all wrong.

So I stupidly signed up for online politics A-level classes, even though I don't actually want to take politics A-level,, and so for the past 2 MONTHS I'm meant to have been writing an essay on international law (because the teacher is lazy and cba to teach) AND I STARTED YESTERDAY.

I have no idea how to go about this (probably because I haven't actually been taught a politics lesson in my life, I was just given the essay title) and so I feel like I'm just blabbering.

Could somebody help make me feel better and tell me if the paragraphs below make any sense? It's all so complex for me and I'm not sure if the arguments I've made are logical. The essay title, by the way, is 'Why do countries obey international law?'

Disobedience of international law is actually very rare, despite the fact that there's no international police force to arrest offenders, and the international courts we do have are rather haphazard and very weak. There are many differing reasons and standpoints as to why this might be the case.

Harvard law professor Abram Chayes, and his wife Antonia Handler Chayes, former Undersecretary of the US airforce, both argue that nations obey international law not because they are threatened with sanctions, but because they are persuaded to comply by the dynamic created by the treaty regimes to which they belong. "The fundamental instrument for maintaining compliance with treaties at an acceptable level," they argue, "is an iterative process of discourse among the parties, the treaty organization, and the wider public."' To simplify this, you could say that because all nations have had a say in creating the international rules in the first place, it is against their best interests to then go and break them.

Contradictingly, law professor Thomas Franck disagrees with this idea, arguing that the key to compliance is not how the laws were made, but the fairness of international rules themselves. He asserts that nations "obey powerless rules because they are pulled toward compliance by considerations of legitimacy (or "right process") and distributive justice.” Again, to simplify this you could say that everybody benefits from living in an orderly and predictable world, and international law provides the framework and regulations we need to cooperate.

And BAM! That's it and I have no idea if I am on the right track. The essay is due tomorrow morning (or today, it's 1AM now) so any help would be so so so appreciated. <33
Did you hand this in?
Original post by 03Michael03
Did you hand this in?

I changed it a bit and added quite a lot more on, but yeah //:
it doesn't matter a whole lot though, I'm not planning on carrying on with politics.
Original post by claraa24
I changed it a bit and added quite a lot more on, but yeah //:
it doesn't matter a whole lot though, I'm not planning on carrying on with politics.

It's good so don't worry, just wondered if you needed any extra help that's all. If you do in the future jest PM, I do IB Global Politics so might be able to help you sometimes. X
Original post by 03Michael03
It's good so don't worry, just wondered if you needed any extra help that's all. If you do in the future jest PM, I do IB Global Politics so might be able to help you sometimes. X

oh okay, i asked for feedback from the teacher and he lowkey dissed me: 'good for an essay done in a week', but i can't be mad because I did only do it in a few days haha.
thanks a lot for the offering help, though i probably wont be needing it because i'm not thinking of doing anything related to politics ((:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending