The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

wow, how did you get it organised? I've been looking for ages, no success.
Hi

in my gcse's I got 2 9's, 7 8's and 1 7. I'm worried about applying to uni's that rank on gcse results as so many people seem to have straight 9s this year.

I have done the BSMS work experience and found it really useful. I volunteer at scouts, and have also volunteered at beavers so have experienced different children ages. Ive volunteered in scouting for 3 years now. I was lucky enough to get a first aid qualification doing my scouting young leader training too. I also coach at a girls football team and have done quite a bit of refereeing now, and I help at school coaching younger years basketball teams. I do sport and I am an explorer scout myself. I went on a medic mentor insight into medicine weekend before the pandemic and found that so helpful. It was great hearing from different doctors, especially the doctor who uses his spare time/holidays to sign up as an expedition medic as well.

I'm a bit worried about finding actual medical experience or care home experience because of the pandemic. I really want to apply to St Andrews and their admission detail suggests they really look for medical/care experience. Also, how do you get care home volunteering experience. I was in discussions with a GP group before the pandemic arranging work experience and obviously explained I was hoping to study medicine but it seems weird to say that to volunteer in a care home, it sounds like I'm only doing it because I want to study medicine.

I am doing 3 a levels - Chem, Bio, Geog. I was going to do psychology as a 4th but school advised me to stick with 3.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi

So, I'm currently in a muddle ;/ I have been wanting to do medicine since around yr9/yr 10, before GCSEs really. And I unfortunately did not receive the grades for alevels so I took a gap year in which I ended up working in a pharmacy. I resat some of my exams but still did not manage to get in. However, I ended up doing pharmacy at uni and I've just finished my first year. During this summer, I realised that choosing pharmacy might have been the wrong choice and after speaking to my tutor, I was able to get into 2nd yr biomed at the same uni which was great. But my question really is that does your course matter like in the sense of the course you do or just the grade you get at the end such as a 1st or 2:1 etc.
I just know a lot of people do biomed for grad med so would that put me in a disadvantage over pharmacy? Also, the length of pharmacy has made me wary as it is 5yrs including pre reg ?
Thank youuuu for any replies :smile:
Do graduates apply to only 4 courses or can it be pure 5 undergrad courses on UCAS? Or is it same as school leaver which can only apply to 4?
Whaaaat, why do they have that in place for graduates applying to undergrad? What should I put as my fifth option then if i've already studied biomedical science?
What happens if you put medicine as the fifth option? do unis reject it?
Hi guyssssss,
So im considering tutoring a gcse student (year 11) and I'm in year 12. She wants paid tuition for chemistry. I got a 9 in all sciences (12 A*), so I'm confident I could do the job to an acceptable standard.
The thing is, would this be a good use of my time if I'm aiming for medicine? Will I be able to mention this on my PS + interview + reference + anything else?
Would it be a good activity in general? It will not affect my own academic studies.
I seee makes sense thanks
Preparing for Olmypiads etc. Would you say its worth it though,in general? Would it help in a med application?
Reply 389
Is taking IELTS, BMAT, and UCAT all in one summer hard?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 390
Would it be possible for me to sit the IELTS exam after I have applied?
hi!
To make my application "stronger" for medicine entry 2022, what unique things could I do that immediately might interest a admissions tutor looking at my ps (excluding wex, volunteering etc). For example are there any competitions or medicine specific "things" which I could do over the next one and a bit years?
thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
I am currently 19 and doing A-levels via distance learning (I'll be taking my exams next May/June), I didnt do A-levels at 18 due to personal problems meaning I had to drop out of sixth form. I was planning to apply to medicine this October and have my UCAT next week. However, a series of events have happened recently and I do not feel ready for my UCAT nor applying for medicine. I am now therefore considering applying to medicine next September instead, at which point I will have already done my A-levels. There are a lot of pros of doing this for me, especially the idea of having a year where I can travel,etc before going to do university, and it will allow me to apply for medicine with a much stronger application. However this does mean I wouldnt be going to university till 2022, and would be 21 nearly 22 on going. Would this put me at a disadvantage? Is it normal for older students to do undergraduate medicine? Has anyone done anything similar? Just dont have anyone to speak to about it so thought I would ask for some advice on here. Many thanks.
At my med school (which does standard undergrad medicine only - please don't ask which!) I teach plenty of mature (i.e. non 18 year old) students, it's fine!

You're a professor😲😮 omg
Brilliant, thank you so much!!
If anyone here got a 9 I’m English lit how do you know which these to revise for each book. How do you know how many themes there are in a book. Eg Romeo and Juliet, a Christmas Carol
Original post by turquoisedaisy
At my med school (which does standard undergrad medicine only - please don't ask which!) I teach plenty of mature (i.e. non 18 year old) students, it's fine!

You're a professor😲😮 omg

ANOTHER promotion? Get you!!! I am still only at Lecturer level!
:adore: :adore:
Now be careful, or I will look out my certificates and use all my letters, too!!
I think the only way that is happening is as a Pantomime Dame!!
Original post by unknownm123
If anyone here got a 9 I’m English lit how do you know which these to revise for each book. How do you know how many themes there are in a book. Eg Romeo and Juliet, a Christmas Carol

hey there! i did get a 9! honestly it depends on the book. there’s usually some generic themes that tend to run through many books, power, love etc. but i reccomended watchinf youtube videos on themes, like mr bruff, or even looking at the preview of a york notes revision guide (in the contents page they have a list of themes). since there isn’t a set number make a list of the ones u find from different sources, and if any are similar then group them together! hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending