The Student Room Group

Should I go to university?

Did you go? Did you enjoy it?

I would study Tourism if I went. Just wondering people’s opinion on whether they went. If you did go could you tell me where and what you studied? Thanks!
I'm 18, hopefully starting university in September. You really need to know why you want to go to university - for the lifestyle or the degree? Can you go into your dream job (in tourism?) without the degree or is it an essential requirement? I would say now more than ever, having a degree is useful as we brace for high unemployment so more applicants are chasing an ever-smaller number of jobs. But only you can answer whether or not you should go, and whether you're willing to take on a £50-60k debt.
Original post by JOSH4598
I'm 18, hopefully starting university in September. You really need to know why you want to go to university - for the lifestyle or the degree? Can you go into your dream job (in tourism?) without the degree or is it an essential requirement? I would say now more than ever, having a degree is useful as we brace for high unemployment so more applicants are chasing an ever-smaller number of jobs. But only you can answer whether or not you should go, and whether you're willing to take on a £50-60k debt.

Tourism is competitive, I need the degree to stand out. I have convinced myself that I am going to go but am having doubts!
Original post by cryingbubba
Tourism is competitive, I need the degree to stand out. I have convinced myself that I am going to go but am having doubts!

What are you doubtful about? I guess you have to bare in mind it's 3 years, which is an incredibly short period of time in our lifetime and no end of graduates have said how quickly it goes. I agree about standing out, but if you're genuinely dreading it or whatever then potentially look at degree apprenticeships of degrees from the Open University while you work in the industry. What career path are you intending to pursue?
What are you doubtful about? I guess you have to bare in mind it's 3 years, which is an incredibly short period of time in our lifetime and no end of graduates have said how quickly it goes. I agree about standing out, but if you're genuinely dreading it or whatever then potentially look at degree apprenticeships of degrees from the Open University while you work in the industry. What career path are you intending to pursue?

So it’s more doubt as in people telling me not to go because they aren’t. I really want to so the post is just to see other people’s experiences! Thank you for your comments, they have been really helpful! :smile:
So it’s more doubt as in people telling me not to go because they aren’t. I really want to so the post is just to see other people’s experiences! Thank you for your comments, they have been really helpful! :smile:

No worries, loads of people in my cohort at college are deferring till 2021. But I just think it's a waste of a year, given we can't travel anywhere without huge restrictions and there will be so few jobs and internships. Don't worry about other people, if you want to go (alike me!) then there's little reason not to. I think those who are deferring are more concerned about the limited social events during freshers, which is less of a priority for me!
No worries, loads of people in my cohort at college are deferring till 2021. But I just think it's a waste of a year, given we can't travel anywhere without huge restrictions and there will be so few jobs and internships. Don't worry about other people, if you want to go (alike me!) then there's little reason not to. I think those who are deferring are more concerned about the limited social events during freshers, which is less of a priority for me!

Me too! I would be applying for 2021 so am slightly concerned that it’ll be harder to get in seeing as people are deferring a year?
Me too! I would be applying for 2021 so am slightly concerned that it’ll be harder to get in seeing as people are deferring a year?

Exactly my thoughts! The 2021 intake will be ridiculously competitive, as the current Yr12's plus all the deferred Yr13's will be all applying together. I imagine getting into a 'decent' university or you dream university will be much harder in 2021 - I guess all the more reason to start this September! I think this year universities will be keen for us to go, meaning potential financial incentives or lower grade entry requirements.
Exactly my thoughts! The 2021 intake will be ridiculously competitive, as the current Yr12's plus all the deferred Yr13's will be all applying together. I imagine getting into a 'decent' university or you dream university will be much harder in 2021 - I guess all the more reason to start this September! I think this year universities will be keen for us to go, meaning potential financial incentives or lower grade entry requirements.

I wish I could go this year, I am currently in year 12 so can’t :frown: do you think it’s best if I defer till 2022 then? Or should I just go for it and hope for the best in 2021?
Reply 9
I'm a University lecturer. In my opinion, most people shouldn't be going to Uni at 18. I deal with so many 18year olds who can barely boil a kettle suddenly becoming students on courses they don't really understand, that they rushed into taking because their friends were, making wrong choices and incurring high costs. So don't go unless you're sure. What job do you want in tourism? Will there even be a tourism industry to go into in a few years? What else can you do if you didn't go? All things to think about, don't rush it.
Original post by DrD_1598
I'm a University lecturer. In my opinion, most people shouldn't be going to Uni at 18. I deal with so many 18year olds who can barely boil a kettle suddenly becoming students on courses they don't really understand, that they rushed into taking because their friends were, making wrong choices and incurring high costs. So don't go unless you're sure. What job do you want in tourism? Will there even be a tourism industry to go into in a few years? What else can you do if you didn't go? All things to think about, don't rush it.

Thank you for your response. Personally, I know that if I don’t go at 18, I probably won’t return back to education. I will consider everything you said so thank you for your help!
I wish I could go this year, I am currently in year 12 so can’t :frown: do you think it’s best if I defer till 2022 then? Or should I just go for it and hope for the best in 2021?

Ah right my bad, sorry I assumed you were year 13! At the moment it's just speculation, but by advice I would say only defer if you have a plan for the year. Bolster up your CV with loads of great experiences during a gap year and apply in 2022 if you want. But if your grades are sufficient for the entry requirements then starting in 2021 shouldn't be a problem - it's only a potential issue if you're applying for a competitve course and your grades are barely high enough (bit like me for my firm choice uni).
Reply 12
It’s a fabulous experience, liberated from parental approval, many new and interesting opportunities and at the frontiers of knowledge..
Ah right my bad, sorry I assumed you were year 13! At the moment it's just speculation, but by advice I would say only defer if you have a plan for the year. Bolster up your CV with loads of great experiences during a gap year and apply in 2022 if you want. But if your grades are sufficient for the entry requirements then starting in 2021 shouldn't be a problem - it's only a potential issue if you're applying for a competitve course and your grades are barely high enough (bit like me for my firm choice uni).

So my top unis I would defo be able to get into so I think I’ll go for it in 2021?
Original post by Zarek
It’s a fabulous experience, liberated from parental approval, many new and interesting opportunities and at the frontiers of knowledge..

Thank you for your reply! Sounds exciting :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest