ira.m
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi so I would like to apply for nursing, however depending on how things go with nursing I would possibly want to switch to medicine. Is that possible? Would it be helpful or should I do a course like biomedicine / biochemistry and then go into medicine?
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ira.m)
Hi so I would like to apply for nursing, however depending on how things go with nursing I would possibly want to switch to medicine. Is that possible? Would it be helpful or should I do a course like biomedicine / biochemistry and then go into medicine?
Nursing doesn't really open many doors to get into graduate medicine (you can't "switch"). It isn't really considered science based enough for many or you'll need biology and chemistry A-levels as well.

If medicine is what you want either apply directly for that, or biomedicine etc would open more doors for graduate entry medicine.

On a side note, nursing isn't really a stepping stone to medicine. Yes, people decide later on to switch, but nursing is a profession in its own right and you should only do the degree if you actually want to be a nurse. The training is tough as it is, you don't want to go through all that if you have no intention of nursing.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If you want to do medicine you should do medicine. If you want to do nursing you should do nursing.
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I can only echo what others have said lol. The two professions are very different... but both equally rewarding.

You won't receive preferential treatment going into GEM after Nursing, but it is possible. Some uni's specifically require a degree in a Life/Health/Biomedical Science, but some (such as Notts, QMUL, Warwick etc) will accept a 2:1 and above in a degree of any discipline. The general consensus seems to be that regardless of degree, you definitely need A Level Biology & Chemistry.

You ask if it's helpful... I'd say probably not, no. Nursing is a challenging degree in its own right... as is medicine. If you're leaning towards medicine, it's probably best to take a more conventional route into it because 3 years of an intense nursing degree for a qualification/registration that you're not even wanting to use, to then jump into another intense degree in medicine is probably just going to wear thin on your own mental health tbh... especially since Nursing doesn't offer any direct opportunities to top-up to become a doctor or anything lol

Look at the roles of a doctor compared to a nurse (taking into account nursing progression... ACP's & Nurse Consultants exist hehe), have a look at your course modules for nursing vs medicine, speak to some current student nurses and medical students about their courses/what they actually do/ how they find it etc (there are plenty on social media... & on here of course!) ... once you've got a clearer idea of everything, you'll probably find that you're in a better position to choose one route or the other
Last edited by moosec; 5 months ago
ira.m
Rep:
?
(Original post by moosec)
I can only echo what others have said lol. The two professions are very different... but both equally rewarding.

You won't receive preferential treatment going into GEM after Nursing, but it is possible. Some uni's specifically require a degree in a Life/Health/Biomedical Science, but some (such as Notts, QMUL, Warwick etc) will accept a 2:1 and above in a degree of any discipline. The general consensus seems to be that regardless of degree, you definitely need A Level Biology & Chemistry.

You ask if it's helpful... I'd say probably not, no. Nursing is a challenging degree in its own right... as is medicine. If you're leaning towards medicine, it's probably best to take a more conventional route into it because 3 years of an intense nursing degree for a qualification/registration that you're not even wanting to use, to then jump into another intense degree in medicine is probably just going to wear thin on your own mental health tbh... especially since Nursing doesn't offer any direct opportunities to top-up to become a doctor or anything lol

Look at the roles of a doctor compared to a nurse (taking into account nursing progression... ACP's & Nurse Consultants exist hehe), have a look at your course modules for nursing vs medicine, speak to some current student nurses and medical students about their courses/what they actually do/ how they find it etc (there are plenty on social media... & on here of course!) ... once you've got a clearer idea of everything, you'll probably find that you're in a better position to choose one route or the other
Thank you for the reply!

My main concern is that if I do directly apply for medicine is that I won’t get in due to my GCSEs, however I’m still doing A Level Chem and Bio. So I just thought of back up ways to get into medicine so I guess taking a subject like biomedicine or biochemistry would be more useful and less stressful with which I can switch to medicine after.
ira.m
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
If you want to do medicine you should do medicine. If you want to do nursing you should do nursing.
My problem is that I’m just looking for alternative ways to get into medicine cause I feel like I won’t get in first round due to my GCSEs.
ira.m
Rep:
?
(Original post by ForestCat)
Nursing doesn't really open many doors to get into graduate medicine (you can't "switch"). It isn't really considered science based enough for many or you'll need biology and chemistry A-levels as well.

If medicine is what you want either apply directly for that, or biomedicine etc would open more doors for graduate entry medicine.

On a side note, nursing isn't really a stepping stone to medicine. Yes, people decide later on to switch, but nursing is a profession in its own right and you should only do the degree if you actually want to be a nurse. The training is tough as it is, you don't want to go through all that if you have no intention of nursing.
Thank you for your reply! I’m just looking for alternative ways to get into medicine because I’m way too scared of applying first round and not being accepted due to my GCSEs
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ira.m)
My problem is that I’m just looking for alternative ways to get into medicine cause I feel like I won’t get in first round due to my GCSEs.
Not a problem for many med schools. You would need the A-levels of course though. Consider posting in the 'Am I good enough' megathread.

If you are wanting to aim for grad med be aware it is more competitive. Nursing would also not be a good choice for doing that, as mentioned above. Possible, but limits choices significantly.
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ira.m)
Thank you for the reply!

My main concern is that if I do directly apply for medicine is that I won’t get in due to my GCSEs, however I’m still doing A Level Chem and Bio. So I just thought of back up ways to get into medicine so I guess taking a subject like biomedicine or biochemistry would be more useful and less stressful with which I can switch to medicine after.
yeah! Simply put, if you don't want to be a nurse, don't study nursing haha it's a better use of your time to do a course more appropriate to Graduate Entry Medicine...
in terms of your GCSE's, here's a resource I found with a quick google search that discusses GCSE requirements for medicine: https://themsag.com/blogs/applying-t...e-requirements maybe some use?
ira.m
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Not a problem for many med schools. You would need the A-levels of course though. Consider posting in the 'Am I good enough' megathread.

If you are wanting to aim for grad med be aware it is more competitive. Nursing would also not be a good choice for doing that, as mentioned above. Possible, but limits choices significantly.
Okay! Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it good luck
ira.m
Rep:
?
(Original post by moosec)
yeah! Simply put, if you don't want to be a nurse, don't study nursing haha it's a better use of your time to do a course more appropriate to Graduate Entry Medicine...
in terms of your GCSE's, here's a resource I found with a quick google search that discusses GCSE requirements for medicine: https://themsag.com/blogs/applying-t...e-requirements maybe some use?
Thank you this is very useful! I appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (617)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (768)
42.01%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads