xxilovedogsxx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I am currently in Year 9 -will be back in school as Year 10 in September and I am wondering what I could be doing in order to prepare myself. My target grades are all 9s (yikes :0) however so far I have been achieving mainly 7s across all of my subjects.
My subjects are:
AQA- English literature and language, Triple Science( at the moment but things could change) Spanish
Edexcel- Maths, History
OCR- Drama, Music
If anyone has any revision tips for any of these subjects , they would be greatly appreciated.
Also, for Drama and Music I am wondering if anyone has any general tips for composing/devising .
Thank you so much for reading this !
EternalKnight_02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Trust me it’s gonna be a smooth ride. GCSEs are notoriously easy in hindsight, just relax and focus on your mental health, don’t burn yourself out.
anonymous0982
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xxilovedogsxx)
Hi,
I am currently in Year 9 -will be back in school as Year 10 in September and I am wondering what I could be doing in order to prepare myself. My target grades are all 9s (yikes :0) however so far I have been achieving mainly 7s across all of my subjects.
My subjects are:
AQA- English literature and language, Triple Science( at the moment but things could change) Spanish
Edexcel- Maths, History
OCR- Drama, Music
If anyone has any revision tips for any of these subjects , they would be greatly appreciated.
Also, for Drama and Music I am wondering if anyone has any general tips for composing/devising .
im doing pretty much the exact same gcses, except music and drama. im also in yr 9 . i had similar issues, mine being that im worried ill have missed stuff. ive got the same predicted grades as well... i think the best thing is just to keep practicing. my spanish teacher for example, just said to re read my yr 7 and 8 spanish books to make sure ive got all the basics, i think the same for maths and science would probably be helpful. i know you might not have enough time to do that, but if u do u can take notes in another notebook so you dont have to read through the whole books again.
i dunno if this helps or make sense, but anyway loll
xxilovedogsxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by EternalKnight_02)
Trust me it’s gonna be a smooth ride. GCSEs are notoriously easy in hindsight, just relax and focus on your mental health, don’t burn yourself out.
I will be sure to take it slow, thank you so much for the advice.
xxilovedogsxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous0982)
im doing pretty much the exact same gcses, except music and drama. im also in yr 9 . i had similar issues, mine being that im worried ill have missed stuff. ive got the same predicted grades as well... i think the best thing is just to keep practicing. my spanish teacher for example, just said to re read my yr 7 and 8 spanish books to make sure ive got all the basics, i think the same for maths and science would probably be helpful. i know you might not have enough time to do that, but if u do u can take notes in another notebook so you dont have to read through the whole books again.
i dunno if this helps or make sense, but anyway loll
Hi, thanks so much for the advice I'll definitely use it and try to recap the things I have done in the past.
Good luck in your GCSEs/studies!
esotarek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
My subjects are:
Edexcel- Maths, History
OCR- Drama, Music
1. Read through the spec
2. Start going over content using YT or textbooks
3. Come up with a relaxed timetable - and stick with this.
anonymous0982
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, thanks so much for the advice I'll definitely use it and try to recap the things I have done in the past.
Good luck in your GCSEs/studies!
u too
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please don’t be so worried! I was exactly like you in Year 9 and stressing before you’ve even started the spec in most subjects is not healthy.
Don’t worry too much
xxilovedogsxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by esotarek)
1. Read through the spec
Hi thanks so much for the advice, I will try out these tips gradually.
xxilovedogsxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moonbow)
Please don’t be so worried! I was exactly like you in Year 9 and stressing before you’ve even started the spec in most subjects is not healthy.
Don’t worry too much
Thank you so much for the advice, I will make sure that I don't worry as much as I currently am.
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for the advice, I will make sure that I don't worry as much as I currently am.
Enjoy it! Think of it as a new chapter
Anonymous 0274
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
My subjects are:
Edexcel- Maths, History
OCR- Drama, Music
You really don't need to stress out, Just make sure to do bits of revision every day and take breaks in between your revision for each subject. that is the one mistake i made. GCSE's is a walk in the park if you revise the way i told you too
xxilovedogsxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous 0274)
You really don't need to stress out, Just make sure to do bits of revision every day and take breaks in between your revision for each subject. that is the one mistake i made. GCSE's is a walk in the park if you revise the way i told you too
Thanks so much for the advice, I will definitely use it.
leigh2911
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
My subjects are:
Edexcel- Maths, History
OCR- Drama, Music
Hey, I have some advice, I'm in year 12 now and did quite well in my GCSEs, first of all, for you to perform well, you need to look after yourself, being stressed isn't going to make your grades any higher and it'd be much more useful to channel this energy elsewhere.
If you want to do a bit of prep work bc you're bored or something I'd recommend watching videos about the topics you want to get ahead in, I used "free science lessons" youtube channel to make Quizlet sets which unfortunately I don't have anymore, but that was my main form of revision for science on top of past papers closer towards the exams and I got 9,8,8 and do two science a levels now.
I did AQA Spanish too and came out with an 8, my teacher gave us a booklet of vocab we need to know and I put them onto a Quizlet set below, so feel free to use them to get familiar with some of the vocab.
Spanish Quizlet set: https://quizlet.com/kayleightaubert1...=1xqt&i=1fwfl4
To help with your stress(I'm a natural stresser too), I'd recommend getting into a routine of doing work in a specific time period and give yourself a cut off time, and if you do your work in these set minutes or hours everyday, eventually your body will be trained to focus best at that time, which will give you time after that to relax, do hobbies, etc. This is my routine(I'm doing a levels and mocks are approaching so this is wayyy too many hours of work for year 9, I'm just trying to show you what I mean.) I wake up at 7 and work in two-hour segments, I go from 7:30-9:30 revision, then I do any school work set by the school, then I have a 1-2 hour break to have some lunch and just chill, then I do revision from 2-4 have a break and do my hobbies until dinner which is usually around half 6, and then do my final 2-hour segment from 7-9. I never ever let my self work after 9 and where I've been studying in these times specifically, it has become a habit to get stuff done at those times, which helps me focus and be more productive which in turn makes me less stressed.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions or anything
Anonymous 0274
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks so much for the advice, I will definitely use it.
nws
mgscience
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by esotarek)
1. Read through the spec
This is great advice.

Don't listen to anyone telling you that it'll be easy - never take anyone's word for that. Getting all 9s will take solid and consistent work! That doesn't mean you need to stress over it though. You're clearly smart and with a solid plan and a structured approach as suggested by esotarek, then you will be on a great track. The only thing I will add is once you have covered a certain topic then try looking up exam questions for it. Exams are a different beast in school, due to very specific and fussy mark schemes! It's handy to get the hang of this once you understand a topic - ultimately this will be the most important thing.

Remember to relax and enjoy this time in your life to its maximum as well. Fulfilment in many directions (fitness, socially etc) is important. You are at a precious stage where people can start to really take off and take it to the next level. Anything is possible!
xxilovedogsxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by mgscience)
This is great advice.

Don't listen to anyone telling you that it'll be easy - never take anyone's word for that. Getting all 9s will take solid and consistent work! That doesn't mean you need to stress over it though. You're clearly smart and with a solid plan and a structured approach as suggested by esotarek, then you will be on a great track. The only thing I will add is once you have covered a certain topic then try looking up exam questions for it. Exams are a different beast in school, due to very specific and fussy mark schemes! It's handy to get the hang of this once you understand a topic - ultimately this will be the most important thing.

Remember to relax and enjoy this time in your life to its maximum as well. Fulfilment in many directions (fitness, socially etc) is important. You are at a precious stage where people can start to really take off and take it to the next level. Anything is possible!
Hi, thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely take it on board . I have slowly started making flashcards for science and history when I am feeling motivated, but also taken the time to rest too.
Anonymous 0274
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mgscience)
This is great advice.

Very very true however dedicating too much attention (it can happen!) will take a hard toll on you physically and mentally.
archivalzebra
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
My subjects are:
Edexcel- Maths, History
OCR- Drama, Music
Getting 7s in Year 9 is amazing!!! Well done!!! Honestly, with those grades, you’re going to do absolutely amazing. Even if you don’t get the 9s, 6s, 7s & 8s are still highly regarded by colleges. Over summer just chill! If you’re going to do any work/preparation, do any work teachers have set and start gathering supplies (folders/pens/paper/flashcards etc.). I did AQA triple science & I would highly recommend frequent testing to consolidate knowledge, especially throughout year 10, and then you can save precious past papers for year 11. For biology in particular, make sure to make your notes from the spec only as mark schemes are very specific and I’ve used wording from the cgp book and not got the mark because it wasn’t specific enough. I also did edexcel maths and all I can suggest is practice questions, practise questions, practice questions. Maths is all about learning logical methods to solving problems so this is practically the only way to study it. The cgp practise workbook is really good for this, along with the piles of practice questions you are most likely going to be given by your teacher. And if not, there are also loads of resources online - mathsgenie.com is excellent. I also did Spanish but with edexcel, but the process of learning is the same. Quizlet was always my go-to for vocab learning and writing out conjugation tables for tenses. Vocab and grammar are key for doing well in languages. Unfortunately I didn’t do any of the others (I did English with Eduqas which is quite different to AQA I think) but if you have any other questions, just ask!
xxilovedogsxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by leigh2911)
Hey, I have some advice, I'm in year 12 now and did quite well in my GCSEs, first of all, for you to perform well, you need to look after yourself, being stressed isn't going to make your grades any higher and it'd be much more useful to channel this energy elsewhere.
If you want to do a bit of prep work bc you're bored or something I'd recommend watching videos about the topics you want to get ahead in, I used "free science lessons" youtube channel to make Quizlet sets which unfortunately I don't have anymore, but that was my main form of revision for science on top of past papers closer towards the exams and I got 9,8,8 and do two science a levels now.
I did AQA Spanish too and came out with an 8, my teacher gave us a booklet of vocab we need to know and I put them onto a Quizlet set below, so feel free to use them to get familiar with some of the vocab.
Spanish Quizlet set: https://quizlet.com/kayleightaubert1...=1xqt&i=1fwfl4
To help with your stress(I'm a natural stresser too), I'd recommend getting into a routine of doing work in a specific time period and give yourself a cut off time, and if you do your work in these set minutes or hours everyday, eventually your body will be trained to focus best at that time, which will give you time after that to relax, do hobbies, etc. This is my routine(I'm doing a levels and mocks are approaching so this is wayyy too many hours of work for year 9, I'm just trying to show you what I mean.) I wake up at 7 and work in two-hour segments, I go from 7:30-9:30 revision, then I do any school work set by the school, then I have a 1-2 hour break to have some lunch and just chill, then I do revision from 2-4 have a break and do my hobbies until dinner which is usually around half 6, and then do my final 2-hour segment from 7-9. I never ever let my self work after 9 and where I've been studying in these times specifically, it has become a habit to get stuff done at those times, which helps me focus and be more productive which in turn makes me less stressed.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions or anything
Hi, thank you so much for taking the time to write out such a detailed answer, I will definitely take your advice on board and try and train myself gradually. This will be so useful.

Good luck in your A levels!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads