The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Does LSE send out work the summer before first year?

I have accepted an offer from LSE to do History and I was wondering if they send out work or a reading list/material before arrival?
@LeapingLucy should know...
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by jgcr2019
I have accepted an offer from LSE to do History and I was wondering if they send out work or a reading list/material before arrival?

Email them directly and ask.

If not there is nothing stopping you going on google scholar now and finding some interesting papers to read.
No
Reply 4
Original post by LeapingLucy
No

ok
Reply 5

Great to hear that you have accepted your offer! There is no requirement or expectation that you will undertake work in advance of your arrival at LSE but if you would like to do some reading over the summer, each of the Year 1 courses list their indicative reading so that would be a good place to start. You can also continue to listen to podcasts of our public events and watch research videos via the LSE Player.
Reply 6
Original post by LSE
Great to hear that you have accepted your offer! There is no requirement or expectation that you will undertake work in advance of your arrival at LSE but if you would like to do some reading over the summer, each of the Year 1 courses list their indicative reading so that would be a good place to start. You can also continue to listen to podcasts of our public events and watch research videos via the LSE Player.

Very good, thank you.

Is it conventional to buy these books?
Reply 7
Very good, thank you.

Is it conventional to buy these books?

Hello, it is not necessary to purchase books in advance of your arrival at LSE though this is of course up to you. Often you will be able to find these books second hand when you arrive at LSE.
Hi there,

I graduated from LSE last year and studied Government and History, so I might be able to offer some insight.

I found that it very much depends on the class choices on how much reading they expect you to do before starting. As suggested by others, I suggest that you email your department directly to ask.

In my first year I did an outside anthropology option and did not discover until the first week of term that I was supposed to have a whole list of books. These were then really hard to buy as they had sold out online and at local bookshops by the time term had started. If I recall there was not the same "book-list" culture for the history department as you cover so many topics across the term/year. So I would make sure that if you are taking an outside option to contact that department as well. If you do so you can have a hunt for some affordable, cheaper textbooks online before the term starts if they recommend anything.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending