Every med school has some sort of peer support for free
justme2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CartoonSoldier)
Every med school has some sort of peer support for free
I thought they were talking about mentoring through the whole application process...oops
CartoonSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by justme2001)
I thought they were talking about mentoring through the whole application process...oops
hahah you could be right. in that case idk. depends what level of support your school gives. I was lucky enough to go to a school where they were super familiar with the medicine application and could support me. idk what i'd do if i didnt have that
justme2001
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CartoonSoldier)
hahah you could be right. in that case idk. depends what level of support your school gives. I was lucky enough to go to a school where they were super familiar with the medicine application and could support me. idk what i'd do if i didnt have that
Yeah same! Thats why I just offer it to people for free because I never had to pay so why should anyone else.
turquoisedaisy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by justme2001)
I'm a 2nd year medic.

Will gladly mentor anyone for free

Services like that should be a given
I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions...
can you tell me when you applied for your work experience? I'm currently in year 11, going into year 12 and I'm a bit worried whether I'll find placements for next year given so many people are applying now. And also, how is medic life generally?
Last edited by turquoisedaisy; 3 weeks ago
andrei00
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, guys do think that applying to Medicine for the 2022 entry going to change or is it going to be affected by the pandemic?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by andrei00)
Hi, guys do think that applying to Medicine for the 2022 entry going to change or is it going to be affected by the pandemic?
Well, that is a very speculative question.

It depends on whether there will be a second wave and (the chances are there will be) how it will affect the hospitals and schools.

Currently at my med school and NHS trust, all work experience has been suspended until at least January 2021 so yes some work experience will be impacted.
justme2001
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by turquoisedaisy)
I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions...
can you tell me when you applied for your work experience? I'm currently in year 11, going into year 12 and I'm a bit worried whether I'll find placements for next year given so many people are applying now. And also, how is medic life generally?
I think there's some places like Brighton Medical School offering work experience. I applied for work experience in the November of year 12 for the experience to commence in July of year 12. I also did work experience with family members because I am lucky enough to come from a family of doctors so I did a week of work experience in a hospital with them. I would say look at the hospitals application timelines to ensure you are applying at the right time as a lot of deadlines are in the winter of year 12. Don't be worried as everyone is in the same position. If this was me applying for medical school, I know that at a time like this my family wouldn't have wanted me doing work experience with them. Also for a lot of uni's work experience isn't compulsory so don't worry Medic life is very difficult, the workload is intense but just balance it well and you'll be alright. Obviously that's how I feel for my uni but many people would have had different experiences to me.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is there any point to spending money on the services they offer? Or can the "advice" they give just be found online with some researching?
(Original post by buckleten)
Mmm I wonder the same thing.
No need, plenty of med students and doctors here on TSR who will be very happy to help.

Feel free to ask us any questions!
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is there any point to spending money on the services they offer? Or can the "advice" they give just be found online with some researching?
As said, there are loads of people on TSR who are happy to offer advice for free and it’s not that hard to look up.

I can understand why they might be useful for people at schools that aren’t providing any support, if you really want 1 to 1 in person support, or to take advantage of the essay competitions/scholarships/leadership opportunities they offer, which I do wish I’d heard of before applying just because they sound quite interesting (some of which I believe are free anyway). But completely not necessary, and you shouldn’t need to pay anyone to get into med school.
hhhhhhhwusjs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would one be able to do the ucat this year (October time) and use that score for next year's application? - the reason they'd use it next year is because they choose to do the 2021 exam for the subject that was not an A (instead of autumn time).
Last edited by hhhhhhhwusjs; 3 weeks ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hhhhhhhwusjs)
Would one be able to do the ucat this year (October time) and use that score for next year's application?...
No, the UCAT is only valid for one cycle. i.e. you take it in 2020, apply in October 2020 for 2021 entry or 2022 deferred entry but you have to have applied by October 2020.

If you wanted to apply in October 2021, you'll have to take the UCAT in Summer 2021.
hhhhhhhwusjs
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
No, the UCAT is only valid for one cycle. i.e. you take it in 2020, apply in October 2020 for 2021 entry or 2022 deferred entry but you have to have applied by October 2020.

If you wanted to apply in October 2021, you'll have to take the UCAT in Summer 2021.
Okay.
(this is for 2021) So a person does the summer exam for the subject they need an A in. Gets the grade in August - results day. Does the UCAT
(final UCAT sitting is beginning of October)
Applies for med (deadline sometime middle of October, forgotten lol).
Interviews etc.
Done?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay.
(this is for 2021) So a person does the summer exam for the subject they need an A in. Gets the grade in August - results day. Does the UCAT
(final UCAT sitting is beginning of October)
Applies for med (deadline sometime middle of October, forgotten lol).
Interviews etc.
Done?
You are making this sound so complicated :lol:

You take the exams in June 2021, get the results by August 2021, do UCAT in October 2021 and apply by 15th October 2021 6pm for 2022/23 entry?
hhhhhhhwusjs
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
You are making this sound so complicated :lol:

You take the exams in June 2021, get the results by August 2021, do UCAT in October 2021 and apply by 15th October 2021 6pm for 2022/23 entry?
Complicated?
That's exactly what I said but okay. Thanks anyways
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Complicated?
That's exactly what I said but okay. Thanks anyways
Yes, you have to take the UCAT in 2021, for 2022 entry. You can't take it this year.
hhhhhhhwusjs
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Also, I don't see the point in anyone resitting an exam in autumn because med schools won't be accepting. Maybe other than it not counting as a resit?
Why not just take your time, and do the exam for whichever subject you need in June next year?... 🤷*♂️
Edit: this is if you don't get the grades.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Also, I don't see the point in anyone resitting an exam in autumn because med schools won't be accepting. Maybe other than it not counting as a resit?
Some do not count them as a resit (e.g. UCL), but will require you to reapply in October 2020 for 2021 entry.

Also, having achieved grades can be an advantage at some med schools. Of course, if you already achieved your required grades by the time that the interviews finish you may even have an unconditional offer if you met the other requirements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (159)
58.24%
No they should not (84)
30.77%
Abstain (30)
10.99%

Watched Threads