Does anyone have a road bike on here?

Watch
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would like to purchase my 1st road bike I have never ridden one I only ever had hybrid or mountain bikes. I would like to ask some questions if that's possible.

1. What's it like to ride a road bike compared to a hybrid bike
2.What's it like to change bike gears on a road bike?
3.Do you think road bikes are comfortable to ride posture wise for long periods of time?
4.What's it like to ride a road bike in the city?
5.Do you have flat pedals or clipless pedals?
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. I don't know.
2. Pretty the same as anyother bikes however most road bikes don't show you what gear you are in so you have to do that by feel/memory.
3.Probably the same as a hybrid.
4.Dangerous on busy roads, if at all possible try to find quieter roads to use.(keep any eye for potholes road bikes are unforgiving on those).
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
I would like to purchase my 1st road bike I have never ridden one I only ever had hybrid or mountain bikes. I would like to ask some questions if that's possible.

3.Do you think road bikes are comfortable to ride posture wise for long periods of time?
1. Easier on longer rides. If you're mainly commuting, you may want to get some larger tyres >=28 as they compensate for poor road surface in the dark.
2. Easy, I can't name a modern bike where its hard.
3. Yes, but you'll probably need to get used to it
4. Get bigger tyres, lights, ride safely. Its much like any other bike.
5. Mtb clips as you can walk around in the shoes. However, the pedals are easy to change.
Gibson441
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
At first, i want to know who you are?
Men or Women?

Anyway,
The answer is -
1. The hybrid bike offers more versatility and comfort, the road bike offers greater efficiency and speed.
2. One of the most difficult things about learning how to shift is the terminology. Low/High, Big/Small, Easy/Hard, Fast/Slow, Front/Rear, One-by, Two-by, Three-by...
3. Yes.
4. It depends on you, how careful you are...
5. I have a clipless pedal.
FRS500
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)

1. I've never had a hybrid bike so cannot say.

2. I'll be honest with you... I've never shifted the gears on my bicycle once in the year that I've had it! I tried shifting and it made it go funny so I've just left it.

3. Defo comfortable. Get a saddle cushion for extra padding down there. It can get uncomfortable after a while if not used to it.

4. Which city? You could be riding in London; Llandudno; Liverpool or Leeds... Ride safely; follow the highway code and ride with confidence. If you take up the correct positioning on the road and anticipate other road users' behaviour you should have little scope for things to go wrong. If things do go wrong then you have some wiggle room to potentially get yourself out of a jam.

5. Flat pedals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (165)
44%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
11.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.27%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (80)
21.33%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (35)
9.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.87%

Watched Threads