emilyineedhelp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi could anyone help me with this 12 marker this is for revision, thank you so so much.

‘The world was created in 7 days.’ Evaluate this statement. [12]
In your answer you should:
• Refer to Christian teaching
• Give reasoned arguments to support this statement
emilyineedhelp
Rep:
?
hi, could anyone help me with this 12 marker for revision please, I would be very grateful, thank you so so much

‘The world was created in 7 days.’ Evaluate this statement. [12]
• Give reasoned arguments to support a different point of view
• Reach a justified conclusion.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What have you done so far and what part ae you struggling with?
emilyineedhelp
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
What have you done so far and what part ae you struggling with?
all of it! haha
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by emilyineedhelp)
all of it! haha
Did you learn anything on evolution or how different types of people believe the world was created?
emilyineedhelp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Did you learn anything on evolution or how different types of people believe the world was created?
no, could you help me and give me some points please thank you so much
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
no, could you help me and give me some points please thank you so much
Wdym give you some points? I can help you think of some if that’s what you mean
emilyineedhelp
Rep:
?
Wdym give you some points? I can help you think of some if that’s what you mean
yes it is, thank you so much
kingaharuna
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Here is what some online sources say along with some off the top of my head- hope these help...
Overview of what the Genesis said about the creation of the universe in 7 days:
in the beginning God started creation. The first day, light was created. The second day - the sky was created. The third day - dry land, seas, plants and trees. The fourth day - the Sun, Moon and stars. The fifth day - creatures that live in the sea and creatures that fly. The sixth day - animals that live on the land and finally humans, made in the image of God were created. By day seven - God finished his work of creation and rested, making the seventh day a special holy day.
Points for creationism:
1) You could talk about William Paley's design argument: The watch is a complex mechanism and so it must have been made by a manufacturer, therefore the Earth, which is complex and has clear evidence of design, must also have had a creator; God. This ties in with the Anthropic argument that Earth is so perfectly habitable and this surely cannot be chance.
2) Okham's Razor argument- The idea that God created our World (in 7 days) is the simplest explanation and therefore the most likely.
3) 'Imago dei' - The idea that humans were made to resemble God, if not in appearance, then mentally, morally and socially (due to the fact that we are cognitively enhanced compared to other living creatures) Some understand it to mean that humans share God's character and nature, or that humans are representatives of God on earth. Others understand that it allows humans to be in communion with God, and gives responsibility over his creation.
4) Cosmological Argument: Aquinas said, "All material things have a beginning and end, so everything has a cause because nothing can come from nothing." This chain goes back to the 'unmoved mover' which is God and points towards creation.
Points against Creationism:
1) Charles Darwin: Evolution provides a scientific explanation for why there are so many different kinds of organisms on Earth and gives an account of their similarities and differences. It accounts for the appearance of humans on Earth and reveals our species' biological connections with other living things.
2) There's no proof that God created the Universe whereas scientific explanations (Big Bang etc.) have evidence
3) Inconsistent Triad theory: God is said to be omnipotent (all-powerful) and omnibenevolent (all-loving) but if so, why does evil exist in the world? And that questions God's existence, which in turn points against creationism
4) (Opposes First Cause Argument) Not everything has a cause; vestigial organs, natural disasters, starvation across the world- Why would 'God' create such things then?

Hope this helps; I'm not sure what you have learnt so please tell me if these points are too basic/don't make sense
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by kingaharuna)
Here is what some online sources say along with some off the top of my head- hope these help...
in the beginning God started creation. The first day, light was created. The second day - the sky was created. The third day - dry land, seas, plants and trees. The fourth day - the Sun, Moon and stars. The fifth day - creatures that live in the sea and creatures that fly. The sixth day - animals that live on the land and finally humans, made in the image of God were created. By day seven - God finished his work of creation and rested, making the seventh day a special holy day.
Points for creationism:
1) You could talk about William Paley's design argument: The watch is a complex mechanism and so it must have been made by a manufacturer, therefore the Earth, which is complex and has clear evidence of design, must also have had a creator; God. This ties in with the Anthropic argument that Earth is so perfectly habitable and this surely cannot be chance.
2) Okham's Razor argument- The idea that God created our World (in 7 days) is the simplest explanation and therefore the most likely.
3) 'Imago dei' - The idea that humans were made to resemble God, if not in appearance, then mentally, morally and socially (due to the fact that we are cognitively enhanced compared to other living creatures) Some understand it to mean that humans share God's character and nature, or that humans are representatives of God on earth. Others understand that it allows humans to be in communion with God, and gives responsibility over his creation.
4) Cosmological Argument: Aquinas said, "All material things have a beginning and end, so everything has a cause because nothing can come from nothing." This chain goes back to the 'unmoved mover' which is God and points towards creation.
1) Charles Darwin: Evolution provides a scientific explanation for why there are so many different kinds of organisms on Earth and gives an account of their similarities and differences. It accounts for the appearance of humans on Earth and reveals our species' biological connections with other living things.
2) There's no proof that God created the Universe whereas scientific explanations (Big Bang etc.) have evidence
3) Inconsistent Triad theory: God is said to be omnipotent (all-powerful) and omnibenevolent (all-loving) but if so, why does evil exist in the world? And that questions God's existence, which in turn points against creationism
4) (Opposes First Cause Argument) Not everything has a cause; vestigial organs, natural disasters, starvation across the world- Why would 'God' create such things then?

Hope this helps; I'm not sure what you have learnt so please tell me if these points are too basic/don't make sense
Thanks for your great input (I would rep you again if I could) but some wont link to the question (E.g. Imago Dei). I defo recommend the design argument and the cosmological argument but also simply it was said in Genesis and the Bible for some is the highest authority for Christianity. 2 and 3 doesn't link and although Darwin can link it wouldn't make sense by itself so you have to link to how some people believe the world was made over a span of time. Big Bang would be a good point by itself. It defo will help OP
kingaharuna
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thanks for your great input (I would rep you again if I could) but some wont link to the question (E.g. Imago Dei). I defo recommend the design argument and the cosmological argument but also simply it was said in Genesis and the Bible for some is the highest authority for Christianity. 2 and 3 doesn't link and although Darwin can link it wouldn't make sense by itself so you have to link to how some people believe the world was made over a span of time. Big Bang would be a good point by itself. It defo will help OP
Yes, you're definitely right about some of them not linking in; honestly, I was finding it difficult to actually "evaluate" the statement given and I probably gave more points about an essay titled something like "evaluate the claim that God exists". I was just trying to help out using what I have learnt so far in school (I'm in year 9) so thanks for clearing up which points are relevant- hope this helps OP
emilyineedhelp
Rep:
?
Points for creationism:

WOW! thank you so much this is extremely useful!!
kingaharuna
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
WOW! thank you so much this is extremely useful!!
No problem, glad to hear it helped
emilyineedhelp
Rep:
?
No problem, glad to hear it helped
i have one last question if you don't mind
what is okhams razor? thank you
kingaharuna
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ockham's razor (It has many spellings) is just a philosophical idea that the simplest explanation for something is the most likely. So in this case, the fact that God created the world in 7 days is a simple explanation for creation and is, therefore, the most likely. Ignore it if you haven't learned it; I don't want to confuse you
emilyineedhelp
Rep:
?
Ockham's razor (It has many spellings) is just a philosophical idea that the simplest explanation for something is the most likely. So in this case, the fact that God created the world in 7 days is a simple explanation for creation and is, therefore, the most likely. Ignore it if you haven't learned it; I don't want to confuse you
oh okay thank you
emilyineedhelp
Rep:
?
Points for creationism:

hey sorry to bother you again but I was wondering if you could help me with one more question, I would be extremely grateful thank you

‘All Christians should be pacifists.’ Evaluate this statement. [12]
kingaharuna
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
hey sorry to bother you again but I was wondering if you could help me with one more question, I would be extremely grateful thank you

‘All Christians should be pacifists.’ Evaluate this statement. [12]
Of course ... here are some points that might help:

There are several different sorts of pacifism, but they all include the idea that war and violence are unjustifiable, and that conflicts should be settled in a peaceful way.

Arguments For "All Christians should be pacifists":
1) The early church (the first 300 years) was strongly pacifist. teachings include: Christians "do not go forth as soldiers".
"Only without the sword can the Christian wage war: for the Lord has abolished the sword."
"...He who holds the sword must cast it away and that if one of the faithful becomes a soldier he must be rejected by the Church, for he has scorned God."
2) In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus said:
"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."
Matthew 5:9

3) Pacifists also use the teaching in the Ten Commandments to justify their position. In Exodus, it says: "Do not murder." Exodus 20:13

Arguments against "All Christians should be pacifists":
1) Christ's pacifist nature and behaviour were part of his unique role as the redeemer of humanity, so Christians don't need to be pacifists.
2) For many centuries Christians believed that it was right and proper to use violence (and thus war) to spread the faith and deal with its opponents. They did not regard violence as an inherently bad thing: whether it was bad or not depended on what it was being used for (look up the Just War ideas)
3) Look up Dietrich Bonhoeffer; he is a good example to use in essays. Bonhoeffer was a German theologian who opposed Nazism. When Hitler was in power, Bonhoeffer helped many Jews to safety across the German borders and conducted seminaries for pastors who were also against the National Reich Church (Nazi Church). He strongly believed in pacifism but that view changed when he realised that assassinating Hitler was the only way to prevent Jews and other groups from being prosecuted. So, in his view, it was sometimes ok to oppose pacifism for a greater cause.

Tell me if this helped or not...
emilyineedhelp
Rep:
?
Of course ... here are some points that might help:

There are several different sorts of pacifism, but they all include the idea that war and violence are unjustifiable, and that conflicts should be settled in a peaceful way.

Arguments For "All Christians should be pacifists":
1) The early church (the first 300 years) was strongly pacifist. teachings include: Christians "do not go forth as soldiers".
"Only without the sword can the Christian wage war: for the Lord has abolished the sword."
"...He who holds the sword must cast it away and that if one of the faithful becomes a soldier he must be rejected by the Church, for he has scorned God."
2) In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus said:
"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."
Matthew 5:9

3) Pacifists also use the teaching in the Ten Commandments to justify their position. In Exodus, it says: "Do not murder." Exodus 20:13

Arguments against "All Christians should be pacifists":
1) Christ's pacifist nature and behaviour were part of his unique role as the redeemer of humanity, so Christians don't need to be pacifists.
2) For many centuries Christians believed that it was right and proper to use violence (and thus war) to spread the faith and deal with its opponents. They did not regard violence as an inherently bad thing: whether it was bad or not depended on what it was being used for (look up the Just War ideas)
3) Look up Dietrich Bonhoeffer; he is a good example to use in essays. Bonhoeffer was a German theologian who opposed Nazism. When Hitler was in power, Bonhoeffer helped many Jews to safety across the German borders and conducted seminaries for pastors who were also against the National Reich Church (Nazi Church). He strongly believed in pacifism but that view changed when he realised that assassinating Hitler was the only way to prevent Jews and other groups from being prosecuted. So, in his view, it was sometimes ok to oppose pacifism for a greater cause.

Tell me if this helped or not...
wow, thank you! you're so helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (22)
13.84%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (43)
27.04%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (66)
41.51%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.47%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise