The Student Room Group

Should I take psychology A-level?

I'm currently in year 11 and I took psychology at GCSE. I found it really interesting (despite my awful teacher) and I am thinking of taking it for A-level. However, I've had a few people tell me they really regret choosing it as it was so boring in comparison with the GCSE. I'm also wondering if I am choosing psychology as a subject just because if I don't I would have no clue what else I want to do and I would feel completely out of control. I really don't know what to do!
Hi! It sounds like your worrying about A levels in general and I want to reassure you that what ever topic you pick you are probably going to hate it at some point! I took psychology at A level (didn’t have it as an option at GCSE) and I loved it. There were aspects I hated (research methods ew) but overall I found it really interesting and one of the easiest topics for me personally. I think your best option would be consider what you want to do in the future, would kind of routes a psychology A level could give you, how much you enjoy the subject, and email relevant teachers to see what they think! Hope this helps!
Original post by SoftGingerCat
Hi! It sounds like your worrying about A levels in general and I want to reassure you that what ever topic you pick you are probably going to hate it at some point! I took psychology at A level (didn’t have it as an option at GCSE) and I loved it. There were aspects I hated (research methods ew) but overall I found it really interesting and one of the easiest topics for me personally. I think your best option would be consider what you want to do in the future, would kind of routes a psychology A level could give you, how much you enjoy the subject, and email relevant teachers to see what they think! Hope this helps!

Thanks! I think I mostly needed some kind of reassurance about my A-level choices. You've helped a lot! :smile:
as the above said first think about what you want to do as a career, and base alevels on this.

for psychology (AQA) There are dull bits but majority of the content is so interesting, case studies, theories etc.
if you enjoyed it at gcse I reckon you still would at alevel :smile: it can be alot to remember but after repetition it's alot easier
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest