MSc Computer Science (conversion course) - 2020/2021

Watch this thread
RIP my money
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thread is for anyone who's applying for a computer science conversion course or has an offer!

Seems every year has had one but this year doesn't! I am not sure if there is less interest as I have heard that unis are getting a record number of applications for this course.

To start off. I have unconditional offers from Swansea and QMUL. Waiting on Imperial, Bristol, Bath, Birmingham, Birkbeck
oh lawdy
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
So far I've only applied to Queen's Belfast, and that was yesterday so waiting on their answer. I'd be interested in future comments about some more affordable places (but still okay rated in terms of rankings + general feedback), I looked at places like Bristol but no idea how to afford it when the master's loan doesn't cover all of it, then moving to said place, etc. etc.
RIP my money
Rep:
I just heard back from Bristol too.

(Original post by oh lawdy)
So far I've only applied to Queen's Belfast, and that was yesterday so waiting on their answer. I'd be interested in future comments about some more affordable places (but still okay rated in terms of rankings + general feedback), I looked at places like Bristol but no idea how to afford it when the master's loan doesn't cover all of it, then moving to said place, etc. etc.
Funding is an issue but in the long run it may be worth it with the jobs you could get? Though accomodation is going to be a killer
oh lawdy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RIP my money)
I just heard back from Bristol too.

Funding is an issue but in the long run it may be worth it with the jobs you could get? Though accomodation is going to be a killer
It is but also in the short run, can barely apply to places like Bristol when it uses all my savings and Master's loan to even get in, then moving there, renting, deposits, etc. etc.

EDIT:
Just seen your Bristol comment, good news or bad?
Last edited by oh lawdy; 1 year ago
RIP my money
Rep:
It is but also in the short run, can barely apply to places like Bristol when it uses all my savings and Master's loan to even get in, then moving there, renting, deposits, etc. etc.

EDIT:
Just seen your Bristol comment, good news or bad?
Good! Got an unconditional offer. However 14.5k fees + accomodation. Tbh there is no harm in applying everywhere and then trying to sort out funding
Alfgog
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi all, I was accepted a few days ago to this course. Anyone got any ideas what to study on before, i've done alot of C and java more curious about what theory to go over. cheers.
dokes
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys, I have a question. How many unis is it normal to apply to/did you apply for? Do your referees need to write a separate reference for each one or do they just copy paste? I was thinking 5 choices seems reasonable.
RIP my money
Rep:
(Original post by Alfgog)
Hi all, I was accepted a few days ago to this course. Anyone got any ideas what to study on before, i've done alot of C and java more curious about what theory to go over. cheers.
Which uni? I have done the CS50 course. I am not sure what else to do tbh

(Original post by dokes)
Hey guys, I have a question. How many unis is it normal to apply to/did you apply for? Do your referees need to write a separate reference for each one or do they just copy paste? I was thinking 5 choices seems reasonable.
I applied to 5 or 6 I think. I didn't know if I would get in so went OTT. QMUL only need 1 reference. Birkbeck didn't need any but aptitude test. The rest needed 2 references but started reviewing applications once you had 1 reference in. And they can just copy and paste their reference. That's what my referees did
oh lawdy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dokes)
What I'm doing is applying to any that I like the look of, its free and only costs time, and with the current environment, all I have is time. It's better to have a wider range of universities and those that accept you, you can choose after if you want to go there or not. You can use the same reference for all, just copy and paste.
oh lawdy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Good! Got an unconditional offer. However 14.5k fees + accomodation. Tbh there is no harm in applying everywhere and then trying to sort out funding
Yeah, had this conversation with a friend, think Bristol is a little too much, but other's I'm just going to go ahead and apply and worry about funding come September, a lot of time between then and now to earn the necessary money for the first few months.
Fayeeeeee
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hello everyone, I've accepted an offer from Queen Mary
RIP my money
Rep:
(Original post by Fayeeeeee)
Hello everyone, I've accepted an offer from Queen Mary
Congrats! Which others did you apply to?
oh lawdy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Updating: I've had offers from Birbeck (provided I pass the aptitude test), Birmingham and an unconditional from Hertfordshire. I ended up applying to 6 universities so 3 of 6 isn't bad.

I'm probably going to roll with Birmingham, highly rated and course material looks good.
RIP my money
Rep:
Updating: I've had offers from Birbeck (provided I pass the aptitude test), Birmingham and an unconditional from Hertfordshire. I ended up applying to 6 universities so 3 of 6 isn't bad.

I'm probably going to roll with Birmingham, highly rated and course material looks good.
Congrats! Do you not have an unconditional from Birmingham?

I have offers from Bristol, QMUL and Swansea, aptitude test at Birkbeck, rejection from Imperial and waiting for Birmingham and Bath
oh lawdy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Congrats! Do you not have an unconditional from Birmingham?

I have offers from Bristol, QMUL and Swansea, aptitude test at Birkbeck, rejection from Imperial and waiting for Birmingham and Bath
Not unconditional but was based on me providing an extra reference (which I had already), so it should be in the bag. If they accept it and I'm good to go, I'll turn the others down, Birmingham looks too good.
dokes
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I received offers from Newcastle, Birmingham, Kent and Swansea. Bristol rejected me (oh well, they are too expensive anyway, 14k!). At the moment I'm trying to decide between Birmingham and Newcastle, I feel like Birmingham might be better for this. Anyone had any experience with Newcastle?

EDIT: Oh and another question - for funding I will be relying on student loans. When do you have to apply for this? All my offers are conditional and I have yet to make a firm choice, so do I only apply after firming an offer?
Last edited by dokes; 1 year ago
oh lawdy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dokes)
I received offers from Newcastle, Birmingham, Kent and Swansea. Bristol rejected me (oh well, they are too expensive anyway, 14k!). At the moment I'm trying to decide between Birmingham and Newcastle, I feel like Birmingham might be better for this. Anyone had any experience with Newcastle?

EDIT: Oh and another question - for funding I will be relying on student loans. When do you have to apply for this? All my offers are conditional and I have yet to make a firm choice, so do I only apply after firming an offer?
Apply for a loan as soon as you can, choose the one you're comfortable with but if you change your mind you can on the loan pretty easily. Postgrad loans are £11k or thereabout, so you can't rely on them for anything but covering the costs of the course in most cases. You'll have to work and save.
btw i use arch
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Which one did you firm ? I'm deciding between:
-St.Andrews
-Bristol
-Glasgow
-Birmingham
-Bath
(in order of preference but with very little differences)
Also, see my post where I made a multi-criteria decision making analysis (a simple one) to 10 excellent universities offering Computer Science.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post89990130
Last edited by btw i use arch; 1 year ago
Hdhdndhe
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I've received offers from Birmingham and Bristol but the cost of course and living is more expensive Birmingham. Is Bristol reputation worth the extra money?
RIP my money
Rep:
(Original post by Hdhdndhe)
Hi, I've received offers from Birmingham and Bristol but the cost of course and living is more expensive Birmingham. Is Bristol reputation worth the extra money?
I don't know much but imo yes. However I have heard that Birmingham is also great!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (39)
32.77%
The paper was reasonable (48)
40.34%
Not feeling great about that exam... (20)
16.81%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
10.08%

Watched Threads