Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2022 Entry

Watch
hhhhhhhwusjs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Some do not count them as a resit (e.g. UCL), but will require you to reapply in October 2020 for 2021 entry.

Also, having achieved grades can be an advantage at some med schools. Of course, if you already achieved your required grades by the time that the interviews finish you may even have an unconditional offer if you met the other requirements.
How is that possible? Because the autumn exams are in October, you don't know your results. Would you have to apply with predicted grades until you get your results?
Edit : so some unis will be classifying the autumn exams as resits?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hhhhhhhwusjs)
How is that possible? Because the autumn exams are in October, you don't know your results. Would you have to apply with predicted grades until you get your results?
Yes, but you can tell the Uni that you have achieved the results by January or February or whatever. I am pretty certain that UCAS will update the system with your achieved grades too.

You don't have to wait until Results Day in August, that's the thing.
hhhhhhhwusjs
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, but you can tell the Uni that you have achieved the results by January or February or whatever. I am pretty certain that UCAS will update the system with your achieved grades too.

You don't have to wait until Results Day in August, that's the thing.
Ahh, so let's presume you get an offer. you'll basically know from January/Feb time whether or not you've got a place....and will have to wait almost a whole year to start...basically 9 months to just "chill" or do further reading lol.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ahh, so let's presume you get an offer. you'll basically know from January/Feb time whether or not you've got a place....and will have to wait almost a whole year to start...basically 9 months to just "chill" or do further reading lol.
Exactly. There are definite advantages to this.
zacn01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wow you medics are quick, are there any other 2022 threads yet?
hhhhhhhwusjs
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Exactly. There are definite advantages to this.
Tbh, I'm predicting I will have to do one exam (maths, edexcel - I have dyscalculia and underperformed throughout year 12/13 - don't think I'll make the A, prob C at best). I can choose to do it in Autumn, and just begin revising solely maths now. However, I'll have to do my ucat this year, too. And then, like you said, apply like normal in October. Then, come Jan/Feb, I'll get my results. Best case scenario: got the grades, 9 months to chill before uni.
However, now this is a big however lol, I can't bring myself to revise for autumn. I just can't. I know if I really knuckle down, I could but I don't have the effort. Sooo, instead, I'm planning to do the exam in 2021, ucat and whatever else needed. Get my results August 2021. Apply October 2021 with 2 achieved grades and 1 resit grade (is it a resit even tho I'm doing the exam for the first time) ?
So on and so forth.
What do you think?... be brutally honest.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
...What do you think?... be brutally honest.
Your plan sounds practical, the only obstacle is yourself!

Work hard and think of the potential rewards :dumbells:

Remember, there will be plenty of exams in the life of a doctor - you can't just "not bring yourself to revise". You'll just have to cope - while working shifts and have long hours.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you, you're such a help.
Also, you missed out something I said: technically speaking, I'll be doing the maths exam for the first time in 2021, why does it count as a resit?
Depends on med school policies - some will say that you have to achieve all your A-Levels in 2 years, others will not.

e.g. you have done A-Level English, Arts and History in 2018-2020, then A-Level Biology, Chemistry and Maths in 2020-2022 <- some may still call them resits.

But remember, upto 20 (and increasing) med schools accept resits so not all is lost even if it is counted as a resit.
hhhhhhhwusjs
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Remember, there will be plenty of exams in the life of a doctor - you can't just "not bring yourself to revise". You'll just have to cope - while working shifts and have long hours.
Yeah, I'm just really lazy. Passed few months have changed my perception on the world.
More to life than working all the time.
However, it's probably just a phase. 🤷*♂️
kissa_kig
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone, I hope you're all safe . I am also an aspiring medic in yr 11 and am hoping for a good results day ( I was predicted 9 8's but I'm prepared to retake in november).
I would like to apply to oxbridge ( we have a while to pick) imperial, ucl and glasgow/ edinburgh and biochemistry as a 5th option- not sure where though. I have just started on a-level prep and will be doing bio, chem, physics and geography or maybe drop physics to do maths instead. I am doing the BSMS work experience and have no current volunteering - hoping to start in sixth form.
Reading everyone elses' posts I feel so underprepared but good luck to everyone.
lucybirdx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by kissa_kig)
Hi everyone, I hope you're all safe . I am also an aspiring medic in yr 11 and am hoping for a good results day ( I was predicted 9 8's but I'm prepared to retake in november).
I would like to apply to oxbridge ( we have a while to pick) imperial, ucl and glasgow/ edinburgh and biochemistry as a 5th option- not sure where though. I have just started on a-level prep and will be doing bio, chem, physics and geography or maybe drop physics to do maths instead. I am doing the BSMS work experience and have no current volunteering - hoping to start in sixth form.
Reading everyone elses' posts I feel so underprepared but good luck to everyone.
You're not underprepared don't worry!! I know a lot of medicine applicants who only started volunteering half way through year 12! Remember, it's not so much about how much volunteering you do and more about how you reflect on it!! Best of luck for your application
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by kissa_kig)
Personally I only got my volunteering actively started midway through year 12. I had a week of work experience between school and sixth form but given the current situation that wouldn’t have been possible. A lot of people had more than me but it’s more about what you learn and how you reflect as lucybirdx says.

What I found most useful was keeping a reflective diary where I would write what I’d seen, done, learned, anything I found challenging, things that could have been different, anything I wanted to go away and find out as a result . As long as you keep it without identifying information and stick to confidentiality principles it is such a good resource for personal statement and interview preparation
hhhhhhhwusjs
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Instead of applying for the 2022/2023 cycle, can I just ring up unis on results day next year after I've got the maths' grade I need?
I ask, because a lot of students don't meet their offers.
And if there are no spaces, then I can proceed to do what I've already spoken about in my previous posts. Worth a try, is it not?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Instead of applying for the 2022/2023 cycle, can I just ring up unis on results day next year after I've got the maths' grade I need?
I ask, because a lot of students don't meet their offers.
And if there are no spaces, then I can proceed to do what I've already spoken about in my previous posts. Worth a try, is it not?
Definitely worth a try. I've moved your post here now.
hhhhhhhwusjs
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Results day is August.
If I get offered a place on the spot, I'll have to do an interview, right? But I won't need to do my ucat? As I won't be applying that year (if I get an offer on the day)
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Results day is August.
If I get offered a place on the spot, I'll have to do an interview, right? But I won't need to do my ucat? As I won't be applying that year (if I get an offer on the day)
Let's get this clear. You will need a UCAT score - one way or another.

Some anecdotal reports suggest that you can use the UCAT that year for that year's Clearing (e.g. UCAT taken in August 2020, for Clearing in 2020, course starts in September 2020).

However looking at this year, it seems like you can't - SGUL stated that must have had last year's UCAT score (i.e UCAT taken in Summer 2019) to be eligible for Clearing 2020.

Remember, the entry requirements will not decrease just because it's Clearing. It's med schools' deliberate attempt to look for people who did better than expected, and they will still want UCAT / BMAT scores like their other applicants.

I would still take the UCAT that summer if I were you - if anyway Medicine Clearing is sooo rare and hard to get in that you should be prepared for next year's entry anyway.
hhhhhhhwusjs
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Let's get this clear. You will need a UCAT score - one way or another.

Some anecdotal reports suggest that you can use the UCAT that year for that year's Clearing (e.g. UCAT taken in August 2020, for Clearing in 2020, course starts in September 2020).

However looking at this year, it seems like you can't - SGUL stated that must have had last year's UCAT score (i.e UCAT taken in Summer 2019) to be eligible for Clearing 2020.

Remember, the entry requirements will not decrease just because it's Clearing. It's med schools' deliberate attempt to look for people who did better than expected, and they will still want UCAT / BMAT scores like their other applicants.

I would still take the UCAT that summer if I were you - if anyway Medicine Clearing is sooo rare and hard to get in that you should be prepared for next year's entry anyway.
Okay, so doing the ucat in October is out of the bag then lol (if I'm wanting to ring up on results day next year) because on the off-chance I do find a place, they'd want my ucat score to decide whether or not they want to give me an interview.....?
Last edited by hhhhhhhwusjs; 2 weeks ago
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Results day is August.
You won't get offered a place on the spot. They will check academics and UCAT to make sure you meet any cut offs and then interview you and you will be competing against all other applicants through Clearing. SGUL have about 50 applicants for every available place through clearing
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Okay, so doing the ucat in October is out of the bag then lol (if I'm wanting to ring up on results day next year) because on the off-chance I do find a place, they'd want my ucat score to decide whether or not they want to give me an interview.....?
Yes and the chances are they will want to know your UCAT score from last year.
hhhhhhhwusjs
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
from last year.
As in 2020 - looking at it from next year's perspective?
Because I'm not doing the ucat this year....
I did it last year tho (2019)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (159)
58.24%
No they should not (84)
30.77%
Abstain (30)
10.99%

Watched Threads