gonpikachu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys! Are there any people planning to take a gap year for this academic cycle (2020-2021)? During lockdown I've become much more uncertain about starting university this time around. I feel as if I just want to step back from education for a while to learn new things from a different perspective and reapply for a course that I'm certain is right for me. Naturally, in the midst of a pandemic, there are concerns that gap years will be 'worthless' or a 'waste of time' unless you're planning to resist exams. What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone started to plan what they want to do? If you're planning on taking a gap year this year what are your reasons for doing so?
heyitsmika
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I took a gap year when I finished school and it was honestly the best decision of my life. I traveled (which might obviously not be possible or just a lot more restricted with covid), I worked and I did an internship.

If you're not sure about uni, taking a gap year definitely can't hurt. If you're not able to travel, doing an internship is really helpful and good for your CV as well, but I think at least within Europe you should be able to travel quite normally in a couple of months
gonpikachu
Rep:
?
(Original post by heyitsmika)
I took a gap year when I finished school and it was honestly the best decision of my life. I traveled (which might obviously not be possible or just a lot more restricted with covid), I worked and I did an internship.

If you're not sure about uni, taking a gap year definitely can't hurt. If you're not able to travel, doing an internship is really helpful and good for your CV as well, but I think at least within Europe you should be able to travel quite normally in a couple of months
Doing an internship sounds like a good idea! I'm really hoping that there will be opportunities to travel in Europe in the near future (let's hope there won't be a second spike before a vaccine is available) as I would find exploring parts of Europe more intriguing than backpacking Australia anyway.
heyitsmika
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gonpikachu)
Doing an internship sounds like a good idea! I'm really hoping that there will be opportunities to travel in Europe in the near future (let's hope there won't be a second spike before a vaccine is available) as I would find exploring parts of Europe more intriguing than backpacking Australia anyway.
That's good because there's definitely a better chance that you'll be able to backpack Europe (but honestly, Australia is in no way overrated - there's a reason everyone's going there 😅)

I think Italy is open already, Greece as well I think and Spain will open in a couple of months as well. I don't know when you would want to travel around, but if you're graduating in a couple of months, maybe do an internship first and then see what the situation is like in spring.
Gcrr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah i'm thinking of possibly doing one, but it feels daunting when all my friends are going uni. I don't know if I'd lose my interest on uni (which i deffo don't want to happen)

i'm also worried that I'll be older than the next year... then again with covid, more ppl my age will be starting next year anyway
heyitsmika
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gcrr)
yeah i'm thinking of possibly doing one, but it feels daunting when all my friends are going uni. I don't know if I'd lose my interest on uni (which i deffo don't want to happen)

i'm also worried that I'll be older than the next year... then again with covid, more ppl my age will be starting next year anyway
I definitely get that - I dropped out once and basically did two gap years so I just started uni again last year when I was 21. I felt ancient at first, but I met tons of people who were 20-25, just starting out. And honestly, no one even really cares about age I feel like

And most of my friends from school are getting their bachelors this year so it is a little bit sad, because I'm like "that could've been me" - but then again, I honestly had the absolute best time of my life traveling, and I wouldn't change any of that if I could.

And I'm really glad that I took those gap years because once you've got your bachelor, you might take a gap year before you get a masters, but either way you're soon gonna start work. And once you've got a real job after graduating, most people are just kind of stuck.

So definitely don't worry about age at all

And obviously everyone's different but I actually love uni a lot more because of my gap years. Now I feel like I'm a lot more mature when it comes to my work ethic, but I just really appreciate education now and I was actually really excited to finally get back to a structured day and having to do some work, rather than just taking each day as it comes
Gcrr
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I definitely get that - I dropped out once and basically did two gap years so I just started uni again last year when I was 21. I felt ancient at first, but I met tons of people who were 20-25, just starting out. And honestly, no one even really cares about age I feel like

And most of my friends from school are getting their bachelors this year so it is a little bit sad, because I'm like "that could've been me" - but then again, I honestly had the absolute best time of my life traveling, and I wouldn't change any of that if I could.

And I'm really glad that I took those gap years because once you've got your bachelor, you might take a gap year before you get a masters, but either way you're soon gonna start work. And once you've got a real job after graduating, most people are just kind of stuck.

So definitely don't worry about age at all

And obviously everyone's different but I actually love uni a lot more because of my gap years. Now I feel like I'm a lot more mature when it comes to my work ethic, but I just really appreciate education now and I was actually really excited to finally get back to a structured day and having to do some work, rather than just taking each day as it comes
okay, thank you! this is reassuring!
gonpikachu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gcrr)

I feel the same with all my friends going to uni. I almost feel as if I've almost failed to accomplish something as everyone in my sixth form seems to have decided on what they want to do with the rest of their life and are ready to get on with it. Then again, I feel as if a year out of education could be really motivating and that I'll have a stronger academic focus starting afresh. Also, it's true that there will be more deferrals and post qual applicants so I guess we shouldn't be worried about being roughly a year older than others! Do you have any ideas as to what you might like to do if you decide on the gap year?
Gcrr
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel the same with all my friends going to uni. I almost feel as if I've almost failed to accomplish something as everyone in my sixth form seems to have decided on what they want to do with the rest of their life and are ready to get on with it. Then again, I feel as if a year out of education could be really motivating and that I'll have a stronger academic focus starting afresh. Also, it's true that there will be more deferrals and post qual applicants so I guess we shouldn't be worried about being roughly a year older than others! Do you have any ideas as to what you might like to do if you decide on the gap year?
I’m still in the process of thinking about what to do on a gap year. But I want it to be as productive as possible if I’m taking a year out. However I don’t want to put pressure on myself to make it then best gap year ever’ and set myself up to do a whole list of things coz I know if I don’t complete everything I’ll feel like I haven’t been productive.

I’m thinking of a bit of travel and getting a job. (Other things like getting my drivings license and a PADI scuba license is also something I wanna do. I also want to upskill and do a few little academic free courses on the side)
gonpikachu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gcrr)
I’m still in the process of thinking about what to do on a gap year. But I want it to be as productive as possible if I’m taking a year out. However I don’t want to put pressure on myself to make it then best gap year ever’ and set myself up to do a whole list of things coz I know if I don’t complete everything I’ll feel like I haven’t been productive.

I’m thinking of a bit of travel and getting a job. (Other things like getting my drivings license and a PADI scuba license is also something I wanna do. I also want to upskill and do a few little academic free courses on the side)
This is really similar to what I want to do. I'm hoping to find a job and perhaps search for some relevant work experience, but I would also love to do a small amount of travelling and perhaps take a language course. I'm keen to do some free academic courses with the Open University or Future Learn too. I'm worried that I won't be able to make my gap year really productive with the current situation but I don't want to pressure myself to go to university solely for that reason either. I've just started to collate some plans together and start to make some decisions closer to results day.
Spellslinger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya, I'm taking a gap year this year and always was planning to, even before coronavirus happened! However, I have no plans for it and so totally understand the worry you feel. I'm thinking I'd like to do some volunteering, and also some working, however it seems so hard to get something that's just right, especially with the current limitations. I'm also really worried that I won't be able to make it productive due to the current situation and that it will end up making me feel a bit useless. Good to know there are a few people in the same boat :-)
gonpikachu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spellslinger)
Hiya, I'm taking a gap year this year and always was planning to, even before coronavirus happened! However, I have no plans for it and so totally understand the worry you feel. I'm thinking I'd like to do some volunteering, and also some working, however it seems so hard to get something that's just right, especially with the current limitations. I'm also really worried that I won't be able to make it productive due to the current situation and that it will end up making me feel a bit useless. Good to know there are a few people in the same boat :-)
Hey! Your plans sound really exciting! Hopefully there will be lots of opportunities to volunteer in the near future. It's also great to hear that there are other people who plan to take a year out. I'm getting a lot of pressure to go straight to university at the moment but as August draws near I'm leaning more towards taking a gap year! Fingers crossed everything will work out in time
Spellslinger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! Your plans sound really exciting! Hopefully there will be lots of opportunities to volunteer in the near future. It's also great to hear that there are other people who plan to take a year out. I'm getting a lot of pressure to go straight to university at the moment but as August draws near I'm leaning more towards taking a gap year! Fingers crossed everything will work out in time
Thank you so much! I hope so too, just trying to keep faith that things start to open up to us more :-)
What are your current ideas for your gap year? It's really nice to chat to people in the same boat
jadefn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If travelling plans fall through at all then I would advise doing some online courses maybe? It's a great way to prepare for your chosen subject whenever you do go to university and upskill! https://www.whatuni.com/advice/coron...-course/89592/
Sarahsmiles_
Rep:
?
Report 32 minutes ago
Nice to speak to people in the same boat! I was always going to do a gap year next year as I had no idea what I wanted to study so never applied 😅 unfortunately since lockdown I have actually decided what I want to do (paramedic Science) so going to use the next year to hopefully get some relevant volunteering experience in a healthcare setting. I already work nearly full time in a supermarket so hopefully earn some ££ as well and go interrailing at some point if that's allowed by next spring / summer.
Cloudiii
Rep:
?
Report 5 minutes ago

Hi, I am also looking in to doing an internship. I was wondering how did you get into one? Like any websites or did you have connections or something?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (157)
32.78%
Receiving them online / by email (238)
49.69%
I still don't know (84)
17.54%

Watched Threads