RennLea
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, I'm in year 12 and I was thinking of doing languages at uni, but recently I haven't been sure if it was for me. Instead, I have been considering computer science, but since I haven't done computer science at GCSE or A-Level, I'm not entirely sure what is involved?

My current subjects: Maths, Further Maths (options being statistics and decision), French and Spanish. I'm predicted all As but obviously we haven't had an actual mock yet, so this could change.

I'd say my favourite subject is further maths at the moment because I enjoy the optional modules we take. Also, I've had an interest in coding for a few years but my knowledge is pretty much non-existent :laugh:

So, could someone briefly explain what a computer science degree involves and if it could possibly suit me? Thank you!
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Comp Sci is basically maths

(It studies concepts of computing, such as Turing machines, a mathematical model of computation that defines an abstract machine, which manipulates symbols on an infinite paper strip)

However it means that not only can you deal with today’s PC Mac personal computers, but also supercomputers, nano-computers and whatever type of computer might exist in 50 years. You would be one of the team bringing in quantum systems, possibly.

Try a bit of online coding( MIT scratch) or Roblox , and also buy a £25 Raspberry Pi version 3 B+(cooler) or new version 4 (faster),
see if you like installing a new OS on it. That might emulate a simple project in comp sci, before you get onto AI/ML/Robots...
Last edited by LuigiMario; 4 months ago
Max^2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Mathematics and Further Mathematics will put you in seriously good standing for admission to top Computer Science programmes across the country, especially with the predicted grades that you have. To my knowledge, no university sets A-level or GCSE Computer Science in their entry requirements in the UK, as even the likes of Oxford and Cambridge want students to be proficient in Mathematics.

That being said, most universities require A-level Mathematics to a certain grade, and many like to see Further Mathematics too but again it is generally not a set requirement. For reference, I'm aware Oxford make potential candidates take a Maths admissions exam for Computer Science, called the MAT. Cambridge, Warwick and some other universities also use a Sixth Term Examination Paper, or 'STEP' which tests mathematical proficiency as Computer Science is essentially a form of applied maths.

Universities also know that some colleges don't even offer Computer Science, and GCSE Computer Science is not offered in some schools so it won't affect you in your application. To get a feel for what Computer Science really is, websites like freecodecamp provide free lessons in programming and other concepts in Computer Science, and many universities run free courses on the Institute of Coding. 'Crash Course' also have a set of videos that cover some basic concepts of Computer Science, and for more in-depth discussion and concepts in the field the 'Computerphile' youtube channel (ran by Nottingham University) also talks about Computer Science. All of these resources will help greatly in understanding what Computer Science is about and will make a personal statement for university stand out.

If you enjoy problem solving, then you will most likely enjoy Computer Science.
2aseel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Max^2)
Mathematics and Further Mathematics will put you in seriously good standing for admission to top Computer Science programmes across the country, especially with the predicted grades that you have. To my knowledge, no university sets A-level or GCSE Computer Science in their entry requirements in the UK, as even the likes of Oxford and Cambridge want students to be proficient in Mathematics.

That being said, most universities require A-level Mathematics to a certain grade, and many like to see Further Mathematics too but again it is generally not a set requirement. For reference, I'm aware Oxford make potential candidates take a Maths admissions exam for Computer Science, called the MAT. Cambridge, Warwick and some other universities also use a Sixth Term Examination Paper, or 'STEP' which tests mathematical proficiency as Computer Science is essentially a form of applied maths.

Universities also know that some colleges don't even offer Computer Science, and GCSE Computer Science is not offered in some schools so it won't affect you in your application. To get a feel for what Computer Science really is, websites like freecodecamp provide free lessons in programming and other concepts in Computer Science, and many universities run free courses on the Institute of Coding. 'Crash Course' also have a set of videos that cover some basic concepts of Computer Science, and for more in-depth discussion and concepts in the field the 'Computerphile' youtube channel (ran by Nottingham University) also talks about Computer Science. All of these resources will help greatly in understanding what Computer Science is about and will make a personal statement for university stand out.

If you enjoy problem solving, then you will most likely enjoy Computer Science.
My God this has answers to 90% of my computer science related questions thank you
AcseI
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 2aseel)
My God this has answers to 90% of my computer science related questions thank you
Need any help with the other 10% of your questions?
2aseel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AcseI)
Need any help with the other 10% of your questions?
hmm the other questions are insubstantial like "will i be able to do this?" but thanks i appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.64%
I'm not sure (54)
4.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (345)
29.19%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (575)
48.65%

Watched Threads