The Student Room Group

Anyone else going to protest tomorrow

Scroll to see replies

Nope. Living with vulnerable family members. I support the black lives matter movement, but the more people go out in big groups, the higher chance of it spreading, which means more deaths and added strain on the NHS, and probably a return of stricter restrictions.
No never
Reply 22
Original post by Pinkisk
To the OP. I'm BAME. I'm very anti-racist, but no, I won't be attending any protests organised by the BLM movement. My reason for this is that I worry that BLM movement has, I feel, sadly been taken over by leftist extremist groups out to promote their own interests and I'll be damned if I were to go out and march for more marxism, communism, anarchism and feminism in this country or anywhere else.

It's hard not to feel disgusted by the way some people hijack these things, not necessarily BLM as a whole or the OP, but in some cases it is almost physically sickening. All the slebs trying to outdo each other at the instigation of their PR gurus, politicians trying to earn capital out of it, the whole lot. Honestly, I'm not BAME but I often feel that if I were I'd be equally or even more disgusted by some of these people. The condescending tone from the metropolitan windbags alone is enough to get the bowel going, they sometimes look like slave-masters in drag.
Original post by BLM girl
You are racist if you stay silent and don't support us

Not wanting to catch/spread COVID-19 makes you racist?
Looks like I am an extremely racist person then.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 24
Genuine question I couldn't possibly answer, what was the last example of police brutality against black people in the UK? One that can be certified as 'racist' as in something that never happened or could happen to white people? It gets easily lost that there is actually no real justification for anyone in this country to protest against the killing of a man by a policeman in Minneapolis, USA. What's it to do with us, why are we all now racist because of that?
Original post by Pinkisk
Probably a troll account.

To the OP. I'm BAME. I'm very anti-racist, but no, I won't be attending any protests organised by the BLM movement. My reason for this is that I feel that the BLM's been taken over by leftist extremist groups out to exploit the death of BAME people to promote their own interests and I'll be damned if I were to go out and march for more marxism, communism, anarchism and feminism in this country or anywhere else.

If we had people like MLK or Malcolm X leading these protests, I'd be out there right at the front of these protests shouting down racism until my voice goes hoarse. At the moment the BLM movement lacks leaders. So, it's prone to abuse, exploitation and manipulation by others. It's anarchy and a risk to all those who participate in it.

Definitely a troll
Reply 26
Riots changed history in the past

Not always for the better and not always in the direction you intended it to go. You would do well to consider that before blithely inciting one.
Reply 27
Original post by YaliaV
Definitely a troll

You know, I wouldn't be so sure. This emotionally charged atmosphere sends people into a spin on the back of all the media frenzy and many people are just swept in the tide without having time to do any independent thinking, we can always tell the ones who use a succession of cliches the media and other socIal agitators bombard us with 24/7. I've always felt that it's impossible to tell whether GF's death was racially aggravated, impossible to tell without getting into the killer's head and something that no court in the land could prove. Police brutality affects all races everywhere in the world, it's simply impossible to tell. It may well have been racially aggravated but nobody can be sure of it. And yet, anyone saying what I've just said in public life will be brutally executed with no right to appeal, for daring to question the 'official' narrative that of course it was racist. Something is wrng in thsi kingdom of ours and the english-speaking world in general.
You are racist if you stay silent and don't support us

This line and sentiment is getting spouted by so many people (I had to deal with it recently) that it's making me even more desensitised than I was before. It doesn't help anything at all. All the manipulative sacks of **** from both sides are profiting from this.
I value my health, I been called racist so many times this past week just for keeping quiet.
What exactly are you protesting anyway?
Original post by IanDangerously
What exactly are you protesting anyway?

The next big thing on social media.
Original post by TigerRoll
The next big thing on social media.

Yeah probably.

They’re not actually protesting they’re getting together to blow fluffy phrases like “ending racism” and “black lives” with absolutely no agreed plan or idea of what they mean or how to achieve it.
Anyone else coming to London tomorrow to protest?

Mmmmmmmmmmmno. I don’t want to risk the life of my family like that :frown:
I can support the ending of racism in other ways 🙂
Didn't the organisors cancel the one in trafalgar??
Are these protests actually going to positively influence race relations?
If there is a second 'peak' of covid-19, people (rightly or wrongly) are going to be angry and resentful towards BLM activists.

The protests are also going to partially undermine calls to develop strategies to reduce the amount of BAME catching COVID-19.
(edited 3 years ago)
My bad it was Hyde Park but they received lots of threats from far right groups so it has been cancelled for safety concerns.

There are smaller protests going around see if your town /city is doing one :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by z-hog
Genuine question I couldn't possibly answer, what was the last example of police brutality against black people in the UK? One that can be certified as 'racist' as in something that never happened or could happen to white people? It gets easily lost that there is actually no real justification for anyone in this country to protest against the killing of a man by a policeman in Minneapolis, USA. What's it to do with us, why are we all now racist because of that?

My guess would be not many. In fact there are seemingly so few examples that they have had to resort to dishing out retroactive punishments towards people who are long dead, by vandalising their statues and memorials.
Original post by Pinkisk
Probably a troll account.

To the OP. I'm BAME. I'm very anti-racist, but no, I won't be attending any protests organised by the BLM movement. My reason for this is that I feel that the BLM's been taken over by leftist extremist groups out to exploit the death of BAME people to promote their own interests and I'll be damned if I were to go out and march for more marxism, communism, anarchism and feminism in this country or anywhere else.

If we had people like MLK or Malcolm X leading these protests, I'd be out there right at the front of these protests shouting down racism until my voice goes hoarse. At the moment the BLM movement lacks leaders. So, it's prone to abuse, exploitation and manipulation by others. It's anarchy and a risk to all those who participate in it.

Preach👍
Original post by physicsamor
My bad it was Hyde Park but they received lots of threats from far right groups so it has been cancelled for safety concerns.

There are smaller protests going around see if your town /city is doing one :smile:

Ah yes those violent far right people.... 😏

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending