The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Interviews!

How was it for you, then?!

I had my interviews for MML (German and Modern Greek), at Cambridge, for Trinity, on the 10th. I really do not have a clue how they went!

At my German one we talked about my interest in German linguistics, discussed a passage, some books I'd read...I mentioned Das Urteil by Kafka, which wasn't the best idea mumbled some crap about relationships, completely missing the whole idea of 'judgement', duh! She said my accent was really good, and asked if I was bilingual (probably referring to the mention of German family on my PS, but I've never learnt the language 'naturally') it was either sarcasm, or my German was actually alright, so that's quite good. Ended up feeling a right dickhead after this interview, as I couldn't think of any cultural differences to discuss at the time, apart from humour, and now I can think of tonnes of things, and even how I could have expanded on what little I did say. But I'm sure [I hope] everyone feels like that!

My one for Modern Greek felt a little better. We discussed lots of things, Kazantzakis (Greek author I've read), a little history stuff, linguistic stuff with Greek, German, and English...spoke a little in Greek, introduced myself sort of thing, which he seemed quite impressed by, hehe.

Really don't have much opinion on them. Expecting a rejection though, after some of the crap I came out with, and just cos it's the most likely judgement. Friggin' Kafka...pff...lol
Hmmm. Just come back from Oxford.

First of all we had tests. German seemed pretty reasonable actually; although i made a few really silly mistakes. Linguistics was absolutely fine - everyone thought so, though.

German Interview. Given a passage (in German without dictionary) prior to interview. Went in, discussed it - this seemed fine, i was able to understand it, and could translate word-for-word in most parts- i asked about certain words, though. We had to read it out loud first, and that was fine. Then a brief chat about my gap year (in German), which was ok, though i felt i could have done better. Then the literature. Definitely my fave part, we talked about Roth (he was pleased as not many ppl had read him) and i described the plot of 'Die Legende vom heiligen Trinker', and he asked me questions: 'Why did i like it?'; 'Why is he a holy drinker?' etc. Then we chatted about Kafka, and he asked me questions. I had read a lot of Kafka's books (and one by the interviewer on Kafka) and felt i really nailed these questions. I referred back to the text as much as possible, and talked about key themes, motifs, metaphor, and Kafka’s life etc. I also quoted a bit with Roth, and he really loved that!

Linguistics. Was given a few sentences in Swahili, and asked to describe them. I worked out that the 1st syllable was the subject determiner, 2nd was the tense marker, etc. This was fine, and nice as we worked through it together. Then chatted about word order in German, exceptions etc. - had to give examples (in German) each time. Then we talked about strong verbs, and compared English and German grammar. Basically, we chatted about a topic, and we kept going further in depth (with much prompting) until we reached a point that they could link to a new topic. We talked about the genitive --> dative trend in German. Was a bit miffed, as I wasn’t asked about any of the books I’d read - nor was the chap before me. Thought this interview went really well, though. I was able to answer everything, and generally fairly quickly.

Overall, i thought it went pretty well. The weak points were the grammar test, and the speaking segment. Strong points were the literature segment, and Linguistics paper and interview.

I really don’t know what to expect; it depends on the other applicants really. I met 2/4 of them. It could go either way really…
Reply 2
Had mine a while ago now (3rd) and have (almost) managed to put it to the back of my mind. I just felt that I hadn't really had the opportunity to show them what I can/can't do as I wasn't really asked any difficult questions... everything related to stuff I'd put in my PS or the CAF. :frown: Had quite an in-depth chat about a film I'd watched (and thankfully made copious notes on) and some linguistic theory in my Spanish interview, but in my general interview we just talked about issues in A-level Politics and English Language :/ Am baffled, but I think I've more or less passed through the paranoia stage.
Reply 3
clarkey_berlin, u were wise to bring up kafka, its on the ist yr reading list, they should be head over heels in love with the fact that u've already studied some. sounds like your interview went really well, obviously it can be a bit of a lottery as to getting a place, but hopefully you'll be ok!
My interviews (french & german, exeter college, oxford) went awfully. I really don't think I could have looked any more stupid unless I had drooled on the interviewers.
Reply 5
don't worry, mine was like that, u never know, you might have said the right things without knowing. don't worry too much about it yet though
Hey Priya. Thanks for the Kafka comment - i'm slightly less nervous now! Yeah it seemed to go ok at the time, but, as times passes, i'm becoming more and more worried... i did some stupid things in the English-German part of the grammar test :s-smilie: I'm v. nervous now as i'm expecting a letter of some sort tomorrow!

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL!!

*fingers firmly crossed*
I had an interview a couple of weeks ago at King's for MML French and German and I would be shocked and appalled at the system if they let me in! On being asked what books I read for pleasure, did I mention the French classic literature that I have been preparing for weeks? No. How about the interesting novel about German soldiers in WWII? Forgot all about it. Of all the "intelligent" sounding books I have ever read (which is quite a lot seeing as though I enjoy reading) all I could remember was a biography of Freddie Mercury. Bye bye Cambridge hopes!
It would really cheer me up if anybody else could post stupid things they said in their interviews so I know I'm not the only one (although I fear I am...!)

Kat
Reply 8
shesaidshesaid
I had an interview a couple of weeks ago at King's for MML French and German and I would be shocked and appalled at the system if they let me in! On being asked what books I read for pleasure, did I mention the French classic literature that I have been preparing for weeks? No. How about the interesting novel about German soldiers in WWII? Forgot all about it. Of all the "intelligent" sounding books I have ever read (which is quite a lot seeing as though I enjoy reading) all I could remember was a biography of Freddie Mercury. Bye bye Cambridge hopes!
It would really cheer me up if anybody else could post stupid things they said in their interviews so I know I'm not the only one (although I fear I am...!)

Kat

Aw, don't worry! A biography of Freddie Mercury has to be good :wink: *me, queen fan?*

I'm sure I said lots of stupid things...one of the most memorable is how when I was talking about German humour forgetting about all the obvious things, such as the stereotypical lack of, and Schadenfreude I had a little anecdote: "Wir schauen 'Silence of the Lambs' an, und der Mann stirbt, und mein Vater (he's German) sagt: 'Now he will need no breakfast'. Ganz...uhh...bizarr". Poor Dr Bunyan just looked at me and stuttered: "Ja...ganz...ganz anders".

I was also asked about the last book I'd read for pleasure. Mentioned 'The Picture of Dorian Gray', and started ranting about the obsession with looks these days. Sigh.

If they give me an offer, I too will be shocked at the system!
My interview at Clare was ok(french and ab initio Spanish). BUt i was really annoyed because i d read loads of french novels and she just asked me to compare them lingusitically and nothing about the plot and meaning of any of the books
Reply 10
shesaidshesaid

Kat

Hello fellow King's MML applicant! Were you there on the Wednesday or the Thursday? I was supposed to go for the Wednesday but got ill and had to go on Thursday.

My interviews were hard but I didn't do embarrassingly badly. My mock interview was far worse than the real thing. I applied for German and Spanish (did you have Dr Weiss-Sussex for German?) and the interviewers were both really nice. Both interviews were poetry-based, which was a shock since I haven't properly studied literature since GCSE (whether that constitutes 'proper study' is, however, questionable!)

I really have no idea how the interviews went, so I'm looking forward to finding out once and for all. They better not pool me... argh. Good luck anyway. Even if you are a direct rival for a place. Hmm.

Actually.... nah, I can't bring myself to be nasty :rolleyes:
Reply 11
MKG
I really have no idea how the interviews went, so I'm looking forward to finding out once and for all.

That's kind of how I'm feeling!

Is anybody else starting to just not really care? I don't think I'll be very bothered at all when I get a rejection. I'm not that bowled over by the whole Oxbridge thing, I suppose. I just really like the course, and Cambridge is a far nicer place than London (my only other choice). That's about it for preferences!
Oooh competition! how exciting! (actually competition terrifies me - I just consider you another v cool person that likes languages and kings and happens to want to do the same as me!) I went on the thursday, had to get up at 4am to get there (they wouldnt give me overnight accom cos they thought I lived too close - they have obviously never tried crossing london at that time in the morning from deep suburbia)
I went with my mum, as I was dumped by my boyfriend of a year just two days before and kept crying and I think she was scared I wasn't going to turn up. How tragic did I look?!
How did you find the test? I started rambling on about Karl Marx even though the question had absolutely nothing to do with him at all, I think he was just on my mind at that point in time :redface:
Yes I had Dr Weiss-Sussex - I thought she was so nice! I've never met a nice german before. French with Dr Burgwinkle not so fun, he thinks I'm an idiot because I described my languages teacher at college as "a bit of a fascist, really".
Ho hum
Reply 13
Hmmmm. Maybe I met you in the test? That test was rather hard. But then, it's Cambridge, so I don't know what I was expecting really. But yeah, I was the guy hanging around all on his tod. Errrr...stripey jumper. The guy who had to be at the test room for 8.55am, and who only found out he had to vacate his room by 9am when he went down to breakfast at 8.40am.

Oh the laughter.

Who were you?

And yeah I agree with the person who said they're beginning to not care. Don't get me wrong, an offer would put a grin on my face with a shelf-life longer than [....something with a long shelf-life]. But if I don't get an offer, it's really no major thing - I'm sure it went to someone much more deserving. God, check me for self-deprecating.

Dr Weiss-Sussex was really nice, wasn't she. Although she did ask if I'd be more suited to an Economics and Politics degree as opposed to a languages one. I politely but firmly disagreed :biggrin:
MKG
Hmmmm. Maybe I met you in the test? That test was rather hard. But then, it's Cambridge, so I don't know what I was expecting really. But yeah, I was the guy hanging around all on his tod. Errrr...stripey jumper. The guy who had to be at the test room for 8.55am, and who only found out he had to vacate his room by 9am when he went down to breakfast at 8.40am.

Oh the laughter.

Who were you?

Dr Weiss-Sussex was really nice, wasn't she. Although she did ask if I'd be more suited to an Economics and Politics degree as opposed to a languages one. I politely but firmly disagreed :biggrin:

Hee hee. I keep getting from interviewers, "If you're so musical then why are you studying languages?" look do you want me to do your subject or not!? I thought they'd be pleased! If I applied for music I'd probably get, "oh I see you like languages. why not study them?"

In the test I was the tragic looking girl who kept trying to smile at people and then got disappointed when it seemed nobody was in the mood to befriend me and be my clever soul mate. I also probably came over as a bit mental as I didnt take a watch in and kept looking for a clock, not finding one and instead trying to balance a pen on its end. I'm thinking maybe I'm an UNDISCOVERED genius...ie it doesnt show yet. Ahem.

Regarding people not caring about their replies anymore: I'm the opposite! I didnt care to begin with - only applied for a laugh, then got the interview and just thought, oh well, nice day out, then after seeing the college and meeting people there I really really want to go!
Reply 15
shesaidshesaid

Kat

seriously, don't worry about something like that! they want you to have a life as well as being interested in your subject! obviously u have a good balance! i seriously doubt that'll have affected your chances, if for some reason u get rejected.
Reply 16
Hey priya, just out of interest have you ever met/heard of anyone studying Modern Greek in the MML Tripos? I am yet to find a fellow modern philhellene, on the Internet or elsewhere :frown: It's quite depressing! I'm thinking maybe a lot of native speakers apply? Anyway, sorry, random comment.
Reply 17
i haven't met any or even heard of any i'm afraid! sorry! people in our college do pretty standard european langs; the oddest combinations are mine, a french and russian guy, and a russian and italian girl. haven't met anyone in lectures/supes doin odd combinations either. i'm guessing it's a tiny department
Reply 18
There's only like one Modern Greek professor in the whole uni, so it must be! I think I heard there are about 4 or 5 people a year doing it...I didn't exactly leave my options open, did I?!

Latest

Trending

Trending