The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 1
neverknowingwhy
the uni have contacted me saying im in tapton which i really really dont like cos 1. i want en suite 2. i wanted to be in endicliff

do you think i will be able to swap or can anyone convince me that tapton is not so bad?

x

Tapton is well nice coz they have their own dining room and tapton bar, plus theres really good community spirit up there and theres about 400 people up there which is more that you'd have in Carrysbrook court or Jonas (Jonas has 120)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Tapton's not so bad. Well actually yes it is... it has asbestos and legionella, but it's a good little community, and very cheap. If you really don't like it, someone will probably be happy to swap after a month or two when they've spent a lot of money and want to make a bit of a saving.
Reply 3
I had the same problem. I was put into Crewe Flats and although they looked nice, it wasn't ensuite and i was put into the smallest flat of 4 people. Plus, I really wanted to be put onto the Endcliffe site.
The best thing you can do is get in contact with the accommodation office. I got in touch a couple of days ago and they relocated me to the Endcliffe site, with an ensuite. You need to really do it asap though because theyre in the process of locating all the insurance and clearance people. Good luck
Reply 4
neverknowingwhy
the uni have contacted me saying im in tapton which i really really dont like cos 1. i want en suite 2. i wanted to be in endicliff

do you think i will be able to swap or can anyone convince me that tapton is not so bad?

x

What?! Are you mad?? You've won the lottery of accomodation! Congrats! I was in Tapton for 2 years (did an unconventional 2nd due to JCR duties which sadly no-one will get to taste again) and though I don't think it is what it once was, it is still a great place to be.

It's a great size, not too big, not too small. If you are lively you'll probably end up knowing who everyone is come the end of the year, and the fact that you have 400 fellow residents means you are guaranteed to find people you get along with somewhere. Down at Endcliffe, it's somewhat of a gamble hoping you like the 5 other people in your room. There are plenty of people others don't get along with, and if you turn out to be with just one it could ruin your year. That system also makes it more difficult to meet other people as each flat has a locked door. Its carte blanche in a Hall like Tapton, and I'm sure you'll make some great friends on your corridor, if not elsewhere.

Don't underestimate the location either. You are much closer to Broomhill where there is plenty of facilities that you will value, and a much shorter walk to the main campus where arts tower, union etc is.

I had the time of my life there and I'm confident you will too. Everyone else I know has fond memories of their year there.

My disagreement with the new system of self-catered flats is well documented, and you are one of a lucky few who will get to experience the traditional Uni Halls of Residence life which Tapton still offers (more or less). You'll love it.
His Grace
What?! Are you mad?? You've won the lottery of accomodation! Congrats! I was in Tapton for 2 years (did an unconventional 2nd due to JCR duties which sadly no-one will get to taste again) and though I don't think it is what it once was, it is still a great place to be.

It's a great size, not too big, not too small. If you are lively you'll probably end up knowing who everyone is come the end of the year, and the fact that you have 400 fellow residents means you are guaranteed to find people you get along with somewhere. Down at Endcliffe, it's somewhat of a gamble hoping you like the 5 other people in your room. There are plenty of people others don't get along with, and if you turn out to be with just one it could ruin your year. That system also makes it more difficult to meet other people as each flat has a locked door. Its carte blanche in a Hall like Tapton, and I'm sure you'll make some great friends on your corridor, if not elsewhere.

Don't underestimate the location either. You are much closer to Broomhill where there is plenty of facilities that you will value, and a much shorter walk to the main campus where arts tower, union etc is.

I had the time of my life there and I'm confident you will too. Everyone else I know has fond memories of their year there.

My disagreement with the new system of self-catered flats is well documented, and you are one of a lucky few who will get to experience the traditional Uni Halls of Residence life which Tapton still offers (more or less). You'll love it.

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

lol

also... what kinda stuff is there nearby... whats the nearest bank, supermarket and shop?

thanks again!!!
and also, how many ppl to a bathroom and how many on a corridor etc... and whats the food like, how far away is the dining room from the halls... etc etc lol please tell me everything!
Reply 7
neverknowingwhy

also... what kinda stuff is there nearby... whats the nearest bank, supermarket and shop?

thanks again!!!

Broomhill, Broomhill, Broomhill

haha youll see what i mean when u get there. Somerfield down in broomhill or co-op just up in crookes, but in fact as coop has just bought somerfield, the somerfield may become a coop soon lol
Reply 8
Well you will probably find everything you need in Broomhill. Very handy!

As for the bathrooms etc, there are plenty. I have never, ever, ever heard anyone say the toilets/baths/showers are all taken. There are both showers and baths if you hadn't guessed from the previous sentence. I knew loads of people that had applied for en-suite and not got it, and not one of them ever moaned about it. It may sound odd now, but once you get there, you will realise that you will cope fine! Plus its considerably cheaper. Moreover, a couple of rooms in 'Posh Block', the en-suite annexe, will free up over the year, so if you are still gagging for en-suite, you can get a transfer if you ask nicely! But just try it first.

The dining hall is within the same building, unless you are in Posh Block, in which case you'll have to walk outside to get to it (a 30 second walk if that) so you won't be trapsing around as you might depending on where you were at Endcliffe.

The food. Ok, the food isn't Michelin starred, but then again, what did you expect? What is true though is that its no different from what you'll get down at Endcliffe. Selection maybe smaller but unless you are an especially fussy eater you'll be ok (and I am pretty fussy!). You will be greatful though for just being able to get in a queue, have a good chat, dine at tables with your friends simultaneously, and just leave your trays for others to wash up! Dinner time was one of my favourite moments of the day.......often would sit around chatting until the hall closed at 7pm having spent an hour and a half. It all adds to the close-knit community feel. The dinner times have also been extended since I was there so are much more flexible. And you will also be able to spend your weekly allowance at any University food outlet, so if you're not making it back for tea, you'll be able to pick something up from one of the Uni cafes dotted around. Also useful for lunches etc as you'll be out and about most days.

Most the staff are lovely. What are you studying? In previous years there have been huge cohorts of lawyers due to the formerly close proximity of the law department (which has now moved). Anything else you want to know just holler....
wow thanks...
lol i am the pickiest eater in the world... lol but i spose if i was self catered id be just as picky... meh... im vegetarian, do they have veggie options?

im doing psychology, apparently a 20 min walk tho is it feasible to do on bike?

haha you've made me change from dreding it to looking forward to it!
thanks!
Reply 10
neverknowingwhy
wow thanks...
lol i am the pickiest eater in the world... lol but i spose if i was self catered id be just as picky... meh... im vegetarian, do they have veggie options?

im doing psychology, apparently a 20 min walk tho is it feasible to do on bike?

haha you've made me change from dreding it to looking forward to it!
thanks!

haha psych is nowhere near a twenty min walk, you can do it in under 10 easy its all downhill, bar about 50feet of climb just before the psych building.
good stuff,
another q,
what are the pantries like? kettle, microwave?
and how many ppl share 1?
x
Reply 12
The important point is that its a catered hall, and was built as one, so when the pantries were put in it was knowing that people would likely have minimal use for them. Consequently, they are small, and shared between a corridor each. Like I say though, you will find you have virtually no cause to use them. You get breakfast and tea weekdays, and you will most likely be out for lectures/seminars during the day (if I wasn't I just bought a sandwich from Somerfield) but there will be limited hob provision you can use. Again, at the weekend, lunch is served. You might use your kithcen once a week if that. I didn't use it more than that really. Admittedly Posh Block kitchens are much bigger and better equipped. There are bizarre water boiling devices in the kitchens which are probably best to avoid. Microwaves are there.

There is always a vegetarian option for tea so don't fret on that front.

My take is you only get to do the Halls experience once in your life ordinarily (for sure now the JCRs have been abolished), and everyone should seize their sole chance to live it! When you arrive you'll also find my name emblazoned on the board in the bar but I'll leave you guessing as to which one it is!

Latest

Trending

Trending