I felt that 😭💔
xxxqueen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mirabelleij)
hey! im also in year11 hoping for good GCSEs. aiming for three 9 and seven 8s

hoping to apply for cambridge, ucl, imperial, bristol and manchester for medicine
im doing biology, chemistry, french and spanish at a level but im quite worried about not taking maths at a level because cambridge are notorious for only accepting people with maths a level (only 3% apply without maths at a level and of that 3%, only 3% actually get a place) im considering oxford instead but cambridge is really where my heart is set

i havent really started any AS level prep and now i feel like im behind (
did two weeks of work experience last summer at a clinic/medical centre
dww I haven’t started either. I will soon but I’m prioritising wider reading and research then getting ahead with the a level knowledge. Just make sure that you do all the transition work that your school sets.
BUT how did you get work experience LAST SUMMER!!
mirabelleij
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by xxxqueen)
dww I haven’t started either. I will soon but I’m prioritising wider reading and research then getting ahead with the a level knowledge. Just make sure that you do all the transition work that your school sets.
BUT how did you get work experience LAST SUMMER!!
in my school its compulsory for year 10s to spend two weeks doing work experience in the summer term and luckily i had a family friend thats a doctor so he let me do mine at his medical centre
themartinipolice
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So I’m going to be repeating y12, I’m changing 2 of my 3 subjects, so I will now be doing Bio, Chem and Maths . I pissed about so much this year that I really want to just focus on making the best application possible. I’ve had the last few months to solidify my chem year one knowledge and get a head start on bio and maths.

My question is what are the things I can do over the next year to really make myself stand out as a candidate. All these pages and help articles say the same thing “every medicine applicant has high grades and work experience, you need to stand out” but what exactly can I do to stand out?

I’m going to get a long term weekly volunteering placement at my local hospital and then see if I can get some focused work experience over the year, I intend to do an EPQ, some MOOCs and reading etc but aside from this, keeping on top of content and maybe DofE or something I’m not sure what else I can do. I really want to work hard this year bc I feel like I really let myself down, so I’m prepared to work as hard as I have to.

Thank you
Last edited by themartinipolice; 1 week ago
lucybirdx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by themartinipolice)
So I’m going to be repeating y12, I’m changing 2 of my 3 subjects, so I will now be doing Bio, Chem and Maths . I pissed about so much this year that I really want to just focus on making the best application possible. I’ve had the last few months to solidify my chem year one knowledge and get a head start on bio and maths.

My question is what are the things I can do over the next year to really make myself stand out as a candidate. All these pages and help articles say the same thing “every medicine applicant has high grades and work experience, you need to stand out” but what exactly can I do to stand out?

I’m going to get a long term weekly volunteering placement at my local hospital and then see if I can get some focused work experience over the year, I intend to do an EPQ, some MOOCs and reading etc but aside from this, keeping on top of content and maybe DofE or something I’m not sure what else I can do. I really want to work hard this year bc I feel like I really let myself down, so I’m prepared to work as hard as I have to.

Thank you
Are you doing chemistry in 2021 or 2022? You might have to do in 2021 (most medical schools require you to have completed the course over 2 years not 3, I'm assuming if you can email prospective ones and explain your situation with changing your subjects then they won't mind that they're done separately to chemistry). I volunteered for my local Scouts group, and that's a good easy one because it's literally an hour-2 hours a week and you get a load of the GMC qualities you need. If you have a local St John's ambulance then apply to be a volunteer (you can then get first aid trained too!), and care homes are always a good shout. I mentored as well which helped my application, and I did a medical volunteer trip abroad through Projects Abroad in the summer between y12 and y13 which made my application stand out a lot, especially because I paid for it myself. Seeing as you'll be 18 before you apply you can also look to be a volunteer at certain rehab places or even train to be a HCA. Obviously you don't need to do everything I've mentioned but they're just some ideas
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by princessefe15)
I am currently studying Chemistry, Mathematics, Spanish and Art. I want to apply/interested in applying for Medicine next year 2021 at Cardiff University (foundation), Bristol University, Sheffield University, Keele University, Liverpool University and Leeds University...
Applying in 2021 for 2022 entry? Then this thread is what you need - you'll find other people.

Note that Medicine with a Foundation Year also counts as a Medicine choice, hence you cannot choose all these 5 unis - maybe 1 foundation and 3 regular?

I know there is plenty of time, but I would like to know if not taking Biology A-level would result as a disadvantage?
Depends on if the med school has asked for it - if they ask for Biology then not taking it will mean an automatic rejection. If they don't ask for it, not taking it will not mean you are disadvantaged if you didn't take it. You won't gain an advantage either.

I have had a look at all their entry requirements and I can surely get in without Biology. Has anyone experienced this too?
Basically = if they didn't state they need Biology then you'd be fine.

Also, Leeds is the only university that does BMAT, should I also consider it as part of my choices?
Yes... applying to 3 UCAT and 1 BMAT med school is fine.
lucybirdx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mirabelleij)
hey! im also in year11 hoping for good GCSEs. aiming for three 9 and seven 8s

hoping to apply for cambridge, ucl, imperial, bristol and manchester for medicine
im doing biology, chemistry, french and spanish at a level but im quite worried about not taking maths at a level because cambridge are notorious for only accepting people with maths a level (only 3% apply without maths at a level and of that 3%, only 3% actually get a place) im considering oxford instead but cambridge is really where my heart is set

i havent really started any AS level prep and now i feel like im behind (

did two weeks of work experience last summer at a clinic/medical centre
Not sure if it helps you make your decision but Bristol is more integrated and Manchester is more traditionally taught (same as your other universities)
lucybirdx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by princessefe15)
I am currently studying Chemistry, Mathematics, Spanish and Art. I want to apply/interested in applying for Medicine next year 2021 at Cardiff University (foundation), Bristol University, Sheffield University, Keele University, Liverpool University and Leeds University...

I know there is plenty of time, but I would like to know if not taking Biology A-level would result as a disadvantage?
I have had a look at all their entry requirements and I can surely get in without Biology. Has anyone experienced this too?

Also, Leeds is the only university that does BMAT, should I also consider it as part of my choices?
My friend didn't do biology and she got in to all of her choices!! I would recommend befriending some biology students before you start medical school though and seeing if you can get some of their notes off them to help you grasp the content a bit easier when you start at medical school. Also - most people only apply to one or two BMAT universities due to the timings of the BMAT so I wouldn't worry about that
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lucybirdx)
Not sure if it helps you make your decision but Bristol is more integrated and Manchester is more traditionally taught (same as your other universities)
Manchester was the original PBL med school! Though they have dialled back a bit on this in recent years and it is now more mixed. But not traditional in the usual; meaning of the word
princessefe15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Applying in 2021 for 2022 entry? Then this thread is what you need - you'll find other people.

Note that Medicine with a Foundation Year also counts as a Medicine choice, hence you cannot choose all these 5 unis - maybe 1 foundation and 3 regular?

Depends on if the med school has asked for it - if they ask for Biology then not taking it will mean an automatic rejection. If they don't ask for it, not taking it will not mean you are disadvantaged if you didn't take it. You won't gain an advantage either.

Basically = if they didn't state they need Biology then you'd be fine.

Yes... applying to 3 UCAT and 1 BMAT med school is fine.
Aw okay thank you, this helps
princessefe15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lucybirdx)
My friend didn't do biology and she got in to all of her choices!! I would recommend befriending some biology students before you start medical school though and seeing if you can get some of their notes off them to help you grasp the content a bit easier when you start at medical school. Also - most people only apply to one or two BMAT universities due to the timings of the BMAT so I wouldn't worry about that
Okay, thank you!
lucybirdx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Manchester was the original PBL med school! Though they have dialled back a bit on this in recent years and it is now more mixed. But not traditional in the usual; meaning of the word
Ah nevermind!!! A friend of mine had applied to all other traditional ones and Manchester so I assumed wrong!!
anomaLous_2004
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hello, I'm a 16-year-old aspiring to be a physician as well.

I'm hoping to get at least 3 9s, 5 8s and 2 7s.

I'd like to apply to Oxford, Manchester, Newcastle and Imperial atm, although I doubt I will even be considered for oxford. So far, I've started preparing for my AS levels. I'm doing virtual work experience (BSMS). I haven't done any volunteering, however. Can anybody recommend anything for me to do?

Also, I've taken Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A-level and I also hope to do an EPQ as well.
lucybirdx
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by anomaLous_2004)
Hello, I'm a 16-year-old aspiring to be a physician as well.

I'm hoping to get at least 3 9s, 5 8s and 2 7s.

I'd like to apply to Oxford, Manchester, Newcastle and Imperial atm, although I doubt I will even be considered for oxford. So far, I've started preparing for my AS levels. I'm doing virtual work experience (BSMS). I haven't done any volunteering, however. Can anybody recommend anything for me to do?

Also, I've taken Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A-level and I also hope to do an EPQ as well.
Read about 10 posts up. I did a thing on volunteering and we
anomaLous_2004
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thanks
Vittorial
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 minutes ago
Hi I'm going into Year 12 and also aspiring to go into medicine

I'm hoping for all 7s, 8s and 9s at GCSE but I am unsure as to whether I will actually get these grades

I am taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A-Level and at the moment I am hoping to apply to Oxford, Keele, Cardiff and St. George's. My 5th option will be Warwick for Health and Medical Sciences as a back up option.

So far I have started doing preparation work for A-Levels, I have just sent my application to volunteer at my local hospital and I have been reading medical books since I was in Year 9

I am quite worried about applying to med school as I have a chronic illness and am worried that that might hinder my progress to becoming a doctor
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (39)
8.07%
Confident (65)
13.46%
Indifferent (68)
14.08%
Unsure (120)
24.84%
Worried (191)
39.54%

Watched Threads