The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Applying to KCL

I’m an international student currently in my 2nd year of my A level studying Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics. I want apply to KCL but not sure if I’ll even get accepted. IGSCE: 1A, 4B’s and 4C’s. I know it’s not the best. I haven’t gotten my predicted results yet but I hope it’s ABB. I’ve looked at what other people have got and I’m nowhere near that. Do you think I should even try applying or leave it?
What course are you thinking of applying to and do you know what their standard offer is? If you go to their website and search for your desired course you can check their minimum offers :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by lennycharlie
What course are you thinking of applying to and do you know what their standard offer is? If you go to their website and search for your desired course you can check their minimum offers :smile:

I’m applying for medicine. Yes, I have looked at their entry requirements.
I should probably leave it alone right? Probably won’t make it anyways.

Thanks xx
Original post by Anonymous

Thanks xx

I guess it really depends on the course! It'll be shown on the website.

I know that for Dept of War Studies they automatically reject anything below their minimum, I quote from the department head, 'we don't lower standards, because we don't need to. We are always oversubscribed'.

If it's a no, don't stress too much about it. Loads of other great options for you out there, and well done on your grades regardless!

Thanks xx

Do you have any contextual flags, or could you apply via their widening participation scheme?

KCL score GCSEs as part of their selection procedure for interview (it's 45% UCAT 45% GCSEs 10% WP, I think), so you'd need a very high UCAT (genuinely probably at least 700+) to have any sort of chance without widening participation, I'm afraid. They also have required A level grades of A*AA, so it really isn't looking like the school for you.

The good news, at least, is that you could still apply to medicine at other schools with only minimum GCSE requirements, so it's not the end of the road for medicine, although you will need to get your predicteds up to AAB-AAA (for more detailed advice, you might want to check out the "am I good enough for medicine" thread). That may not be what you want to hear if you've got your heart set on KCL, but all med schools get you licensed to practice and they're all good.

Good luck on your medicine journey!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by becausethenight
Do you have any contextual flags, or could you apply via their widening participation scheme?

KCL score GCSEs as part of their selection procedure for interview (it's 45% UCAT 45% GCSEs 10% WP, I think), so you'd need a very high UCAT (genuinely probably at least 800+) to have any sort of chance without widening participation, I'm afraid. They also have required A level grades of A*AA, so it really isn't looking like the school for you.

The good news, at least, is that you could still apply to medicine at other schools with only minimum GCSE requirements, so it's not the end of the road for medicine, although you will need to get your predicteds up to AAB-AAA (for more detailed advice, you might want to check out the "am I good enough for medicine" thread). That may not be what you want to hear if you've got your heart set on KCL, but all med schools get you licensed to practice and they're all good.

Good luck on your medicine journey!

Well, I appreciate your advice. Thank you very much.
Do you know of any Medical university in the UK that will take me with my IGCSE results?
I guess it really depends on the course! It'll be shown on the website.

I know that for Dept of War Studies they automatically reject anything below their minimum, I quote from the department head, 'we don't lower standards, because we don't need to. We are always oversubscribed'.

If it's a no, don't stress too much about it. Loads of other great options for you out there, and well done on your grades regardless!

I get what you’re saying. Thank you very much.😊
I was thinking of doing nursing first and then going into medicine afterwards based on my grades. Have you ever heard of anything like that??
Well, I appreciate your advice. Thank you very much.
Do you know of any Medical university in the UK that will take me with my IGCSE results?

No problem :smile:

You can have a look here https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/applications/entry-requirements and at the attached spreadsheet by the amazing @Keels25 for schools' GCSE requirements. We're also currently planning to update the medicine wiki to show GCSE cutoffs in detail so you may want to keep an eye on that.

Ultimately at the moment all people can really offer is a list of schools not to apply to, as the ones that are less interested in GCSE grades will still have predicted grade, UCAT and BMAT requirements. The brilliant and all-knowing @GANFYD might be able to advise in more detail?
Original post by becausethenight
No problem :smile:

You can have a look here https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/applications/entry-requirements and at the attached spreadsheet by the amazing @Keels25 for schools' GCSE requirements. We're also currently planning to update the medicine wiki to show GCSE cutoffs in detail so you may want to keep an eye on that.

Ultimately at the moment all people can really offer is a list of schools not to apply to, as the ones that are less interested in GCSE grades will still have predicted grade, UCAT and BMAT requirements. The brilliant and all-knowing @GANFYD might be able to advise in more detail?

Well, thank you very much.
Very helpful xx

Quick Reply

Latest