Are my IB subjects too 'soft' for Oxbridge or other Russell Group Unis?

Watch
deathray65
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm an international student hoping to apply to a prestigious UK university for an LLB in Law. I'm worried that my course selection is too soft:

- HL Business and management
- HL Lang and Lit
-HL History
-SL Math AA
-SL Bio
-SL Spanish B

What are your guys' suggestions, in case these are too easy?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Any possible combination you could take in IB would be sufficient for a law degree in the UK, as they have no specific entry criteria and you will always end up taking a majority of traditionally academic subjects in the IB due to the structure of that qualification.
BTS gal
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by deathray65)
I'm an international student hoping to apply to a prestigious UK university for an LLB in Law. I'm worried that my course selection is too soft:

- HL Business and management
- HL Lang and Lit
-HL History
-SL Math AA
-SL Bio
-SL Spanish B

What are your guys' suggestions, in case these are too easy?
I suggest having a look at the entry requirements at your top choices and select accordingly. GU is in RG and I know they prefer people who have studied lit, but any subject that allows you to polish your argument and case building skills (humanities and social sciences generally) will be okay. IB would limit the choices too, cos of group issue so just try to work out a combination that is closer to the entry requirements
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BTS gal)
I suggest having a look at the entry requirements at your top choices and select accordingly. GU is in RG and I know they prefer people who have studied lit, but any subject that allows you to polish your argument and case building skills (humanities and social sciences generally) will be okay. IB would limit the choices too, cos of group issue so just try to work out a combination that is closer to the entry requirements
There are no required subjects for law at any university that I know of, including within the Russell Group, and they are quite happy to accept applicants who have taken all STEM subjects even. There is no specific preference for English lit to be taken, and the combined lit/language A-level (and hence IB subject) is also considered equivalently to just A-level English lit normally.
VanillaCream
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As it was already mentioned, there are no requirements for law. Your subjects seem to be one of the best matches actually as you have History and Lang Lit at HL (if you're not a native speaker, it makes more sense to have Lang Lit instead of Lit, as it is considered harder). You have Maths AA which is generally considered 'better' than AI, it probably doesn't matter too much since law isn't Math-based at all, but it still shows your academic abilities, I think. The same goes for Spanish B, you could have had ab initio which is regarded as a very easy subject and you have SL. Generally, you have quite a strong subject combo which shows, ofc if you score high in them, that you're good in terms of academics, so it's fine for whatever uni you want to apply to
BTS gal
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
There are no required subjects for law at any university that I know of, including within the Russell Group, and they are quite happy to accept applicants who have taken all STEM subjects even. There is no specific preference for English lit to be taken, and the combined lit/language A-level (and hence IB subject) is also considered equivalently to just A-level English lit normally.
Yeah but I volunteered for an admissions event and a few people with lit turned up on the stall and the uni people did say that it is very good foundation for law and encouraged to apply, hence said so. Lang, lit combo of IB works
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.61%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.18%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.83%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (97)
21.75%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.87%
I haven't started researching yet (48)
10.76%

Watched Threads