The Student Room Group

My boyfriend is white and I'm asian

So basically unno how my parents won't except my boyfriend coz he is white. I told him about this and he got very upset. He even started to cry and I told him that I would love him so it doesn't matter. At the same time I want my parents to like him. But the problem is I feel like my parents would not like the idea he is white and not asian. I also told him that I dont think we would get married coz of this. I dont blame my parents because that's how they were raised. I told him I like him no matter what. We talked about this last week and today he was sad and thought about it and he is extremely upset. I feel like this is my fault I shouldn't have told him about this but I know he will like me no matter what. Also, the reason why I wanted to tell him is because if I told him later it would become extremely unfair on him. I dont know what to do know. Is it my fault?
Original post by Anonymous
So basically unno how my parents won't except my boyfriend coz he is white. I told him about this and he got very upset. He even started to cry and I told him that I would love him so it doesn't matter. At the same time I want my parents to like him. But the problem is I feel like my parents would not like the idea he is white and not asian. I also told him that I dont think we would get married coz of this. I dont blame my parents because that's how they were raised. I told him I like him no matter what. We talked about this last week and today he was sad and thought about it and he is extremely upset. I feel like this is my fault I shouldn't have told him about this but I know he will like me no matter what. Also, the reason why I wanted to tell him is because if I told him later it would become extremely unfair on him. I dont know what to do know. Is it my fault?

Maybe its the way you told him? Just give him some reassurance. How old are you both and how long together? Probably wont win your parents round, but also unlikely to last. See what happens.
how old are u both
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe its the way you told him? Just give him some reassurance. How old are you both and how long together? Probably wont win your parents round, but also unlikely to last. See what happens.

I told him honestly coz I dont want him to be sad about it. I'm 16 nearly 17 in few days and he is 18. We known each other for 1 year but been together for 4 months.
Reply 4
how old are u both

I'm 16 nearly 17 and he is 18.
I told him honestly coz I dont want him to be sad about it. I'm 16 nearly 17 in few days and he is 18. We known each other for 1 year but been together for 4 months.

Just see how it goes. Marriage is unlikely to be an issue as you will probably split way before then. At least they havent forbidden you.
I know people who have been in the exact same situation as you and they managed to get their parents' approval. It'll take time but eventually they should realise that it'll make you happiest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending