The Student Room Group

A level subjects- can I survive further maths

I'll be applying to a sixth form in the near future (I'm from Hong Kong and I'd gladly go if I get in, but I'm fine with staying in my school right now). I'm highly interested in PPE and thus will be doing Maths, Economics and History but now I have no idea what to take for my fourth subject (since Government and Politics isn't offered- sigh.)

I don't see myself as a very science-oriented person, that's why I dropped my thoughts of forcing chemistry in there; besides I won't need it for uni anyway- I hope to read Law or PPE. That's why I'm divided over which subject to take for my entrance exams (it'll be one of the three)

English Literature
Philosophy and Theology
Further Mathematics

Englit has its obvious advantages of essay writing and critical thinking and Philosophy is directly correlated to PPE, so both of them seemed like interesting candidates. However, I find myself strangely drawn to Further Mathematics despite having done research and everyone saying that it's a nightmare.

So, TLDR; should I take Further Maths? How hard will the entrance exams be, and if they are really damn hard where can I find resources to drill over the summer holidays? Thanks!!
Original post by justin_chg.724
I'll be applying to a sixth form in the near future (I'm from Hong Kong and I'd gladly go if I get in, but I'm fine with staying in my school right now). I'm highly interested in PPE and thus will be doing Maths, Economics and History but now I have no idea what to take for my fourth subject (since Government and Politics isn't offered- sigh.)

I don't see myself as a very science-oriented person, that's why I dropped my thoughts of forcing chemistry in there; besides I won't need it for uni anyway- I hope to read Law or PPE. That's why I'm divided over which subject to take for my entrance exams (it'll be one of the three)

English Literature
Philosophy and Theology
Further Mathematics

Englit has its obvious advantages of essay writing and critical thinking and Philosophy is directly correlated to PPE, so both of them seemed like interesting candidates. However, I find myself strangely drawn to Further Mathematics despite having done research and everyone saying that it's a nightmare.

So, TLDR; should I take Further Maths? How hard will the entrance exams be, and if they are really damn hard where can I find resources to drill over the summer holidays? Thanks!!

Hiya Justin!

There's no doubt in saying that Further Maths is a very challenging subject, but it's by no means impossible.

If you believe, or people say, that you are talented in maths then you'll survive and probably do really well.

The first few months will be the hardest, but as you simultaneously grow your maths knowledge, you'll see things starting to fall in place. It actually makes normal maths become a walk in the park.

But I should warn you that all exam boards do contain mechanics in the further maths spec. So if you do struggle with physics, you probably will struggle with this unit.

There are plenty of resources on MEI website for further maths, but to understand it, it's much better to hear it from a teacher.

If you like English lit or philosophy more, then go for that!

But don't not go for further maths just because some people claim that its impossible
There's no point doing a 4th subject unless it's A-level FM, since you won't score "bonus points" for doing an extra A-level when it comes to applying (and of course run the risk of spreading yourself too thin and doing more averagely across 4 instead excellently in 3). Unless your school requires you to start with 4 subjects and drop one, there is no point in taking any of the other subjects than FM that you have listed (unless you think you might want to do an English lit degree).

For the case of FM specifically, it's not really that important for PPE courses unlike single honours economics courses, so I wouldn't generally recommend bothering with it. The exception is, if you think you may change your mind in future and want apply to single honours economics courses, in which case I would recommend taking A-level FM. The choice is really then just on whether you want to slightly broaden your options in future if you aren't completely certain on PPE, or not. If you know you wouldn't want to study economics by itself then just take your 3 subjects and do as well in them as you can, as that is all unis up to and including Oxford/LSE will be looking for.
Original post by artful_lounger
There's no point doing a 4th subject unless it's A-level FM, since you won't score "bonus points" for doing an extra A-level when it comes to applying (and of course run the risk of spreading yourself too thin and doing more averagely across 4 instead excellently in 3). Unless your school requires you to start with 4 subjects and drop one, there is no point in taking any of the other subjects than FM that you have listed (unless you think you might want to do an English lit degree).

For the case of FM specifically, it's not really that important for PPE courses unlike single honours economics courses, so I wouldn't generally recommend bothering with it. The exception is, if you think you may change your mind in future and want apply to single honours economics courses, in which case I would recommend taking A-level FM. The choice is really then just on whether you want to slightly broaden your options in future if you aren't completely certain on PPE, or not. If you know you wouldn't want to study economics by itself then just take your 3 subjects and do as well in them as you can, as that is all unis up to and including Oxford/LSE will be looking for.

Yep, I did some research as well but my the school mandates 4 subjects to be taken for the entrance exam and dropping subjects is a rarity.
Original post by Owencutler
Hiya Justin!

There's no doubt in saying that Further Maths is a very challenging subject, but it's by no means impossible.

If you believe, or people say, that you are talented in maths then you'll survive and probably do really well.

The first few months will be the hardest, but as you simultaneously grow your maths knowledge, you'll see things starting to fall in place. It actually makes normal maths become a walk in the park.

But I should warn you that all exam boards do contain mechanics in the further maths spec. So if you do struggle with physics, you probably will struggle with this unit.

There are plenty of resources on MEI website for further maths, but to understand it, it's much better to hear it from a teacher.

If you like English lit or philosophy more, then go for that!

But don't not go for further maths just because some people claim that its impossible

Thank you so much! To be honest I'm rather set on FM since there really aren't other alternatives- personally I dislike poems which are a large component of Englit and Philosophy and Theology seems a bit too abstract for my liking- I'll have to read some books later for the Philosophy part of PPE though. I also considered Geography but I don't think it's that relevant to PPE, and it seems like a bit too big of a burden.

Do you know where else I can access FM resources? And sixth form entrance exams with FM? I don't want to waddle in and get completely overwhelmed because there's calculus I don't know how to do. Thanks!
Original post by justin_chg.724
Yep, I did some research as well but my the school mandates 4 subjects to be taken for the entrance exam and dropping subjects is a rarity.

If you're good at maths, A-level FM is probably going to feel like less extra work due to the cumulative content with A-level Maths. However you should be very confident with maths and enjoy doing it, otherwise you will find the experience of doing both maths and FM probably quite a chore.

Something I would note is that PPE includes philosophy, so it seems odd that you don't want to take A-level Philosophy (& Ethics) but want to take a course where normally at least a third of your course will be in philosophy (at least initially). Philosophy in a PPE degree isn't going to be less abstract than in A-level (if anything, it'll be more abstract!). You may want to evaluate your interest in PPE specifically rather than e.g. politics & economics, political economy, or single honours economics courses. Some elements of it might be relevant to law, tangentially, and at the least the fairly precise approach to essay writing in philosophy is probably better preparation for a law degree than the other subjects.

A-level Geography is somewhat relevant to PPE in that you may consider aspects of economic development and related policy approaches. However there is the physical geography half which is less obviously relevant. If your school offers it, you could consider something like A-level Law, which may be relevant to either law or PPE.

If you have to take 4 subjects though then you should focus on picking one you find genuinely interesting and enjoyable, as that will sustain you better through the two years of A-levels than anything else. The same also applies to your prospective degree subject, incidentally.
i am doing further maths and i know for a fact that if i did not choose it and just did single maths i would have been super bored. for my school, we finish normal maths in the first year and then do further maths in the second year. i am going into the second year now and already have maths a level comfortably in the bag. i will try my best with further maths but am putting no pressure on myself as it is additional and so i can drop it if it gets too much.

if you really enjoy maths then do it. if not it would be hell to do.

Quick Reply

Latest