cryingbubba
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
What are the best careers to get with a Tourism and Hospitality degree?

(not for me, just curious)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by cryingbubba)
What are the best careers to get with a Tourism and Hospitality degree?

(not for me, just curious)
Dont think theres a worse time anyone could be in tourism, until cv 19 is defeated.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...el-and-tourism
cryingbubba
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Dont think theres a worse time anyone could be in tourism, until cv 19 is defeated.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...el-and-tourism
Yes, however the industry is going to recover over time so those going to university now will enter into the industry to help rebuild it
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 months ago
Yes, however the industry is going to recover over time so those going to university now will enter into the industry to help rebuild it
Ok stay positive.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Going to university to do a tourism degree is probably the worst thing anyone could do at the moment. Far better to concentrate on an apprenticeship or a profession
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Not for years and years
cryingbubba
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Going to university to do a tourism degree is probably the worst thing anyone could do at the moment. Far better to concentrate on an apprenticeship or a profession
It really isn’t. I appreciate your opinion but tourism needs the graduates to help recover.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It really isn’t. I appreciate your opinion but tourism needs the graduates to help recover.
You do not need a degree to do tourism. It really is one of the worst things you can do - and I am not the only one to think this - look at the thread.
cryingbubba
Rep:
?
You do not need a degree to do tourism. It really is one of the worst things you can do - and I am not the only one to think this - look at the thread.
That’s your personal opinion. Thank you for your input but careers in tourism can lead to a number of different professions. I agree, it is not an industry that is easy to get into right now as it’s failing, but the degree is not pointless. Thanks for your input
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That’s your personal opinion. Thank you for your input but careers in tourism can lead to a number of different professions. I agree, it is not an industry that is easy to get into right now as it’s failing, but the degree is not pointless. Thanks for your input
Since the thread is not for you, I am curious to know why you are so bothered.

You are young and keen to get experience ( well your "friend" is) I am old and have lived and I know what is going to be important in the next few years. A degree in tourism is going to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Better to get management skills, basic hotel work ( I worked as a chambermaid in France - taught me loads) . Get language skills. Kitchen skills. Far more useful than essay writing and Harvard referencing
cryingbubba
Rep:
?
Since the thread is not for you, I am curious to know why you are so bothered.

You are young and keen to get experience ( well your "friend" is) I am old and have lived and I know what is going to be important in the next few years. A degree in tourism is going to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Better to get management skills, basic hotel work ( I worked as a chambermaid in France - taught me loads) . Get language skills. Kitchen skills. Far more useful than essay writing and Harvard referencing
Hi! So the degree, as I stated in the original post, is Tourism and Hospitality. This means the majority of the course is hospitality skills such as management skills, basic hotel work and the rest of what you stated. This particular uni offers a placement year with Marriott Hotels with a guaranteed job at the end of it if you perform well. I understand I’m young and less experienced than you, however looking at what I have just explained, I’m sure you can see why this degree seems worth it?
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi! So the degree, as I stated in the original post, is Tourism and Hospitality. This means the majority of the course is hospitality skills such as management skills, basic hotel work and the rest of what you stated. This particular uni offers a placement year with Marriott Hotels with a guaranteed job at the end of it if you perform well. I understand I’m young and less experienced than you, however looking at what I have just explained, I’m sure you can see why this degree seems worth it?
Not really - no. DO you really need to be spending £27K to do the same job as someone who starts as a chamber maid.
cryingbubba
Rep:
?
Not really - no. DO you really need to be spending £27K to do the same job as someone who starts as a chamber maid.
Yes, Tourism is competitive. Especially for businesses such as Marriott Hotels, you need something to make you stand out and that in this case would be a degree.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yes, Tourism is competitive. Especially for businesses such as Marriott Hotels, you need something to make you stand out and that in this case would be a degree.
Squeaky - just talk to yourself......27k.......
cryingbubba
Rep:
?
Squeaky - just talk to yourself......27k.......
Yes, a lot of money. But a joint degree with tourism and a chance to study a language alongside with it means standing out in the field. It could be a chance worth taking...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (10)
14.71%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (12)
17.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (31)
45.59%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (12)
17.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads