The Student Room Group

do you think they will let me do A level maths?

So one of my chosen A level subjects is maths. However in my last mock I got a grade 6, and my prediction is a grade 7. In the exam i messed up the first paper because I was really nervous and caused me to get a grade 6.

However I believe that if exams were to have continued I would have achieved a grade 7 or even a grade 8. I have been studying A level maths during lock down and I am actually getting exam style questions correct. Although it is harder than GCSE maths, I still believe with dedication and effort I am more than capable.

But I am worried that all of this work I am putting in will be for nothing because If I don't get a grade 7, It is possible I may not even be able to do A level maths.
Original post by Smoky saif
So one of my chosen A level subjects is maths. However in my last mock I got a grade 6, and my prediction is a grade 7. In the exam i messed up the first paper because I was really nervous and caused me to get a grade 6.

However I believe that if exams were to have continued I would have achieved a grade 7 or even a grade 8. I have been studying A level maths during lock down and I am actually getting exam style questions correct. Although it is harder than GCSE maths, I still believe with dedication and effort I am more than capable.

But I am worried that all of this work I am putting in will be for nothing because If I don't get a grade 7, It is possible I may not even be able to do A level maths.

Hey @Smoky saif!

Well done for putting the work in during lockdown, that's really great! I wish I had the same motivation! :smile:

I think the best approach is to contact your school if you can, explain the situation and see what they say. Hopefully, they will allow it! :smile:

Courtney -- Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 2
Depends on the school my school only need a grade 5 (:.

Hello,
I do believe you should be able to do A-Level Maths - you seem incredibly dedicated and very conscientious; these are vital traits for any A-Level, and particularly demanding subjects such as maths. You have taken it upon yourself to learn some of the content already which proves how dedicated you are and I'm positive that the Sixth Form(s) you have applied to will be considerate of these factors and the fact that traditional exams have not taken place. You should be fine - update us to let us know if you do get onto the course! :smile:
Don't think you should have any concerns. You might still get a 7 or 8 depending on what your teacher thought you were on course for.

The main reason for people struggling with the first part of A-level maths is lack of fluency (or just struggling with) with the higher-grade topics in GCSE maths. It looks like you're fine with this, and are already coping well, so I don't think you should be worried. Keep up what you're doing.
alevel maths is hard the jump from y11 to as maths isnt too big but from As to A2 it will be a different ball game
Original post by bejie
Depends on the school my school only need a grade 5 (:.

wow, only a grade 5 to get onto the a-level maths course???
Reply 7
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey @Smoky saif!

Well done for putting the work in during lockdown, that's really great! I wish I had the same motivation! :smile:

I think the best approach is to contact your school if you can, explain the situation and see what they say. Hopefully, they will allow it! :smile:

Courtney -- Official Student Rep :smile:

Yeah I will contact my school.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
Don't think you should have any concerns. You might still get a 7 or 8 depending on what your teacher thought you were on course for.

The main reason for people struggling with the first part of A-level maths is lack of fluency (or just struggling with) with the higher-grade topics in GCSE maths. It looks like you're fine with this, and are already coping well, so I don't think you should be worried. Keep up what you're doing.

Thanks I will.
Reply 9
Original post by andrew_b43
Hello,
I do believe you should be able to do A-Level Maths - you seem incredibly dedicated and very conscientious; these are vital traits for any A-Level, and particularly demanding subjects such as maths. You have taken it upon yourself to learn some of the content already which proves how dedicated you are and I'm positive that the Sixth Form(s) you have applied to will be considerate of these factors and the fact that traditional exams have not taken place. You should be fine - update us to let us know if you do get onto the course! :smile:

Thank you so much.

Yeah I will update you guys if I get into it.
Yeah I will contact my school.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it

PLEASE do not contact your school now - it won't be well received.

Keep doing work and prepare a portfolio to show your teacher should you get a grade 6. We ask for a 7 but do make allowances when we know the student

Maybe work through these examples? https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=Full%20Coverage%20Revision%20Worksheets&term=GCSE
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest