The Student Room Group

Paramedic science

Where is the best university to study paramedic science (in 2021)
If you are going by university rankings that do Paramedic Science then University of East Anglia would be the best followed by St George's, UoL.
Original post by 3969530
Where is the best university to study paramedic science (in 2021)

There is no such thing as best uni for paramedic science. It’s what’s best for you. Location, teaching style etc. Look at some unis online and see what their entry requirements are. Take virtual tours and now they are offering online open days. Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by 5thchild
There is no such thing as best uni for paramedic science. It’s what’s best for you. Location, teaching style etc. Look at some unis online and see what their entry requirements are. Take virtual tours and now they are offering online open days. Good luck

Thank you, it's so hard to narrow down when you can't go feel the uni
Reply 4
Original post by 5thchild

Thank you, it's so hard to narrow down when you can't go feel the uni. Do you know of anyone with positive experience with this course at particular unis?
Reply 5
Original post by Frazzle27
If you are going by university rankings that do Paramedic Science then University of East Anglia would be the best followed by St George's, UoL.

Yeah but St Georges only have a TEF rating of bronze (this shows quality of teaching), personally, I listen more to TEF, past student experience and graduate prospects than university rankings
Original post by 3969530
Yeah but St Georges only have a TEF rating of bronze (this shows quality of teaching), personally, I listen more to TEF, past student experience and graduate prospects than university rankings

Definitely. A lot more goes into deciding what university is best for you than just rankings.

Quality of teaching is very hard to determine for each course as the TEF ranking is for the institution as a whole - past student experience would be a better indicator for this.
Graduate prospects are the same everywhere for paramedic science as you definitely won't find it hard to get work.
Facillities for paramedic science are mostly the same everywhere. Most universities have mock ambulances, immersion rooms and other equipment. The main thing that differs in facillities between each course would be access to a cadaver lab which you will only find in universities co-located with medical schools (I think).
In my opinion, the most important thing would be to look at the teaching staff at each course you are considering and see what they specialize in. For example, if you think you like critical care, find a university where more of the teaching staff work on HEMS or as advanced paramedics. If you find mental health interesting find a course which has a strong mental health element. These things are probably what differ the most between each course and what I would put more emphasis on.
Reply 7
Original post by Frazzle27
Definitely. A lot more goes into deciding what university is best for you than just rankings.

Quality of teaching is very hard to determine for each course as the TEF ranking is for the institution as a whole - past student experience would be a better indicator for this.
Graduate prospects are the same everywhere for paramedic science as you definitely won't find it hard to get work.
Facillities for paramedic science are mostly the same everywhere. Most universities have mock ambulances, immersion rooms and other equipment. The main thing that differs in facillities between each course would be access to a cadaver lab which you will only find in universities co-located with medical schools (I think).
In my opinion, the most important thing would be to look at the teaching staff at each course you are considering and see what they specialize in. For example, if you think you like critical care, find a university where more of the teaching staff work on HEMS or as advanced paramedics. If you find mental health interesting find a course which has a strong mental health element. These things are probably what differ the most between each course and what I would put more emphasis on.

Yeahhh that makes complete sense, is so difficult to decide without seeing them

Quick Reply

Latest