The Student Room Group

Theres a Uni I really want to go to but I dont think I'm going to get the grades :(

KCL gave me a contextual offer ABC in Biomed. Need AB in both Bio and Chem (any order). My grades throughout the school year weren't consistent so I dont think they show my full potential. I feel like my teachers are going to give me lower grades. The grades I may get: CDE (DE in Bio&Chem) :frown: Idk if I should firm KCL or be safe and not waste a slot. Honestly I'm really torn. What if I get lucky? What if I get given better grades? Most likely I wont. I've been trying to be optimistic. But I feel like I'm being to optimistic by believing that maybe I could get into KCL with the inconsistent grades I got in school.

PLEASE give your opinion, dont try and sugar coat. Don't worry about being harsh.

Thank youuu in advance
dude, how can you not firm it?? if u do firm it at least there is a probability you will get in. your argument so far is "I don't think my chances are high so ill reduce it to 0" do u see the issue?. if i were in ur place i wouldn't even consider dooming my self. wasting a slot is bad but the thought of getting the grades but not getting the place because i didn't firm it is even scarier. besides unis will be flexible this year they may say u can differ ur offer to next year if you sit the autumn resist or they might just accept u anyway even if you don't meet the grades because loads of ppl decided to take a gap year and they have vacant spaces.
I agree with @burntcherrio because you also get an insurance choice so you might as well firm KCL :smile:

Edit:
Especially if KCL is what you really want, there's no harm in trying x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Rozzz
KCL gave me a contextual offer ABC in Biomed. Need AB in both Bio and Chem (any order). My grades throughout the school year weren't consistent so I dont think they show my full potential. I feel like my teachers are going to give me lower grades. The grades I may get: CDE (DE in Bio&Chem) :frown: Idk if I should firm KCL or be safe and not waste a slot. Honestly I'm really torn. What if I get lucky? What if I get given better grades? Most likely I wont. I've been trying to be optimistic. But I feel like I'm being to optimistic by believing that maybe I could get into KCL with the inconsistent grades I got in school.

PLEASE give your opinion, dont try and sugar coat. Don't worry about being harsh.

Thank youuu in advance

If you Firm Kings, you have to be aware that you will probably be going to your Insurance uni if you really think you will be way off the entry grades. Where unis give people contextual offers, they don't generally reduce them much on results day as they have already lowered them. Do you have a good Insurance option?
Universities are likely to be fairly lenient this year but I really doubt you will get accepted with 6 grades less. Personally in these circumstances I wouldnt firm Kings. The big issue is that you probably wont be able to prebook accommodation in your insurance and this can sometimes be a problem especially in London. Make sure that you have a decent insurance somewhere closer to your expected grades if you do firm. Students believing they somehow are just going to do well in exams usually find that doesnt happen. If your performance throughout the year is poor it is highly likely that will be the position with exams.
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
If you Firm Kings, you have to be aware that you will probably be going to your Insurance uni if you really think you will be way off the entry grades. Where unis give people contextual offers, they don't generally reduce them much on results day as they have already lowered them. Do you have a good Insurance option?

I was thinking about making Kent Uni my insurance choice because the required grades aren't that high, BBC. But idk if I'm ready to move out yet (3hrs away). My insurance is most likely what I'll go to so I'm thinking long and hard about it too.
Original post by Rozzz
I was thinking about making Kent Uni my insurance choice because the required grades aren't that high, BBC. But idk if I'm ready to move out yet (3hrs away). My insurance is most likely what I'll go to so I'm thinking long and hard about it too.

You don't have any other options closer to London?
Reply 7
Original post by harrysbar
You don't have any other options closer to London?

I have Westminster Uni (CCC) and Brunel (BBB) Idm making the journey for brunel since its 45mins car, I need to learn the drive but its okay, 2hrs train. Westminsters low on the league table, my family tends to compare each others unis so thats got me worried (I dont want to be belittled) other than that Idm going westminster.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Rozzz
I have Westminster Uni (CCC) and Brunel (BBB) Idm making the journey for brunel since its 45mins car. Westminsters low on the league table, my family tends to compare each others unis so thats got me worried (I dont want to be belittled) other than that Idm going westminster.

Maybe Insure Brunel as you are more likely to want to go there than Kent if you didn't get into Kings and Brunel are more likely to be flexible than Kings. Or Firm Brunel and Insure Westminster if you really think you are likely to get CDE - that is what I would do in your position but of course only you can decide.

I would Firm and Insure 2 unis you would actually want to attend but also be open to other unis that might advertise vacancies at reduced offers in Clearing. If a "better" uni comes up in Clearing (better for you) then you can self release from any offers you are holding so it is easy to apply to other unis even at that late stage. Somewhere like Queen Mary's might come up in Clearing (they often do) - they have a Biomed degree and also offer a foundation year so that may be of interest.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Rozzz

Thank youuu in advance

Thank you everyone!!! :smile: I firmed KCL and insured Brunel
Original post by Rozzz
I have Westminster Uni (CCC) and Brunel (BBB) Idm making the journey for brunel since its 45mins car, I need to learn the drive but its okay, 2hrs train. Westminsters low on the league table, my family tends to compare each others unis so thats got me worried (I dont want to be belittled) other than that Idm going westminster.

Just reading this about 2 hours train. Where are you travelling from. 2 hours train each way every day is excessive. You will be exhausted.
Reply 11
Original post by swanseajack1
Just reading this about 2 hours train. Where are you travelling from. 2 hours train each way every day is excessive. You will be exhausted.

Travelling from north london. I honestly dont mind, I'll learn to drive which will take me 45mins to drive there.
I really cant see you coping with a 2 hour train journey each way and studying on top. You will need to stay. Could you possibly get a bus to say Edgeware road and get a train from Paddington. or even better a bus to Ealing Broadway. If you are thinking of driving check whether you can park your code as most universities wont allow it.
Original post by Rozzz

Thank youuu in advance

Honestly my impression is ABC is already a fairly low off for Kings so I doubt you can drop grades.

If you think CDE is the most likely A-levels, you have a slim chance of acceptance, as even if you over perform this is essentially 6 grades below the offer.

Quick Reply

Latest