The Student Room Group

Uni choice

Can anyone give advice on what uni to go to, I want to do a Molecular biology or biochem degree but can't decided where to go and everything is closed right now so it's hard to get an indication in what places are like...
Original post by annarechel03
Can anyone give advice on what uni to go to, I want to do a Molecular biology or biochem degree but can't decided where to go and everything is closed right now so it's hard to get an indication in what places are like...

First find out your predicted grades then search for unis that offer your course and whose entry requirements match your predicted grades then go from there. This will allow you to really narrow down your choices.

Start looking roughly what academic level uni you are looking at.

Also look at living costs, location, big city/small city, campus/city...

Start to narrow down the options.
Then you can look on course modules on websites, look at the uni on google maps, YouTube etc.
Hi @annarechel03
Have you checked out Lancaster university’s bio chemistry course ? https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biochemistry-bsc-hons-c700/
You can also chat to current students who may do similar courses here https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/ to ask about their studies !
If you have any questions about university life at Lancaster feel free to ask !
Student ambassador Holly at Lancaster Uni
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @annarechel03
Have you checked out Lancaster university’s bio chemistry course ? https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biochemistry-bsc-hons-c700/
You can also chat to current students who may do similar courses here https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/ to ask about their studies !
If you have any questions about university life at Lancaster feel free to ask !
Student ambassador Holly at Lancaster Uni

thank you! Will look at Lancaster for sure!

Have a look at the Guardian good university guide to see which Biosciences departments are highly ranked e.g. Lancaster is ranked 4th in the country. As the other threads have said, then consider the kind of university you want to attend. Warwick and Lancaster are both campus universities a few miles out of the nearest town. Would you be happy in a campus setting? Alternatively, Imperial and Manchester are both integrated into the city so life as a student is very different. For example, the city of Manchester has several universities all integrated into the city (Manchester Uni, Manchester Met, Salford) so the student life there is thriving. Contrast that with a Loughborough or Warwick or Lancaster where you may feel more isolated.
(edited 3 years ago)

Hi @annarechel03,

I would definitely recommend making a check list for what you want from your university experience. This could include cost of living (how far your student loan will go may be a big factor!), campus or city based, opportunities within the university such as partner organisations/ businesses, study abroad or placement year, clubs and societies, location or ranking :smile:

I am aware that at Hull we offer a Biochemistry course which has a standard 3 year course option, an integrated masters option and an integrated masters with a placement year option. Unfortunately I am a business student so do not have the specific details about what it is like to student this course, however if you're interested then please do visit our Ask a Student section of the website where you can speak to a Biochemistry student directly!

Hope this helps,

Millie- Student Representative
Original post by mike23mike
Have a look at the Guardian good university guide to see which Biosciences departments are highly ranked e.g. Lancaster is ranked 4th in the country. As the other threads have said, then consider the kind of university you want to attend. Warwick and Lancaster are both campus universities a few miles out of the nearest town. Would you be happy in a campus setting? Alternatively, Imperial and Manchester are both integrated into the city so life as a student is very different. For example, the city of Manchester has several universities all integrated into the city (Manchester Uni, Manchester Met, Salford) so the student life there is thriving. Contrast that with a Loughborough or Warwick or Lancaster where you may feel more isolated.

Thank you, will do:smile:

Hi @annarechel03,

Here at Loughborough we have a great Biological Sciences BSc programme and also an integrated masters. We have our June Virtual Open Days running from 24th-27th June that you can join to understand more about what Loughborough offers and the options available to you. We are one of the largest single site campus universities in the UK, with great transport links to neighbouring big cities like Nottingham and Leicester and a local town that is full of character, so there is always something to do and you will not be isolated.

As mentioned in a few other posts, we really recommend making a list of what is important to you/ want from university. This will help you shortlist programmes and universities that will be of interest to you so that you can then narrow these down to your top 5 for when you apply.

We hope this helps and if you have any questions about Loughborough feel free to ask.
Best Wishes,
Emily :smile:
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi @annarechel03,

Here at Loughborough we have a great Biological Sciences BSc programme and also an integrated masters. We have our June Virtual Open Days running from 24th-27th June that you can join to understand more about what Loughborough offers and the options available to you. We are one of the largest single site campus universities in the UK, with great transport links to neighbouring big cities like Nottingham and Leicester and a local town that is full of character, so there is always something to do and you will not be isolated.

As mentioned in a few other posts, we really recommend making a list of what is important to you/ want from university. This will help you shortlist programmes and universities that will be of interest to you so that you can then narrow these down to your top 5 for when you apply.

We hope this helps and if you have any questions about Loughborough feel free to ask.
Best Wishes,
Emily :smile:

Thank you, I have my open day on the 25th and can't wait!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending